Are there any vegetarian or vegan footballers?

alexmc

Debutant
Jul 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why is any vegan talk always a magnet for morons? What are they all abbatoir workers worried about their jobs or just idiots still brainwashed from that meat commercial with Sam kekovic. I'm not even vegan but I have been a vegetarian, im just annoyed by stupidity.

Soberian Tiger

Borat's cousin twice removed from village
Jul 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
A sportsperson turning vegan in adulthood is often used to "prove" vegan sporting capability. All it does is point to the distinct possibility that growing up non-vegan is very important in regards to sporting capability.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
Red meat causes cancer was epidemiology and relied heavily on FFQ (food frequency questioners) and the strange part, well not that strange, the 800 studies (from the original Lancet findings) have yet to be released to scientists, journalists or the public. Its normal procedure for a finding like this to be released a week early for it to be studied before the embargo is lifted. This hasn't. Its as dodgy as a man made vegan lamb chop.
On this topic specifically, I've personally been vary wary of studies linking cause and effect as they're usually paid for by vested interests, leading to biased outcomes. If you ask the greens for a report on logging it will be very different to that of the forest industry.
In the dairy argument, it is very difficult to find an unbiased report linking dairy consumption with osteoporosis, yet a 2 min google search on 'countries with high dairy consumption' and 'countries with osteoporosis levels' reveals almost identical countries. How can this be if dairy is meant to be good for our bones? I've just read and watched a lot and drawn my own conclusions.
The WHO report you put up would have got a hammering from the meat industry, hence their tweet to 'clarify'. The meat industry is a very, very powerful lobby group as you can imagine. For the WHO to even suggest a reduction in meat consumption is a pretty big step away from the status quo don't you think?

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
Just in case you weren't trolling and genuinely didn't know, there are plenty of leather alternatives for things like belts, fancy shoes, handbags, wallets etc.
Hmmm chemicals are needed to produce non leather products..vegans are often very environmentally conscious

Ghossein

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Team Arrogance
"HURRRR DURRRRR HOW YOU KNOW A VEGAN DOESNT EAT MEAT BECAUSE THEY TELL YOU ABOUT IT LOL GET IT BECAUSE VEGANS ONLY TALK ABOUT VEGAN DERPDERPDERPDERPDERP"

Yet look at all the people in a thread about plant based diets crapping on about how good meat is.

"Yeah but evolutionary biology1!!!!1!"

WTF?

I mean, I guess? Haven’t seen too many people saying what you’ve quoted, I suppose when you have people claiming red meat is the same as asbestos inhalation then it’s hard not to get “defensive”

Apr 7, 2013
Cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons
I mean, I guess? Haven’t seen too many people saying what you’ve quoted, I suppose when you have people claiming red meat is the same as asbestos inhalation then it’s hard not to get “defensive”
"What's for dinner Dad?"

"Mixed grill Son - so asbestos, plutonium and some thorium-232 with eggs and chips"

"Yum!"

"Would you like some ethanol with your mixed grill Son? I can add a twist of your favourite mixer if you like... Arsenic!"

"Yes please Dad! You're the greatest"

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ghossein

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Team Arrogance
My tone? I just posted some links. I quoted a post of yours that used the word 'bullshit'. My tone is fine.

The point is you felt the need to respond to the post with "If vegans want to partake in their particular lifestyle good for them, but they need to stop sprouting this absolute bullshit." with an extremely long winded rant about how meat is literally the spawn of satan and eating a steak once a meat is basically the same as being exposed to Chernobyl-levels of radiation

On the stats. You are correct in part. I don't know the exposure to asbestos to cancer ratio i.e. the likelihood of getting cancer.
But I can easily find a statistic that 25% of deaths (higher for men) in the US are contributed to heart disease, the cause I stated above.
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/amp/282929
However doesn't it concern you/strike you as odd that as a society we are actively warned not to have any contact with cancer causing agents such as tobacco or asbestos yet we are overwhelmingly encouraged to eat something that we know will lead (or strongly contribute) to causing heart disease? Our biggest killer? I agree that if asbestos was actively foreced on us as a society then that would likely be the biggest killer. But it's not. We're told not to go near it. The comparison to asbestos is trivial. The one in 4 thing concerns me personally so I choose a plant based diet. The articles I've posted support/explain my decision. It shouldn't simply be written off as 'bullshit' because you don't agree. I find it interesting that many people who consume meat get so aggressive when confronted with facts that oppose their views.

Yes, you probably can, but you're again taking an ideological view. Not all heart disease is caused by red meat, and i'm sure you're aware of that, so claiming that you can pin 1/4 deaths down to meat consumption is facetious at best and deliberately misleading at worse. I personally never wrote a plant-based diet off as 'bullshit', I simply stated it didn't really suit me and that people should be free to find the diet that best suits them. What I dislike is people who view their diet as an extension of their political beliefs and feel the need to scream at people.

On this topic specifically, I've personally been vary wary of studies linking cause and effect as they're usually paid for by vested interests, leading to biased outcomes. If you ask the greens for a report on logging it will be very different to that of the forest industry.
In the dairy argument, it is very difficult to find an unbiased report linking dairy consumption with osteoporosis, yet a 2 min google search on 'countries with high dairy consumption' and 'countries with osteoporosis levels' reveals almost identical countries. How can this be if dairy is meant to be good for our bones? I've just read and watched a lot and drawn my own conclusions.
The WHO report you put up would have got a hammering from the meat industry, hence their tweet to 'clarify'. The meat industry is a very, very powerful lobby group as you can imagine. For the WHO to even suggest a reduction in meat consumption is a pretty big step away from the status quo don't you think?

Doctors have been advocating for reduced intakes of red meat for decades, well before the report was published. I'd also like to point out that "a 2 min google search on 'countries with high dairy consumption' and 'countries with osteoporosis levels'" is not a legitimate statistical analysis.

Overall I don't think your diet is ridiculous, but your continued attempts to make correlation = causation are....

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
seriously if you want to eat nothing but tofu and parsnips then that's your prerogative, I just don't see why 95% of the vegan population has to act like they're on some kind of crusade

Probably because for many of those who make the choice for moral reasons, it is a crusade.

Last edited:

FruitTingles

Senior List
Oct 12, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Heart disease is probably caused by a mixture of high saturated fat and simple carb intake. Take out red meat and the saturated fat content decreases significantly. (E.g. no sausages for breakfast and steak for dinner each night).

I'm a meat eater myself, but I do take the point that a vego friend makes: that nobody has quite as many opinions on another person's diet as a meat-eater who has been recently introduced to a vegetarian.
Its almost like someone else's dietary choices are entirely their own, hey?

I will say though, I've got a lot of guilt over how much meat I eat. At least half of my lunches and dinners involve meat, something I'd like to cut down more for the sake of the planet. I have no moral objection to animals being killed for meat, as long as its done humanely and in a free range environment, but the impact the meat industry has on the environment is enormous.

Ghossein

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Team Arrogance
Probably because for many of those who make the choice for moral reasons, it is a crusade.

That doesn't make it less annoying?

Your methods are so tremendously effective that they're used in communication lecturers about how not to convey a message

Ghossein

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Team Arrogance
Heart disease is probably caused by a mixture of high saturated fat and simple carb intake. Take out red meat and the saturated fat content decreases significantly. (E.g. no sausages for breakfast and steak for dinner each night).

and smoking, and drinking, and genetics, and poor physical fitness, and age, and gender, and diabetes, and sedentary lifestyles, and psychological factors

but yes, it's cos of the sausages

Apr 7, 2013
Cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons
I'm not even sure there is a single person on the planet who eats sausages for breakfast and steak every night. For real?

How about sausage once every 2-3 weeks, steak 1-1.5 times a fortnight, lamb the same with chicken, pork and seafood making up the rest...

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
I have no issues with the vegan choice....but if you wear leather shoes or own a leather wallet and use other animal bassd products then hmmm are you fair dinkum vegan.....

Horse saddle leather...

So on

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
That doesn't make it less annoying?

Your methods are so tremendously effective that they're used in communication lecturers about how not to convey a message

I'm not saying it makes it less annoying, just saying that why veganism "feels like a crusade" is that because for some, that's exactly what it is.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
I'm not even sure there is a single person on the planet who eats sausages for breakfast and steak every night.
I know right? It's almost as stupid as thinking a vegan lives on tofu and parsnips and have to carry their money and bus ticket in a hessian bag because wallets that aren't made of leather haven't been invented yet.

Ghossein

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Team Arrogance
I know right? It's almost as stupid as thinking a vegan lives on tofu and parsnips and have to carry their money and bus ticket in a hessian bag because wallets that aren't made of leather haven't been invented yet.

you're still triggered about it? do you want me to edit my post?

FruitTingles

Senior List
Oct 12, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm not even sure there is a single person on the planet who eats sausages for breakfast and steak every night. For real?

How about sausage once every 2-3 weeks, steak 1-1.5 times a fortnight, lamb the same with chicken, pork and seafood making up the rest...

The English for one. Polish/Germans. It’s necessarily useful looking at todays diet, but rather what people were eating 30+ years ago as they are the ones from which useful heart disease data can be taken.

Essentially the idea is: The vegetarian diet is superior as far as it reduces saturated fat intake vs the average population. An equivalent meat based diet with lean cuts or moderation will produce similar results.

FruitTingles

Senior List
Oct 12, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
and smoking, and drinking, and genetics, and poor physical fitness, and age, and gender, and diabetes, and sedentary lifestyles, and psychological factors

but yes, it's cos of the sausages

They are all underlying causes of inflammation, you could also add a lack of sleep to the mix.

Back