Are there any vegetarian or vegan footballers?

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a pretty cynical way of looking at it. Most vegans I know believe in the ‘progress, not perfection principle.’

It’s borderline impossible and impractical in the modern world to eliminate animal products altogether but you can do a myriad of little things to improve the situation for animals, and more importantly, for the planet on the whole.
Oh, I agree. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty big on animal welfare. I just posted that picture for the lulz.

its growing in popularity with more and more evidence its not harmful. Id love to try it but would be bored. For me a plant based died it best. 75-80% plant 25-30% animal is the perfect combination.

giphy.gif

I'm vegan and the main reason I do it is for the health benefits. I've felt a lot better since changing my diet.

I don't have a problem with leather boots either. I find it weird that people find that hypocritical itt.

This is an interesting point. I'm 100% vegetarian and eat about 95% vegan but I'm not going to make a fuss at a restaurant if the only vego option has milk used in the sauce or something like that. I'm vegetarian mainly for ethical reasons - in terms of health I feel no different at all to when I ate meat, maybe because I was already eating plenty of veggies and I still eat plenty of protein. I could never justify killing an animal because I would prefer to eat that than something else which is also perfectly nutritious and tasty, but you can't deny the utility of leather. I haven't bought leather shoes or belts since I went veg 2.5 years ago but I also haven't stopped wearing the leather items I owned before then and they're all still going strong. I've gone through quite a few shitty faux-leather belts and busted out a number of pairs of shoes made without leather in that time though. I wish cow skin wasn't so damn useful.

Vegans who find it hypocritical that people who eat plant-based wear leather because that means that while you eat vegan, you're not actually vegan by definition; vegans avoid consuming or using any animal product wherever possible.

This is an interesting point. I'm 100% vegetarian and eat about 95% vegan but I'm not going to make a fuss at a restaurant if the only vego option has milk used in the sauce or something like that. I'm vegetarian mainly for ethical reasons - in terms of health I feel no different at all to when I ate meat, maybe because I was already eating plenty of veggies and I still eat plenty of protein. I could never justify killing an animal because I would prefer to eat that than something else which is also perfectly nutritious and tasty, but you can't deny the utility of leather. I haven't bought leather shoes or belts since I went veg 2.5 years ago but I also haven't stopped wearing the leather items I owned before then and they're all still going strong. I've gone through quite a few shitty faux-leather belts and busted out a number of pairs of shoes made without leather in that time though. I wish cow skin wasn't so damn useful.

Vegans who find it hypocritical that people who eat plant-based wear leather because that means that while you eat vegan, you're not actually vegan by definition; vegans avoid consuming or using any animal product wherever possible.

I find it's more the meat eaters itt (and in rl) basically saying if you wear a leather shoe what's the point, you might as well not be a vegan. So weird.

It's like saying I found a cure for 99% of cancer cases, but I decided to not release it because what's the point if I can't save 100%.

Vegans that cheat on 1% (or whatever) percent of the time are still doing a good thing.

There’s a fair bit of research floating around that the traditional meat heavy western diet isn’t good for high performance, or general health.

We don’t need nearly as much protein as people think, so a vegetarian / vegan can comfortably meet those requirements.

The big thing for me is that people should eat significantly more fruit and vegetables than they generally do in countries like Australia or the US, and if people do choose to consume meat, they go with smaller portions than we’re used to, from local farmers.

From memory, the most sustainable diet from an environmental perspective is being a vegetarian that consumes eggs.

on the wireless the other day a bbc dude was saying that the number of people becoming vegos is inctrasing but the duration is falling. total number of vegos at any point only slightly up. 20 year duration vegos decreasing not just as a proportion but also in absolute number.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

literally everything that can go wrong in the human body is caused by porterhouse steaks. my mate once ate a slice of beef jerky and the next morning when he woke up he was dead

Im guessing your mate hasnt had any beef jerkey since?

It would be incredibly hard to follow
a 100% vegan diet or lifestyle but imagine there would be a heap of vegetarian footballers.

Everyone thinks that until they try it. Going on nearly 4 years now and can't imagine myself going back. It does cut down on the amount of processed food I eat, but there isn't much difficulty involved.
In terms of vegan footballers, Ben Brown, Max Gawn, Chris Maine to name a few.

I would imagine it would be very simple for an AFL player to follow a vegan or vegetarian lifestyle if that was their thing, the plethora of support staff including dietitians around would make it so.

As far as what I eat and drink it's the KISS method for me, just stay away from as much processed food as possible. I don't tolerate heavy meats too well so I stick to chicken, fish, vegetables, fruit and nuts and I'm not too fanatical about it particularly if eating out or for occasional treats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back