Are we are an irrelevant club?

Remove this Banner Ad

First things first, I liked a Domo post - it felt kinda dirty, but I like it.

And OTT we're perhaps the richest club off-field and about to move into a world-class stadium. On the field, we're in that horrible treading water phase. I'm optimistic things can change quickly, a good trade period and some of our B - B+ players becoming A grade and we're back in the hunt.

It might seem like our list is flat, but it's important to remember that even the best teams only have maybe 5-8 Elite players. Add Yeo, Duggan and Sheed to McGovern, Kennedy and Naitanui and we've got a very good core. That might never happen, but i'm holding my judgment for next year.

The most painful thing about our club in recent years. well two things for me. First is how Nisbette and co walked away with their jobs and mud free thru those 'dark years'. AND 2nd, we have JK, Darling Lecras, Gov & Yeo... A s**t hot key position group. Along with Nic Nat and before him Coxy. GOAT rucks and GOAT full forward. But we have persisted and ACCEPTED! a midget slow unco midfield.. Who have been consistently spanked! We've been content to love their stats as if that means ANYTHING in reality .. So so lame and a folly! bAAaAAAAAaaaAAhh.. It kills thinking about the mids we had and if they were there to play with our forwards backs and rucks today!! Sure, that's greedy and timing is everything. But why the hell not!? OMG time is passing by quickly for JK's prime particularly. 2018!!!!!!!!!

No we are not an irrelevant Club.

But we are a Club that often in its history has underachieved.

The Malthouse era should have delivered more than two :trophy::trophy: , complacency and arrogance took care of more success.
The Cousins/Judd/Kerr era should have delivered more than one :trophy:, drugs and a Rock Star culture put paid to any sort of dynasty.

Financially we are an AFL powerhouse.
On field we have lost some direction and lost our winning mojo, whilst its f****** annoying I don't doubt that we will one day return to being an on field power again.

The most painful thing about our club in recent years. well two things for me. First is how Nisbette and co walked away with their jobs and mud free thru those 'dark years'. AND 2nd, we have JK, Darling Lecras, Gov & Yeo... A s**t hot key position group. Along with Nic Nat and before him Coxy. GOAT rucks and GOAT full forward. But we have persisted and ACCEPTED! a midget slow unco midfield.. Who have been consistently spanked! We've been content to love their stats as if that means ANYTHING in reality .. So so lame and a folly! bAAaAAAAAaaaAAhh.. It kills thinking about the mids we had and if they were there to play with our forwards backs and rucks today!! Sure, that's greedy and timing is everything. But why the hell not!? OMG time is passing by quickly for JK's prime particularly. 2018!!!!!!!!!
I don't know how to say this any other way; we made the GRAND FINAL two seasons ago. In hindsight, NN was papering over some glaring flaws but the club and fans at the time thought Shuey and Gaff were going to become elite and more good times would come. They haven't and are reassessing. Not time to hit the panic buttons yet.

I don't know how to say this any other way; we made the GRAND FINAL two seasons ago. In hindsight, NN was papering over some glaring flaws but the club and fans at the time thought Shuey and Gaff were going to become elite and more good times would come. They haven't and are reassessing. Not time to hit the panic buttons yet.
Shuey was looking it early in the season but tapered off

Gaff was elite - got an aa - but just hasnt looked the same

For our short time in the AFL we have played in 6 grand finals and won 3. That stat alone shows we are a worthy club, and not to mention our membership numbers we hold and the number of people on the waiting list. Teams like saint Kilda haven't won the flag since we joined the AFL.... and it does make me happy that Freo have been in the ALF for a while and only managed one GF with one loss...

deleted this thread thanks
I think you are right. However, someone has to ask this this question in order to ensure improvement.
At the moment, we are moving downward.

Lets be honest, we are a middle of the road team that has been inconsistent. We have had a poor record on the road, we have lost a lot of games at our fortress Subiaco oval, and we have played players who simply are not up to standards of playing AFL.

1. Simpson needs to grow a pair and toughen up against these players. I seriously do not think he is tough with them.
2. Yes, we lost NinNac, but we need a team, not a player. Kennedy, Yeo, Shoey, have given their all throughout the season, but we need more from the next tier of players.
3. If the club is serious, they need to look at forced retirements and delistings. There are too many players playing for the coin rather than he club.
4. Our midfield is s**t, don't deny it, we need to recruit there to fix the problem we have.
5. We made a bad move this year by not injecting youth. Simpson reluctantly added Partington due to outside pressure, and has done more since we added him to the team, this kid has a bright future and it shows we need to inject more. Sign him up for 5 years.
6. Hill, Lecras, Wellington, McKenzie, need to go. Cripps, maybe. Not sure on him yet. Jetta, play a running role on HB.
7. Darling, grow some balls. Your potential is there, man up, contest, and use your talent.
8. We have talent playing for East Perth, we should have given them a chance instead of playing the same tired, slow team than we have. Yes, I know we got top ups for a team that may have had a crack for a flag this season, however, we were never in the hunt from the start.
9. It's time for a rebuild. Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton, Saints, will pass us while we sit around and do nothing to recycle our club.

I've always said I love the club, but am not a fan of the organisation. Something has just really been off for me for quite a while and I've never really been able to put my finger on it.

The club is incredibly conservative and vanilla in all aspects. In terms of football, we take safe picks with drafting. We aren't ruthless enough with our selections. Everyone KNOWS the club will take the safer or two options in any scenario. In terms of the business, as someone else said, we have such a hold on the market we aren't doing anything new or exciting or innovative. The communications from the club/marketing don't elicit any sense of excitement. I don't even know what the Eagles stand for. There is isn't any sense of pulling the supporter bases together as one.

I actually think a huge issue is the membership base being incredibly similar in demographic - with a lot of older, conservative, western suburbs types. We must have the oldest membership base in the competition. Every time I go to a game I'm surrounded by older couples and grandparents who have obviously been members for 20+ years and just pass on membership to their (now 50+) family members when they physically can't make it to games anymore. They are largely quiet, conservative, uneducated about the game and it bothers me that these are the people that the organisation is looking to appease (in addition to their corporate interests).

To me it appears there is a massive gap of 18-30 year olds missing from games which isn't the case at the Dockers. They revel in banding together, in being the underdog, and have a vocal and committed fan-base, many of which can go to games. In my circle of a dozen or so close mates, we are split 50-50 Dockers/Eagles. The Dockers supporters are all members. The Eagles supporters can't justify spending $70 a year to sit on a wait-list. Who do you think is more engaged with their club?

I think all in all I would love to be passionate and excited by this club, but I'm not. Even when we have done well on-field, it's still a snoozy brand.

Bring back THIS. This is when I was excited about the club. It's not about the talent. It's about the passion and excitement and vision the club had. Somehow when they fixed the culture they took out a little bit of swagger and heart as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back