Analysis Are we better in 2018 than in 2015?

Are we better in 2018 than in 2015?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we have more depth than 2015.

Just as an approximate comparison:

2015 GF Team
Hurn (Schofield) Sheppard
(Wellingham) Gov (Butler)
Gaff Yeo Masten
Cripps Darling Lecras
(Hill) Kennedy (Sinclair)
Nic Nat Shuey (Priddis)

(Ellis) Sheed (Rosa) (Hutchings)

Probably 9 changes vs our best 22 this year.

Barrass > Schofield: Like for like
Jetta > Wellingham: Wellingham probably a bit more consistent
Cole > Butler: Like for like
Duggan > Ellis: Like for like

Redden > Priddis: Priddis in 2015 was more consistent but redden showing signs now

Rioli > Hill: Rioli more dangerous IMO
Lycett > Sinclair: Lycett higher ceiling
Ryan > Rosa; Venables/Waterman > Hutchings: More firepower this year than 2015 and yeo moving into the middle maintains a similar midfield output

I don't think there is too much of a drop off between the two teams, and I actually think we have more firepower this year

We're definitely quicker this year. We didn't need speed in 2015 thanks to our web, but with all that out the window we need them speedsters.

We absolutely have a much better chance winning a flag in 2018 than we do 2015

Actually a good point though. We're not going to be facing the greatest team of the modern era on Grand Final day, if we make it.

Richmond are great, but there really is no comparison between 13,14,15 Hawks to 17/18 Richmond.

So just so I know Im reading this right does that mean because we are down the bottom of both lists that we have had the easiest run so far?
Correct, I just added up the reversed ladder positions of our opponents. Thought it would make more sense if higher numbers meant harder opponents, but I may have overthought it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d say that’s undenable can’t remeber the last time I was calm about a game with as many outs
We played five guys today with fewer than 15 senior games: McInnes, Cole, Waterman, Rioli and Ainsworth. We've also debuted three others this season in Petruccelle, Ryan and Venables. Throw in new chum Ah Chee if you like. Not bad for instant depth.

I fully expected a loss. I followed closely at work and it was all going to script but I thought GWS would run away in the last. I don't what was happening, but barely anyone scored for 15 minutes and it was glorious as our 20 point lead was intact.

Then I looked and saw Kennedy had kicked the sealer.

There was no one around so I gave a little fist pump and muttered '* yes!'

To be honest we just won away against a team likely to finish top 4, were premiership favourites preseason and without, any way you spin it structurally 3 of our 4 most important players. All with the other one still warming back up after no preseason due to injury.

I'm just glad i didnt put big money on us to lose. I thought we were going to get done, even with GWS outs. TBH i thought the scoreline really flattered them.

To be honest we just won away against a team likely to finish top 4, were premiership favourites preseason and without, any way you spin it structurally 3 of our 4 most important players. All with the other one still warming back up after no preseason due to injury.

I'm just glad i didnt put big money on us to lose. I thought we were going to get done, even with GWS outs. TBH i thought the scoreline really flattered them.
It was also the way we won. We didn't try to do anything fancy. It was a slog. We just kept squeezing and squeezing and not allowing them to play their fast footy and then we rolled over them. It's uncharacteristic when you look at the way we've tried to play in the last five years or so.

Even if we are better we need a lot to go right to make top 4 let alone the GF and a flag.

Pretty much can only afford to drop 4 or 5 games for top 4.

Need to win 16-18 games for top 2 Id say.

Huge ask for any team let alone up n coming team from WA.

Things are looking positive though.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

A few reasons i think we are better off:

A: Game plan - The web was created through injuries to our backline which was awesome to watch but really only worked well at Subi.

B: Optus Stadium - This ground is similar in size to the G where Simmos gameplan is working well on the wider ground.

C: Coaching staff - Mitchel and Van Berlo have been an excellent addition to coaching staff and have gotten our average midfield up about about. Mitchell knows the G really especially on GF day.

D: Depth - We have a hell of a lot more players than can come in and cover an injury.

A few reasons i think we are better off:

A: Game plan - The web was created through injuries to our backline which was awesome to watch but really only worked well at Subi.

B: Optus Stadium - This ground is similar in size to the G where Simmos gameplan is working well on the wider ground.

C: Coaching staff - Mitchel and Van Berlo have been an excellent addition to coaching staff and have gotten our average midfield up about about. Mitchell knows the G really especially on GF day.

D: Depth - We have a hell of a lot more players than can come in and cover an injury.

You're quite right. It's no surprise really, a lot of players, and the coach and even last couple of seasons were underestimated by many posters here (and the media)..let alone wanting the removal of Lecras, Darling, Masten, Jetta, Redden, Sheed, Duggan, Cripps, Gaff, etc , the list is endless really..even newbies are/were doubted such as Ahchee- yet this guy just fits right in like a cog in the proverbial well oiled machine. So it's also a perceived thing vs. the reality.
For mine, there's no point comparing the two teams or seasons for a speculative outcome this season-it was a completely different landscape and game..you just have to look at what's in front of you right now compared to the rest of the comp ..or nail your lid shut and hunker down for the ride? ((;

Last edited:
Back