Analysis Are we capable of changing direction - now?

Eleven 38

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Canucks, Cowboys, Renegades
A win is a win. One of the saints wins was the 4th biggest come back in history. And another was because the demons made a schoolboy defensive error. Teams lose when they shouldn't and win when they shouldn't but they all count.

hurlygurdy

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Win the next four, get a great run and squeeze into finals, get a win and the place will lift.

Gives us more bargaining power to nab a homesick kid or another free agent. Surely thats better than getting hammered each week and then going the draft and hoping for the best?
Spot on.
People don't understand how much development comes from actually winning! Like everything else in life, this is a game of psychology where you build on strengths by actually uncovering them in a successful contest. It's no accident that we have cellar dwellers in this league that never get anywhere despite the draft.
We need to play the kids for the rest of the year while maintaining a balance of experience that allows us to be genuinely competitive.
I wouldn't bring Ambrose or Howlett back unless they crush the VFL. Same goes for Melksham.
With the heat off we can drop senior players on the spot if they don't perform which allows more space for the kids.
I don't see any need to rush Laverde or Langford into the team given their age. We are better off playing the likes of Pears and kommer so that we can make informed calls on them by the end of the year.
Ashby should take Gwilts spot for the rest of the year, which is harsh but we can justify it given he came into the team for a now defunct purpose.

theboxmike

Premiership Player
Jun 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I think we should give this group at least one more pre season. This WADA thing has finely caught up with us and it's effecting the players performances.

The only issue is I see a few players required moving on at the end of the season like Carlisle.

Back