Analysis Are we cursed?

Why do we keep failing?

• We are cursed after all of Grahame Richardson's dodgy dealings and are now paying the price

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • We self imploded and didn't move on with the times and are still trying to catch up

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • We are still trying to make up for the mistakes of the past

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • We are cursed with our players injuries (Brown, Cogs, Richo etc) and umpire decisions

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • We ARE NOT cursed, we just keep making bad decisions

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • We ARE NOT FAILING we are finally on the right track

Votes: 9 19.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly I think there is some kind of curse bs going on. Well I'm telling it to f*** off right now..!

But our biggest problem is recruiting. As I said in an earlier post, we have reamed ourselves by opting for smalls and flankers with our highest picks when we needed to go for key midfielders and key talls for either end. Smalls should only be chosen if they are exceptionally good or when you are in dire need, as the amount of quality smalls in the AFL does not amount to the need of a quality midfield that runs 6 to 7 players deep at the least. Just relying on three superstar, once-in-a-generation type players is just not good enough (2 mids Dusty, Cotch, 1 defender Rance).

But something else I really want to bring up......

People who bag the melts and the pessimism on these forums..... GIVE IT A BREAK!

We all need to vent from time to time hey?! We're a collective here so we come to share it with each other.

Do we not have good and valid reasons to be absolutely shattered the moment things go wrong again?????

We have sucked for way too f*****g long. Just once I want to see a Richmond team capable of decimating more than one worthy opponent. Just once I'd love to see a season where Richmond is 30+ ahead at three quarter time and there is not one speck of fear that we may still lose it. We must be the only team where there has been no guarantee on us winning even when 5 goals up, every year, for the past 30 years.

We are the worst team in the 30 years I have been alive. The absolute worst. Besides GC and GWS we are the only side not to even appear in a Grand Final in those 30 years.

My nephews are 13 and 11 and have already seen 4 Hawthorn Premierships which is 1 shy of the amount of finals appearances I have seen in seasons since my birth (95, 01, 13, 14, 15).

But aside from only having appeared in the finals on 5 occasions in 30 years, we have also been the laughing stock in the media and for other fans, we have been beaten by tiny margins a million times and surrendered 30+ point leads even more times, we have lost guns to career ending injuries, our other "guns" never come on, and we have ALWAYS relied on one or two players and never seemed to have balanced team. Richo and light years. Now it's Dusty/Cotch/Rance/Jack and absolute light years.

Where is the midfield? Where are the key posts to support Jack and Rance at either end? Why do we always recruit flankers and how the hell does this keep happening?

We have a very worthy resume that qualifies us to feel let down the moment things go wrong, because that's pretty much all most of us know, to the absolute umpteenth f*****g degree, and until that changes, how are we supposed to change, and not jump up and down the moment we see the same signs all over again?

Who the f*** is Graham Richardson in that poll?
The former NSW Labor Senator and powerbroker?
I like to think our sliding doors moment was bringing Alan Bond in and him declaring Dale Wineman our best and fairest winner.
Never recovered from there.
But back to Graham Richardson??

I like to think our sliding doors moment was bringing Alan Bond in and him declaring Dale Wineman our best and fairest winner.

Its gen y dude :p

Mostly poor decision making, the 2004 draft selection yielded 1 decent player and symbolises the last 2 generations. Richmond was only a powerhouse when recruiting was as simple as offering more money. Once they had that initial success they attracted players because those players wanted to play in a premiership team. The draft came in as well as other changes, Richmond didn't adjust, the stupid ruthfulness at all costs gave us an image problem dissuading potential players from coming across. There have been some ordinary coaches as well, none more than Frawley who we gave 5 years to, now we've given Hardwick 8, but hey, who's counting?

Matthew's father.

Been watching Shai Bolton's kick for ten minutes.
The touch was very tiny if that and the goal should have stood on not enough evidence.

Exactly like the deliberate rort against the Bulldogs.

Three Giants players nowhere near the ball put their hands up gesturing touched to put pressure on the umpire.

Only Richmond cop these decisions.

The umpire's curse.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans,Dreamtime game,where umpire's pull new rules from their rectums.

Last edited:
I dont believe we are cursed but you can certainly question our culture.
heres the 8 best ways to develop a winning culture apparently
  1. Learn from the past. ...
  2. Create a culture that aligns with your core values. ...
  3. Find great people who complement you. ...
  4. Communicate. ...
  5. Have fun. ...
  6. Invite people to drink the Kool-Aid. ...
  7. Work as a team. ...
  8. Maintain and carefully evolve your culture.

TBH those are some pretty basic things but i think the club is working on them. Look at a succesful club like Hawthorn or Geelong. You would be hard pressed to argue any of those points against either side. The way geelong played against the dogs after being humiliated on the tackle front a week earlier speaks volumes for the character of the club.. it seems they couldnt stand to be like that again so they focused on it. I would love to see us come out angry against Essendon this week.. whens the last time you saw us get angry after a loss and the come out breathing fire a week later? Clubs like Geelong & the Hawks dont cop that. Although i have no idea what the kool aid thing means but yeah..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been watching Shai Bolton's kick for ten minutes.
The touch was very tiny if that and the goal should have stood on not enough evidence.

Exactly like the deliberate rort against the Bulldogs.

Three Giants players nowhere near the ball put their hands up gesturing touched to put pressure on the umpire.

Only Richmond cop these decisions.

The umpire's curse.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans,Dreamtime game,where umpire's pull new rules from their rectums.
Your sarcastic umpire gag is getting tired. Bring bang back the #.

I was going to post that it ended up being our undoing but cbf

Its a pet hate of mine

Ruthless isnt a good thing when its paired with arrogance, which is what we did.

The vfl world moved, and we were still living in the 70's. Unfortunately it took us going broke - twice - to figure out our business model was flawed

What you actually want is the club making hard calls when needed, but from a place of informed insight (not trumpian emotive overreaction)

It didn't cause Graeme:'( past away and it went out the door.

GR with caros dad nearly killed our club. We should laud him for the 70's, but he was a core reason for our demise

Its a pet hate of mine

Ruthless isnt a good thing when its paired with arrogance, which is what we did.

The vfl world moved, and we were still living in the 70's. Unfortunately it took us going broke - twice - to figure out our business model was flawed

What you actually want is the club making hard calls when needed, but from a place of informed insight (not trumpian emotive overreaction)

That arrogance got us more flags than some clubs have seen in over a century. You are right though, we didn't adapt. What pisses me off is we've now had decades to adapt and for some reason, we can't seem to...

That arrogance got us more flags than some clubs have seen in over a century. You are right though, we didn't adapt. What pisses me off is we've now had decades to adapt and for some reason, we can't seem to...

Belief and confidence is different to arrogance. Problem with arrogance is you drink your own bath water and stop seeing your short comings.

We have adapted, BUT there are a few albotrosses hanging around our neck. The poor finances meant we were running on fumes or debt for most of the past three decades. Admin afraid of members meant decision making was often short term and reactionary

I dont believe we are cursed but you can certainly question our culture.
heres the 8 best ways to develop a winning culture apparently
  1. Learn from the past. ...
  2. Create a culture that aligns with your core values. ...
  3. Find great people who complement you. ...
  4. Communicate. ...
  5. Have fun. ...
  6. Invite people to drink the Kool-Aid. ...
  7. Work as a team. ...
  8. Maintain and carefully evolve your culture.

TBH those are some pretty basic things but i think the club is working on them. Look at a succesful club like Hawthorn or Geelong. You would be hard pressed to argue any of those points against either side. The way geelong played against the dogs after being humiliated on the tackle front a week earlier speaks volumes for the character of the club.. it seems they couldnt stand to be like that again so they focused on it. I would love to see us come out angry against Essendon this week.. whens the last time you saw us get angry after a loss and the come out breathing fire a week later? Clubs like Geelong & the Hawks dont cop that. Although i have no idea what the kool aid thing means but yeah..
When we murdered GWS in 2014. But yeah I agree, other than that the barrel's dry despite a lot of losses.

Back