Family & Relationships - Are we going to see more people live 'childfree' lives? | BigFooty

Family & Relationships Are we going to see more people live 'childfree' lives?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by mouncey2franklin, Oct 25, 2018.

1. mouncey2franklin

mouncey2franklin Team Captain

North Melbourne
    What have you noticed among friends and family? Have you seen an increase in the number of women putting off children until it is 'too late'? An increase in men supposedly 'going their own way' and eschewing family? And if so, what do you make of it all?

I used to believe that having a family was a critically important thing to do in life. These days, not so much. I see some people and their children have brought true joy and meaning to their lives. I see other people who clearly regret having children, and would not do so if they had their time again (although few will ever admit it, to themselves or to others).

Once upon a time there were social pressures to do certain things. Those pressures are no longer there. Are we going to see more people intentionally lead childfree lives? And if so, does this bother you, or do you see the upside of it?

Bomberboyokay likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. rdhopkins2

rdhopkins2 Carpe Diem

Hawthorn
    Other Teams:
    Box Hill Hawks
    It’s fantastic those that don’t want to be parents are not doing so.

Reynolds Number likes this.
  3. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Premiership Player

Melbourne
    I don't have a lot of interest in having kids, but I try to steer clear of people who use buzzwords like 'childfree'.

4. WCErevival

WCErevival Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Reading FC
    Me and my partner don't want kids. We are in our mid 30s. I noticed recently that most of her close friends don't have children and most likely wont have them at a later date either. They are all in good jobs.

What worries me is society following the movie 'Idiocracy'. The more successful people reduce in breeding due to following careers and the mainly lower socioeconomic group breed like rabbits.

dirty2 likes this.
  5. revo333

revo333 All Australian

Western Bulldogs
    I have a few friends who had children in the last 5 years and they are already looking forward to them leaving the house once they turn 18.

I think it's a bad attitude and I will feel a bit sorry for the kids if they keep that attitude.

6. Bunkdar

Bunkdar Team Captain

GWS
    Underrated movie
    But does success in modern society = better genes 2 spread via baby ?

7. WCErevival

WCErevival Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Reading FC
    Not so much in modern society with social influencers and such but still with the traditional jobs that require degrees a lot of that natural intelligence won't be passed on. The is purely from my own observations.

8. Bunkdar

Bunkdar Team Captain

GWS
    If a GFC 2.0 scenario killed off capitalism then i think it would revert back 2 females breeding with the biggest, baddest ape in the zoo
    Social safety net is important for a functioning society but i have wondered about the genetic impacts on evolution
    I think you are looking at it from down ya nose though :p