Family & Relationships Are we going to see more people live 'childfree' lives?

Remove this Banner Ad

If ya take out immigration then Australia birthrate has been negative over recent times
2 parents need 2 kids 2 keep it level.....

Any family with more then 3-4 kids is probably living by religious bible. It says in the bible 2 breed war numbers

I said to my partner "having kids would ruin my life" about two days before finding out she was pregnant!

I could not picture being a dad, and my main reason was anxiety about being a good parent etc rather than not having spare time.

I have three sons now, and to be honest, I have felt very low in my life but having them is literally the best reason to carry on - if anything, they inspire me to want to achieve even more than I have to date, to make them proud, and ensure they have a great life.

I'm not sure about child free lives... but I would heavily advocate child free 20s. My mid twenties were so god damn hard because of kids.

What have you noticed among friends and family? Have you seen an increase in the number of women putting off children until it is 'too late'? An increase in men supposedly 'going their own way' and eschewing family? And if so, what do you make of it all?

I used to believe that having a family was a critically important thing to do in life. These days, not so much. I see some people and their children have brought true joy and meaning to their lives. I see other people who clearly regret having children, and would not do so if they had their time again (although few will ever admit it, to themselves or to others).

Once upon a time there were social pressures to do certain things. Those pressures are no longer there. Are we going to see more people intentionally lead childfree lives? And if so, does this bother you, or do you see the upside of it?
I said my views on other threads. Online dating is brutal.

Instagram and facebook are the biggest dating sites in the world at the moment.

I said my views on other threads. Online dating is brutal.

Instagram and facebook are the biggest dating sites in the world at the moment.
You've posted alot of this stuff now bumping really old threads to continue it.

Yes girls have it easier than men in dating, especially online. This is nothing new, it was true long before the internet. Instead of complaining about it, what are you doing about it? This negativity towards it all will 100% rub off next time you go on a date whether you notice it or not. Clear your head, play some sport, study, something for self improvement. Be more positive, the rest will follow

Me and my partner don't want kids. We are in our mid 30s. I noticed recently that most of her close friends don't have children and most likely wont have them at a later date either. They are all in good jobs.

What worries me is society following the movie 'Idiocracy'. The more successful people reduce in breeding due to following careers and the mainly lower socioeconomic group breed like rabbits.
100% is happening I think.

It's not so much "successful" people, I think it's more a case of intelligent people sticking to a manageable amount of kids and the less-intelligent breeding out of control.

Will become a problem IMO

Is lower socio economic families outbreeding the higher educated really happening though? Certainly not seeing it myself. Haven't got years. I think cost of living is equalling the ledger, plus I see many well off families with four or so kids.

Me and my partner don't want kids. We are in our mid 30s. I noticed recently that most of her close friends don't have children and most likely wont have them at a later date either. They are all in good jobs.

What worries me is society following the movie 'Idiocracy'. The more successful people reduce in breeding due to following careers and the mainly lower socioeconomic group breed like rabbits.
count me in that age group too. The millienials or Generation Y that was Born Between 1980-1995. In a way its sad you are not having kids despite having stable or better jobs than the average person.

I wont be having kids sadly as much as I want one or 2. But its due to a variety of personal factors which I wont go on here.

But I agree that the Lower social economic group breed like rabbits.

Is lower socio economic families outbreeding the higher educated really happening though? Certainly not seeing it myself. Haven't got years. I think cost of living is equalling the ledger, plus I see many well off families with four or so kids.
Usual proviso of not applying to all, but if you're really poor then welfare from multiple kids is having you better off then none/not many. If you're making a significant amount above average pay then you can afford more than one or two kids. There aren't as many of the latter as the former though. With 'the middle class', in, well the middle, financially disadvantaged more by each kid had. So unsurprisingly plenty of those making good, but not great incomes, face many barriers that help 'encourage' being childfree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back