Are We In A Golden Age Of Ruckmen?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
10k Posts Koala SFA State of Origin Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A. Pantskyle SFA Fight For MND SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Brisbane Dolphins Player - BFFCL BFFCL Club Captain Blue Mountain Bounders Player - BFFCL
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1
Patrick Ryder, Stefan Martin, Brodie Grundy, Sam Jacobs, Max Gawn, Matt Kreuzer, Ben McEvoy, Todd Goldstein, Aaron Sandilands, Nic Naitanui.... is it being short-sighted to think that we're in a bit of a golden age right now?

(I'm not suggesting all of these ruckmen are on the same level, but I'd rate all of them as very good or better)

We are in the golden age of ruckmen threads, that much is clear.

Of those players you mentioned, only McEvoy has won a premiership, by the way. Just an observation.

Premiership ruckman Toby Nankervis.

toby-nankervis-getty-800.jpg

I know McEvoy and Nankervis are good ruckman, but when was the last time a team won the premiership with an elite ruckman? Hawks had their era without a dominant ruck. Dogs had Boyd who played his only good game in the GF. Solid defence, elite mids and forward pressure I think is still more important than an elite ruck.

I know McEvoy and Nankervis are good ruckman, but when was the last time a team won the premiership with an elite ruckman? Hawks had their era without a dominant ruck. Dogs had Boyd who played his only good game in the GF. Solid defence, elite mids and forward pressure I think is still more important than an elite ruck.
Hawthorn - McEvoy
Geelong - Ottens
Collingwood - Jolly

Not really.

Mid 2000's you had Dean Cox, Matthew Primus, Aaron Sandilands, Brendon Lade, Peter Everitt, Jeff White, Brad Ottens, Jason Ball, Luke Darcy, Steven King, Matthew Clarke etc

I don't see the current group being miles ahead of that group. Not a golden era at all really.
Yeah that crop was elite. I think Aaron Sandilands gets really underrated as an elite ruck. Very very good footballer. Lade and Clarke were also excellent. Both exceptional footballers.

Hmmm off the top of my head. West coast 06?

Patrick Ryder, Stefan Martin, Brodie Grundy, Sam Jacobs, Max Gawn, Matt Kreuzer, Ben McEvoy, Todd Goldstein, Aaron Sandilands, Nic Naitanui.... is it being short-sighted to think that we're in a bit of a golden age right now?

(I'm not suggesting all of these ruckmen are on the same level, but I'd rate all of them as very good or better)

Not even close.

70's: Gary Dempsey, Simon Madden, Peter Moore, Stephen Michael, Graham Moss, Don Scott, Len Thompson

60's: Polly Farmer, John Nicholls, John Newman, Noel Teasdale, Carl Ditterich

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you reckon he is elite?
In all honesty no I dont think he is but he rucked all year with Shaun Grigg as his backup in a premiership year.

Grundie would have killed him tonight but Grundie, and almost every other ruckman in the game doesn't have wha Nank has.

Point is, exactly how crucial is a dominant ruckman when it comes to winning a premiership?

You can add Len Thompson to either of those lists.

This current group is nowhere near the 70's group. Nowhere. Near. Them.

The fact that Toby Nankervis is brought up by the 3rd post makes this thread automatic Bay 13 material.

This current group is nowhere near the 70's group. Nowhere. Near. Them.

The fact that Toby Nankervis is brought up by the 3rd post makes this thread automatic Bay 13 material.
Wait what? Toby Nankervis is a premiership ruckman! No if buts or doubts. All these silver lied Rucks and how many of them have helped their team to a premiership?

There is a whole other question here that noone wants to ask.

Wait what? Toby Nankervis is a premiership ruckman! No if buts or doubts. All these silver lied Rucks and how many of them have helped their team to a premiership?

So is Jordan Roughead.

Bay 13 is at your disposal any time you want to post ridiculous s**t.

Not even close.

70's: Gary Dempsey, Simon Madden, Peter Moore, Stephen Michael, Graham Moss, Don Scott, Len Thompson

60's: Polly Farmer, John Nicholls, John Newman, Noel Teasdale, Carl Ditterich

From the 70s you forgot Mick 'Destroyer of Dim Sims' Nolan. Jeff Sarau was also a very good player. Dittershit could be in the 70s too since he played until 1980.

I think we very well could be. And I’m absolutely stoked we managed to draft Tim English before the 3rd man up rule was abolished. Got him for an absolute bargain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back