Are we in strife?

Yep. I'm sure they both have fans and staff who have put a decade of their lives into making these clubs work, often in difficult circumstances. The argument that they are a financial drain on the competition is ridiculous. They are long term investments designed to increase participation and interest in the game in regions with significant population growth.

Well thought out post but the argument that they are a financial drain on the competition is not ridiculous. It's a very valid argument. It's fine to weigh that up against a potential / hypothetical long term investment but that doesn't make it ridiculous. If push comes to shove I think it is patently not ridiculous to offload head office backed investments in a hypothetical future that are a massive year on year drain before even thinking stretching clubs that have been around for a bare minimum of 2 decades for the most recent and have financially contributed to the league the whole time.

Apr 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well thought out post but the argument that they are a financial drain on the competition is not ridiculous. It's a very valid argument. It's fine to weigh that up against a potential / hypothetical long term investment but that doesn't make it ridiculous. If push comes to shove I think it is patently not ridiculous to offload head office backed investments in a hypothetical future that are a massive year on year drain before even thinking stretching clubs that have been around for a bare minimum of 2 decades for the most recent and have financially contributed to the league the whole time.
Yes that's a fair point, I just don't think the AFL's books are that marginal.

Certainly more consideration needs to be given to looking into ways of cutting costs before long term investments are just casually thrown away. The most obvious example of this is the number of people still receiving very good wages this year out of the industry when it's not operational. Until this is addressed it's comical to claim the competition is going broke.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Amazing! A Caro article that doesn’t talk about north relocating.

Great news that the club hasn’t had to draw down on the emergency afl funds to this point.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

Amazing! A Caro article that doesn’t talk about north relocating.

Great news that the club hasn’t had to draw down on the emergency afl funds to this point.

The Off season will tell.

It will pay to get our memberships paid up early in the piece in order to maintain fiscal integrity, then it's a matter of showing up for the games, which is primarily on Rhyce & the boys setting the example.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
The Off season will tell.

It will pay to get our memberships paid up early in the piece in order to maintain fiscal integrity, then it's a matter of showing up for the games, which is primarily on Rhyce & the boys setting the example.

We’ll all show up and pay up regardless. We just the fence sitters to perceive a bigger picture or get excited about something.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't think we as a group are (yet).

Above 25yo though and not contracted most definitely so.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
By all reports we’ve been pretty ruthless in trimming the fat.

If this is true then that's the first step. The fat here isn't just excessive staffs but also the type of staffs. We also need a lot of modern day professionals who can take the club to the future.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If this is true then that's the first step. The fat here isn't just excessive staffs but also the type of staffs. We also need a lot of modern day professionals who can take the club to the future.

Which staff do we have that are not "modern day professionals?"

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If we miss the boat with this year's draft then we are done for in victoria. We have been dealt a good hand with our low finish and getting melbourn'e 1st round and if could fully exploit Brown's trade then 4 firster rounder. You won't get a good deal like very soon, once in a generation. But if we repeat the past middling crap once again due to the shinboner's spirit then we might as well pack up shop. If need to tank without a better word to get all the onees we have missed over the last 25 years. So in for a penny, in for a pound, let afl throw us out of victoria but in the mean time squeeze as much as we can, play the victim, play the welfare card.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Answer the question.

It's not difficult to know our senior staff on and off field.

So who?

So without too much digging, off the top of my head, is mcdonald see there? is crocker still there? these are the dinasours from the pagan era, get rid.

Any more from the scott era, get rid. What about at the board level, are there any old school north types, get rid off. We need those unorthodox type. We need ones who thinks subversively.

So wait, this thread got bumped because good media from a despised source and now we need to fire anyone with a North connection and subvert the board.

Jesus this joint moves quickly.

Or maybe it's just me and I need a joint to understand what the f*** is going on here.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So wait, this thread got bumped because good media from a despised source and now we need to fire anyone with a North connection and subvert the board.

Or maybe it's just me and I need a joint to understand what the f*** is going on here.

Just smile and wave

Maybe someone else needs a few less joints.

Tremendous work by the board and admin.

That we're yet to tap the AFL fund - like St Kilda have - is brilliant.

There's been some vocal critics of our admin and board who have some pretty serious egg on their faces right now.

There's been some vocal critics of our admin and board who have some pretty serious egg on their faces right now.

🤣I keep forgetting who you used to be. Sorry, I’m not completely sold on the SBTDOTB moniker yet.

marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
If we miss the boat with this year's draft then we are done for in victoria. We have been dealt a good hand with our low finish and getting melbourn'e 1st round and if could fully exploit Brown's trade then 4 firster rounder. You won't get a good deal like very soon, once in a generation. But if we repeat the past middling crap once again due to the shinboner's spirit then we might as well pack up shop. If need to tank without a better word to get all the onees we have missed over the last 25 years. So in for a penny, in for a pound, let afl throw us out of victoria but in the mean time squeeze as much as we can, play the victim, play the welfare card.
You are cooked mate.

Good call.

Have to say, if a year like this is the price - and if Brady never rated our ability to compete this year - then anything we can do to setup ourselves is massive. I've always been mindful of that joke about outrunning a Lion: You don't have to be faster than a lion, just faster than the guy next to you. Very pertinent to our club.

Back