Are we in strife?

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon all the ’fat’ around the clubs such as equity officers, diversity managers, respect&inclusion programs, analytics nerds, business class travel, cushy $150k part time admin jobs for players girlfriends, recruiting staff, dieticians etc etc will have to go. Lucky the AFL has a major asset in Marvel that will ensure survival for clubs like ours (I hope). At the moment I’m too numb and in shock to contemplate our future, however like every industry and workplace there will be changes.

This could be the crisis that push us over the edge but then again, there is always somewhere we can relocate to. For goodness sake, the jews had to relocate to several different continent before they finally thrived (USA). I don't get the hooha about relocating to other states. Mind you, if we have to relocate we will get years of draft concession, COLA, lots of cash, all debts wiped. We could do far worse than the GC deal and still run a little lean mean club. Also we will have the AFL in our corner as opposed to us being an irrelevant club at best and a liability at worst.

This could be the crisis that push us over the edge but then again, there is always somewhere we can relocate to. For goodness sake, the jews had to relocate to several different continent before they finally thrived (USA). I don't get the hooha about relocating to other states. Mind you, if we have to relocate we will get years of draft concession, COLA, lots of cash, all debts wiped. We could do far worse than the GC deal and still run a little lean mean club. Also we will have the AFL in our corner as opposed to us being an irrelevant club at best and a liability at worst.
Hi Graham Duff, nice to hear from you again.

Just thinking about it, it will be great for equalisation with the Pokie clubs not getting enough revenue

Also cannot help wonder just how bad the NRL will have it with no pokies money

The contracts are for 18 teams. We're more financially stable than at least a few other clubs. We have a niche, aswell as a inner city hub.

But this campaigner of a virus will fu** everything up.

My hunch is the AFL will pump money in. Half the league can go which means nobody will go.

It is hard to tell because we do not know the nature of the contracts, that is what we have with staff, players, etc and what we have with broadcasters. We are already 5 months into the financial year, we have received some revenue, we have made some payments, we will have to see what happens with how much footy is missed and how that impacts contracts.

I don't think there will be an existential crisis, we have no debt so we could borrow heavily in the short-term to meet obligations and just repay the debt off like we have done the last few years. The point of eliminating the debt we had was so that wouldn't get into financial trouble in the future.

I think worst case scenario is that the AFL will hedge an almost interest free loan for the shortfall of revenue and put the Docklands stadium up as collateral now that the AFL fully owns it and it will repay that over the next broadcasting agreement, or two depending on how much is borrowed.

I don't think the Victorian government will want to see Vic clubs go under as it is unlikely the AFL will ever establish new Vic clubs again, so the government would lose a significant amount of business activity it will never get back.

What motivated you to type this out and then press a button that made it readable to everyone else in the world?

The AFL and its clubs are a business and they employ a large number of people. On this basis they should be entitled to receive funds under the Governments latest economic stimulis package and hopefully this will help a little..

No doubt there are very lean times ahead and some clubs will be placed under enormous pressure financially.

Hopefully not too many people try to get their membership money back, however there will be some people through their changed circumstances, will be trying to get a refund.

I've always taken the view that once I've paid my membership, irrespective of whether I see no games or all games in Melbourne, I would have spent the money anyhow so just forget about it. I accept though that many people have the right to try to get a refund because of their circumstances.

I think that’s kind of sad that they have. The clubs need our support more than ever.
It is hard to talk about individuals who want a refund without knowing how hard hit they are personally. My industry is continuing somewhat normally, so I don't need a refund. But, those who have to choose between food/rent and a membership because they've lost their jobs deserve a chop out from the club.

What a load of absolute BS. In fact to call what you write BS, is grossly insulting to BS. Go away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just * off

It is hard to talk about individuals who want a refund without knowing how hard hit they are personally. My industry is continuing somewhat normally, so I don't need a refund. But, those who have to choose between food/rent and a membership because they've lost their jobs deserve a chop out from the club.
I agree. I must admit I thought of that before posting that but I also happen to know of people that don’t really need the refund but want it anyway. In cases like that I think it’s a bit unfortunate as the clubs do need supporters’ support and it’s basically a donation to the club that they support.

You're comparing our circumstances to jewish diaspora?

I signed up months ago for the family at $1500 - reserved seats and all.

I am glad I have done that - because I probably would find it hard to justify now with no games etc.

It's effectively a donation as we will be lucky to have 4 home games in Melbourne this year - but ...suck it up and all that.

I wont be ringing the club for a refund although I know a few who have.

People are in different situations, where people can leave their membership as a donation they should.

Happy for the club to keep my Premiership Club membership cash, and my kids memberships which were a donation anyway as they are young enough to get in free. If need be, I'll sign the missus up also.

Caro?

Posted this in another thread but relevant here.

This can actually be seen as an opportunity to start from scratch.
Rebuild the commercial and financial structure of the club from the ground up.

Who the * are you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back