Are we in strife?

Remove this Banner Ad

WE'll be okay, just cut away all the non AFL related stuff and run the club on a skeleton staff until the matter resolves.

The club really IS bigger than the individual.

They have 37,000+ memberships of cash in the bank to keep us afloat until normal resumption of business.

FYI:

:think:

I wonder what we could get if we hocked those community awards?

WE'll be okay, just cut away all the non AFL related stuff and run the club on a skeleton staff until the matter resolves.

They have 37,000+ memberships of cash in the bank to keep us afloat until normal resumption of business.

Yeah, that's not how it works, especially seeing as they don't in reality have 37,000 memberships, as a % of those will be requesting refunds.

We have overdrafts & loans still accruing interest. Even if staff are stood down, they are still owed annual leave, which is a liability the club will still have to pay without revenue.

No doubt we have annual fee's for tech like GPS, data software etc.

We've probably outlayed a major % of operational expenditure on medical supplies, gear etc for preparation for the season.

Skeleton staff doesn't mean costs turn to $0.

Most of our revenue is from TV and AFL distribution, not membership.

Given the Commission was formed to act on behalf of the member club's, I wonder what sort of legal recourse individual club's have here?

Any at all, or has that effectively been signed away over the course of the last 30 years?

Yeah, that's not how it works, especially seeing as they don't in reality have 37,000 memberships, as a % of those will be requesting refunds.

We have overdrafts & loans still accruing interest. Even if staff are stood down, they are still owed annual leave, which is a liability the club will still have to pay without revenue.

No doubt we have annual fee's for tech like GPS, data software etc.

We've probably outlayed a major % of operational expenditure on medical supplies, gear etc for preparation for the season.

Skeleton staff doesn't mean costs turn to $0.

The 🍒 picker arrives on cue again! :D

Where were you when I needed your "essential guidance" for my previous 300 posts?

Given the Commission was formed to act on behalf of the member club's, I wonder what sort of legal recourse individual club's have here?

Any at all, or has that effectively been signed away over the course of the last 30 years?

Of course they will keep it afloat.

They don't exist without it, and the shelved the idea of football as mascot driven "product" years ago.

They are going to need every bum they can get on a seat when this is all over.

Of course they will keep it afloat.

They don't exist without it, and the shelved the idea of football as mascot driven "product" years ago.

They are going to need every bum they can get on a seat when this is all over.
42562171_1698008183661152_2234212021392375808_o.jpg

MY rescue cat Muffin says we will be fine.....

The 🍒 picker arrives on cue again! :D

Where were you when I needed your "essential guidance" for my previous 300 posts?

Then stop talking rubbish about business, again.....

37,000 memberships apparently being held as cash.... it's all rainbows and lollypops.

In the eyes of Mario, most clubs shouldn't have an issue if they just stand down staff, because they have pre-paid membership revenue to underwrite the entire operation :drunk:. What do clubs possibly have to worry about....

Yes, this seems like a brilliant time to take legal recourse against the AFL commission, especially seeing as we lay on the lower rungs of revenue generators for the competition.

We are going to need all the help we can get. The AFL's no.1 priority at the moment would be not to lose a club during the next 12 months.

GC are on the chopping block well before us anyway.

Yes, this seems like a brilliant time to take legal recourse against the AFL commission, especially seeing as we lay on the lower rungs of revenue generators for the competition.

We are going to need all the help we can get. The AFL's no.1 priority at the moment would be not to lose a club during the next 12 months.

GC are on the chopping block well before us anyway.
Whoah there Pykie.

It was a simple, agenda-free driven question mate from somebody that isn't up with this type of thing.

I wasn't suggesting we take any immediate legal action, I was just wondering what our position would be from that stand point.

TBH, I reckon if it got to the point where the AFL was going to shunt clubs, then the competition as we know it would be dead in the water anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whoah there Pykie.

It was a simple, agenda-free driven question mate from somebody that isn't up with this type of thing.

I wasn't suggesting we take any immediate legal action, I was just wondering what our position would be from that stand point.

TBH, I reckon if it got to the point where the AFL was going to shunt clubs, then the competition as we know it would be dead in the water anyway.
St Kilda and Gold Coast are in a much more vulnerable position financially than us, and I doubt either of those will be allowed to go under. One thing this will do is kill off any chance of a Tasmanian AFL team in the next 10 years, so we’ll have a consistent stream of revenue available there from next year that other clubs don’t have.

Conversely, I can’t see us being able to cut down our Tassie games in the next broadcast rights deal, which is a shame. Still, we’ll survive like we always have.

I can see a situation where the rich interstate clubs say OK we'll wear the AFL's rebuilding for smaller Vic clubs, and the bigger Vic clubs will cop it too, as long as one of the small Vic clubs goes and becomes a Tassie team.

And not a co-located team, not a half arsed arrangement.

One licence is removed from a small Victorian club and becomes the licence for the Tassie Devils.

In that case, St Kilda are ****ed - biggest AFL distribution of any of the Vic clubs, massive debt, probably trading insolvent.

Fans gunna rise up? Dunno.

I can see a situation where the rich interstate clubs say OK we'll wear the AFL's rebuilding for smaller Vic clubs, and the bigger Vic clubs will cop it too, as long as one of the small Vic clubs goes and becomes a Tassie team.

One licence is removed from a small Victorian club and becomes the licence for the Tassie Devils.

In that case, St Kilda are f’ed - biggest AFL distribution of any of the Vic clubs, massive debt, probably trading insolvent.

I’ll help them pack their bags but all those spoons will make them sink in the Tasman

In that case, St Kilda are f’ed - biggest AFL distribution of any of the Vic clubs, massive debt, probably trading insolvent.

Same as when the AFL tried to get us to GC I would imagine, they have a few more higher profile supporters

Will the NMFC survive? Of course it will.

Will the NMFC be part of the top rung of Aussie Rules football when it returns? Maybe, maybe not.

A lot of people are understandably in a state of fear and panic at the moment so please do not read on if you are not ready for it right now.

The AFL were happy to use the guise of coronavirus to finally implement the shorter quarters change they had been wanting for a long time.

If you believe we are dealing with an organisation who put tradition or 'fairness' ahead of dollars then you are, with respect, naive.

The AFL were greedy when they were making money. How do you think they are going to behave when they are desperate for money?

If the AFL returns later this year, of course we will be part of it. We started the season and will be invited to end the season.

If the AFL does not return this year then it (the AFL) may no longer exist in its current form.

Those who believe that an organisation the size of the AFL can survive without providing their key / centrepiece products or services for 12 months are naive in the extreme. The AFL only provides one key product or service, and now it cannot do that.

Perhaps the government will give the AFL hundreds of millions of dollars in handouts. Will those come with no strings attached?

Or will certain vested interests work together to achieve 'mutually beneficial' outcomes?

The world is already changing rapidly and will continue to do so. Many industries will look very different in one or two years to what they do now.

Tourism, hospitality, and education are three obvious examples. The arts and entertainment is/are another.

Our club happens to be dependent on the AFL which is involved in the entertainment industry. Right now they are not allowed to entertain anybody.

There is a strong demand for sports entertainment and there will be professional sports in the future.

The question is, will professional Aussie Rules be delivered by 'the AFL' as we currently know it? I honestly believe the answer is no.

I don't want to upset or alarm anybody but if you haven't already been making similar inferences to the above, then perhaps the gravity of the 'shutdown', the consequences which follow, have not become clear to you yet. And that is fair enough, we are all focused on our own problems, this is a bizarre time to be alive right now. A week ago our PM was attending a massive religious conference, now he is shaming people spending time with family on a beach and telling the rest of us to stay indoors. These are unprecedented times.

Last edited:

I hope you’re right Snake_Baker 🙏 because I’ll be devastated if we lose our club.

An "interesting" set of accounts. Current Assets at $2,460,886 versus Current Liabilities at $12,913,149 is hardly inspiring. Net current Assets of - $10,452.263. In fact scary. The two major liabilities are Trade Creditors at $6,557,961 and Long term borrowings, $6,511,812.

The major asset/s enabling the Club to show "Net Assets" of $17,220,691 are Property Plant and Equipment of $33,995,830, which further on turns out to be made up of "Depreciated Leasehold Improvements" of $29,323,182 and "Capital Works in Progress" of $3,658,542.

Good luck with all that now Saints. Good luck too Trade Creditors. Who wants to buy the "leasehold improvements" at RSEA Park or whatever they call it now?

An "interesting" set of accounts. Current Assets at $2,460,886 versus Current Liabilities at $12,913,149 is hardly inspiring. Net current Assets of - $10,452.263. In fact scary. The two major liabilities are Trade Creditors at $6,557,961 and Long term borrowings, $6,511,812.

The major asset/s enabling the Club to show "Net Assets" of $17,220,691 are Property Plant and Equipment of $33,995,830, which further on turns out to be made up of "Depreciated Leasehold Improvements" of $29,323,182 and "Capital Works in Progress" of $3,658,542.

Good luck with all that now Saints. Good luck too Trade Creditors. Who wants to buy the "leasehold improvements" at RSEA Park or whatever they call it now?

Its a pity but I cannot find something showing the financial state of each club across the AFL, only individual club reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Back