Are we in strife?

Remove this Banner Ad

We can't complain about opposition clubs death riding us and then do the same to Gold Coast and GWS ourselves.

REALLY?!

I think death riding is ordinary also, but that doesn't mean I have to tolerate it about us. We're not "just another club", and we're certainly not on an equal footing with these two..

Last edited:

Has anyone watched the saga of the Seattle Supersonics getting moved to become the Oklahamo City Thunder? Amazing what rich bastards can do to rip a team away.

Praying it doesn't happen to our boys.

They paid for it by losing Kevin Durant for the best years of his career, I reckon.

If you haven't watched it already. Watch a documentary called Sonicgate. It's absolutely disgraceful what happened to Sonics. The OCT can get f*&*&d.

I think any Gold Coast or Giants fans would cope reasonably well if their clubs were eliminated from the face of the earth.

SMaturin for those of us who remember what happened to Fitzroy, it’s not something we would wish happen to others, even what we went through I wouldn’t wish on anyone...

SMaturin for those of us who remember what happened to Fitzroy, it’s not something we would wish happen to others, even what we went through I wouldn’t wish on anyone...
Yep. I'm sure they both have fans and staff who have put a decade of their lives into making these clubs work, often in difficult circumstances. The argument that they are a financial drain on the competition is ridiculous. They are long term investments designed to increase participation and interest in the game in regions with significant population growth. At risk of upsetting Snakey, it's very similar to the AFLW and most of us seem to appreciate what that is all about.

Anyway, they will get through this, as will we. It's a global economic meltdown induced by a pandemic. The structure of the competition is fine. Let's take a step back from the ledge and look forward to the other side of this when we'll be able to go back to talking about a bunch of fully grown adults that we don't know kicking around a piece of leather on a field instead of this stupid virus.

Last edited:
Not to mention that when they enter the league, they are given priority access to the best young talent in their states, as well as being able to purchase gun players without worrying about the salary cap. Heath Shaw, Ryan Griffin, Shane Mumford to GWS, Gary Ablett Jr still in his prime to Gold Coast. Surprised the AFL hasn’t created a franchise in New Zealand yet.
And then the media drools over them like it was a chance coming together of talent

You’re picking the 2 ends of the spectrum and forgetting the rest.

There’s not wishing it on anyone at one end and actively pushing for a club to die at the other.

I think comparing the Fitzroy experience to a hypothetically similar scenario with the Suns isn’t the same thing at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK, why would Kennett want us to move to Tasmania, which would bulldoze the Hawks out of there? Eddie has frequently gone into bat for us also.

I don’t think Kennett would be too keen for Hawthorn to be giving up the Tassie games. He’s not that stupid. They’ll be looking to renew their deal after 2021 as will North.

I don’t think Kennett would be too keen for Hawthorn to be giving up the Tassie games. He’s not that stupid. They’ll be looking to renew their deal after 2021 as will North.
And I don't think Eddie is a North hater tbh

And I don't think Eddie is a North hater tbh

Eddie would love us, that doesn't make him our friend.

Big Melbourne clubs stay bigger by having a state with the most clubs and a whole bunch of them hand to mouth.

Eddie would love us, that doesn't make him our friend.

Big Melbourne clubs stay bigger by having a state with the most clubs and a whole bunch of them hand to mouth.

Eddie is quite content with having sides reliant on wealth distribution.

As long as his side is the one being used to create the wealth.

Don’t be fooled by Eddie
He has been own agenda and thats a black and white agenda unless you want grovel to him like that swill western scum dogs who when Eddie tells them to jump they say how high.
I rather do it the North way.

Exactly. Us and other clubs being small is valuable to them, they don't want us gone because it dilutes their strength and product compared to the bigger interstate clubs. They don't want to be travelling 9-10 times a year and having to actually play clubs like GWS, GC, Fremantle etc at home more than once ever 3-4 years.

The clubs that borrow money from the AFL to make ends meet will have to submit a detailed weekly budget to the league as one of their conditions.
AFL and club sources have confirmed that those "assisted" clubs – of the 18, at least 10 are expected to need to borrow from the AFL during the COVID 19 crisis – would need to have their budgets approved by the league on a weekly basis.

The clubs that borrow from the AFL will have to report to the league weekly.
Photo: The Age
Only six clubs – West Coast, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Richmond, Adelaide and the Western Bulldogs – have confirmed that they will not seek to borrow money from the AFL during the coming months, with the majority expected to sign up for what will be an initially interest-free loan or financing.
The Age has not yet confirmed Essendon's position and whether the Bombers will join the richer clubs – and the surprising Bulldogs – as one of the clubs that will go it alone and self-fund, outside of player payments.
The incentive for self-financing, as at least six of the 18 clubs have decided, is evident in two ways.

Drive it like you deserve it.
The Cayenne.

$360
3.25%
13%

*#Click to view disclaimer.

60 month term. 35% final payment.#
ABN holders only. Limited stock.
Offer ends 31 May 2020.

Discover more.
Porsche Centre Melbourne | LMCT 3140

The first advantage is that the clubs that are unassisted do not have to report to the AFL nor be as accountable to the league for what they spend, although all clubs will be subject to the heavily reduced soft cap (which could become a hard cap) on football spending.

Real Footy Podcast

'What did Gary Ablett snr do to offend you?'
'What did Gary Ablett snr do to offend you?'
00:00 / 43:53

The second factor is that clubs have to show they have exhausted cash reserves, or even the potential to borrow, before they can access the AFL loan.
Those assisted clubs will be charged an interest rate of about 3.3 per cent after October 31, which usually marks the end of the clubs' financial year, though it is likely that games would be played after that date – into November and even December – if the shortened season resumes after July.
RELATED ARTICLE

AFL 2020
Western Bulldogs among the six clubs to go it alone
Under the deal, all clubs will have their salary cap paid 100 per cent by the AFL, excepting the capped marketing deals for players of about $1 million, which the clubs will have to pay for themselves.
Of the confirmed "unassisted" clubs, five will rely on cash reserves, while Adelaide intend to borrow from their bank, the Bendigo Bank.

The requirement of borrowing means some clubs will increase their debt significantly, with St Kilda and the Brisbane Lions already owing well in excess of $10 million, although much of that is already owed to the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back