Are we just going to sit here and act like the AFL isn't corrupt?

Remove this Banner Ad

yawn. AFL bashing is getting very old. Its a big league, with complex issues like any big business. It had to grow into a big business to complete with other professional sports in Australia, and so far its winning. Expecting some fantasy utopia world where difficult decisions and compromises don't need to be made and lived with is naïve at best, and purile when laid on with moral righteousness like this. Big complex world, difficult to manage, s**t happens: the game still gets played - most people ok with it. Go find something more important to expend your indignation on.
Especially when some of what people want in their ideal fair moral AFL is just out and out illegal. The AFL does not gain total control over peoples lives just because they sign a contract. The players association has agreed to measures that if challenged, might have trouble standing up in a court of law. They did it as a compromise between players rights to free trade and the need to earn a living in a potentially short career, and the requirements of a viable national competition. Pissing over that by compromising players abilities to engage in business activities outside footy not only would bring the whole system down, also is likely to be illegal if challenged and unlikely to work.

Some of these threads are like getting a lecture from the local drunk at the bar about how he would run the country better.

The mistake the OP made was thinking that AFL is a fair competition.
The AFL is a entertainment and sporting business, hard to keep both the entertainment side and the sporting side happy without compromising one or each other.
At the moment the entertainment side is more important to the AFL, $$$$$$.
The AFL has to figure out what it wants to be, an entertainment business or a sporting competition, you cant be both.

The mistake the OP made was thinking that AFL is a fair competition.
The AFL is a entertainment and sporting business, hard to keep both the entertainment side and the sporting side happy without compromising one or each other.
At the moment the entertainment side is more important to the AFL, $$$$$$.
The AFL has to figure out what it wants to be, an entertainment business or a sporting competition, you cant be both.
Well the AFL have already locked the next 40 years out for it to become a sporting competition.

yawn. AFL bashing is getting very old. Its a big league, with complex issues like any big business. It had to grow into a big business to complete with other professional sports in Australia, and so far its winning. Expecting some fantasy utopia world where difficult decisions and compromises don't need to be made and lived with is naïve at best, and purile when laid on with moral righteousness like this. Big complex world, difficult to manage, s**t happens: the game still gets played - most people ok with it. Go find something more important to expend your indignation on.

Especially when some of what people want in their ideal fair moral AFL is just out and out illegal. The AFL does not gain total control over peoples lives just because they sign a contract. The players association has agreed to measures that if challenged, might have trouble standing up in a court of law. They did it as a compromise between players rights to free trade and the need to earn a living in a potentially short career, and the requirements of a viable national competition. Pissing over that by compromising players abilities to engage in business activities outside footy not only would bring the whole system down, also is likely to be illegal if challenged and unlikely to work.

Some of these threads are like getting a lecture from the local drunk at the bar about how he would run the country better.
Spare me. I don't turn a blind eye when the issue suits me. I'm consistent whenever their is injustice.

Convenient when both your clubs have been the biggest beneficiary of AFL's bias in recent years. You're part of the problem, not the solution so the AFL can rely on you to do their dirty work for them. Yes AFL is entertainment but fleecing money from people and putting it in their own pockets under the guise of "fair" is morally corrupt.

AFL is basically a pyramid scheme at this point.

the AFL is in a great country to run a corrupt sporting league. just look at the first reply to this thread: some petty, off-topic remark about something irrelevant, that's how general aussies think, no hope

The Victorians clubs use of pokies revenue is a much bigger corrupt activity then anything we could possibly ever do. We could pretty much knock out all of McGoverns teeth and replace them with diamond studded gold dentures and we would still be below that level of corruption

Does the money from pokie revenue go directly into any of the player's pockets? If yes, can you prove this?

Does the money from pokie revenue go directly into any of the player's pockets? If yes, can you prove this?

Who gives a flying crap about that.

I can sleep comfortably knowing my club doesnt rely on instruments created to perform mental harm and induce depression on people to get by

We dont need to pay off goverment officials also to keep these death machines in our hands as well

We make money the proper way, not the morally inept way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Groin guru

Just seeking some clarification as to the insinuation here. The Eagles are using an external company to illegally pump up McGovern’s salary, but are actively advertising this illegal activity online?

I think what is being suggested here is that the AFL have obviously signed off on an agreement with an external club where they would be paying a significant sum of money to McGovern to do a full time job that:

A: Would normally require a significant amount of experience which i seriously doubt McGovern would have due to his age and being a professional footballer.
B: Would require at minimum 50 working hours per week to perform the job adequately which is time McGovern wouldn't have.

So bearing in mind the above, what exactly would they actually be paying him for?

And, if the AFL were concerned about protecting the legitimacy of the salary cap which is claimed to be the main driver behind equalisation, why wouldn't they be scrutinising this fully? If they did, i see no way how this could be allowed.

I think what is being suggested here is that the AFL have obviously signed off on an agreement with an external club where they would be paying a significant sum of money to McGovern to do a full time job that:

A: Would normally require a significant amount of experience which i seriously doubt McGovern would have due to his age and being a professional footballer.
B: Would require at minimum 50 working hours per week to perform the job adequately which is time McGovern wouldn't have.

So bearing in mind the above, what exactly would they actually be paying him for?

cc38a6cb03901ee650e36d7d562dbc55.png

No, he finally got around to answering and is suggesting exactly what I put forward.

If the question is ‘it doesn’t seem like the business are getting a good deal, but the AFL signed off on it’, then every club should be doing it or they’re absolutely clueless.

It’s not a club’s job to ensure the business is getting fair value. The AFL clearly have no issue. Instead of complaining that the war chest isn’t enough to lure anyone half decent, just organise an external opportunity like every club other than North do, the cheeky buggers. By OP’s own admission the AFL don’t care and won’t crack down, so what’s the hang up?

Who gives a flying crap about that.

I can sleep comfortably knowing my club doesnt rely on instruments created to perform mental harm and induce depression on people to get by

We dont need to pay off goverment officials also to keep these death machines in our hands as well

We make money the proper way, not the morally inept way
They don’t sell booze at Optus? Wow.

Do they no longer affiliate with carlton draught or local wineries?

That’s a huge move!

cc38a6cb03901ee650e36d7d562dbc55.png

No, he finally got around to answering and is suggesting exactly what I put forward.

If the question is ‘it doesn’t seem like the business are getting a good deal, but the AFL signed off on it’, then every club should be doing it or they’re absolutely clueless.

It’s not a club’s job to ensure the business is getting fair value. The AFL clearly have no issue. Instead of complaining that the war chest isn’t enough to lure anyone half decent, just organise an external opportunity like every club other than North do, the cheeky buggers. By OP’s own admission the AFL don’t care and won’t crack down, so what’s the hang up?

I would be extremely suprised if none of the owners or executives of this company had any significant, personal affiliation with the West Coast Eagles.....

They don’t sell booze at Optus? Wow.

Do they no longer affiliate with carlton draught or local wineries?

That’s a huge move!

They sell mid strength booze and its not even the Eagles who sell it. We dont own the stadium so cant influence that. It is controlled by the WA government.

I would be extremely suprised if none of the owners or executives of this company had any significant, personal affiliation with the West Coast Eagles.....

I’m not saying that it isn’t, I’m just saying if we’re doing something illegal I seriously, seriously doubt we’d be allowing McGovern to be listed as an employee on the website. Seems stupid beyond words. OP weakened even more by insinuating that Redden is also in on some dodgy payment, with a link that just shows he used that agency to build his house.

If it’s a salary pump up, and everybody is doing it, and the AFL have ticked it, then what’s there to complain about? OP seems to think everyone but North are cheating, but they never would because, quote, “morals”.

But if the AFL are ticking these deals off then you’re just doing your own club a disservice by not exploring this stuff. Imagine not taking a cheap father/son pick because you don’t think it’d be fair to the rest of the teams - that’s as ludicrous as this, if it’s all ticked off by the league.

I’m not saying that it isn’t, I’m just saying if we’re doing something illegal I seriously, seriously doubt we’d be allowing McGovern to be listed as an employee on the website. Seems stupid beyond words. OP weakened even more by insinuating that Redden is also in on some dodgy payment, with a link that just shows he used that agency to build his house.

If it’s a salary pump up, and everybody is doing it, and the AFL have ticked it, then what’s there to complain about? OP seems to think everyone but North are cheating, but they never would because, quote, “morals”.

But if the AFL are ticking these deals off then you’re just doing your own club a disservice by not exploring this stuff. Imagine not taking a cheap father/son pick because you don’t think it’d be fair to the rest of the teams - that’s as ludicrous as this, if it’s all ticked off by the league.

We are questioning whether the AFL should be ticking off on deals like this one (which I assume they obviously have) given their strong public stance after the Judd/ Visy deal.

Anyone with half a brain can tell that this deal has hairs all over it.

You obviously didn't fully comprehend my first post.

We are questioning whether the AFL should be ticking off on deals like this one (which I assume they obviously have) given their strong public stance after the Judd/ Visy deal.

Anyone with half a brain can tell that this deal has hairs all over it.

You obviously didn't fully comprehend my first post.

Whether the deals should or shouldn’t be ticked off on, they currently are. To voluntarily not join the party, then complain everyone else is getting an unfair advantage, is hilarious.

This is all very woe is me - I’m sure there’s a few businesses in Victoria that would have forked out for Andrew Gaff to be an Sales Executive for three weeks a year, and as we’ve discovered the AFL clearly has no issue with it at the moment. Once they crack down, so be it, but a club voluntarily ignoring something and complaining everyone else is doing it isn’t exactly an AFL issue.

Whether the deals should or shouldn’t be ticked off on, they currently are. To voluntarily not join the party, then complain everyone else is getting an unfair advantage, is hilarious.

This is all very woe is me - I’m sure there’s a few businesses in Victoria that would have forked out for Andrew Gaff to be an Sales Executive for three weeks a year, and as we’ve discovered the AFL clearly has no issue with it at the moment. Once they crack down, so be it, but a club voluntarily ignoring something and complaining everyone else is doing it isn’t exactly an AFL issue.

This thread is about "AFL corruption" not "Why is North Melbourne not taking advantage of AFL corruption".

None of what i have said has anything to do with the North Melbourne Football Club or having a whinge because of that reason.

The fact that you try and tie it directly to the club i support shows you have no argument.

To highlight this issue, a player such as Jack Crisp would have little relevance in Brisbane - he would be completely unknown to the casual fan let alone a random passer-by. In contrast, Crispy is a household name now that he is at the Pies - and that is not due to a sudden improvement overnight. His marketability as a player has increased tenfold since the move to Victoria and thus come the additional opportunities associated with the location. That doesn't even consider the business connections the Collingwood football club have at their disposal to leverage further opportunities for their players.
I'll say, he was reduced to doing internet pr0n to make ends meet at Brisbane.

They sell mid strength booze and its not even the Eagles who sell it. We dont own the stadium so cant influence that. It is controlled by the WA government.
And your sponsors and partners?

It’s a bit hard to take moral superiority seriously when all clubs support booze sales, which statistically is more damaging to society.

This thread is about "AFL corruption" not "Why is North Melbourne not taking advantage of AFL corruption".

None of what i have said has anything to do with the North Melbourne Football Club or having a whinge because of that reason.

The fact that you try and tie it directly to the club i support shows you have no argument.

I’m on Tapatalk, I can’t see you support North, I was talking about OP.

It comes off very woe is me because 99% of the OP is listing failed North targets.

The discussion wasn’t framed as “why is this legal and should we be looking in to this”, it was framed as “are we just going to sit here and pretend my club isn’t being bullied”.

There’s a discussion for whether this s**t should be legal (probably not) but corruption implies some sort of malice or advantage, when it’s just possibly a poor practice that everyone has access to. It only becomes an issue when half the clubs bring similar deals to the table and the AFL knocks them back, which hasn’t been put forward in this thread once as best I can tell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back