Are we not a happy club!!!

Thread to discuss internal culture of The Tigers this year. (Please keep coach bashing to a minimum)

Clearly the milk at Punt Rd has soured a lot this season - from finals targets to massive (seemingly) ructions and re-builds.

Apparently a major internal review undertaken
Most assistant coaches gone - senior coach clinging on
Board under pressure and lame-duck challenge loomed and drowned
New GM of football (Balme) + trusted lieutenant (Caracella) brought in

PLAYERS:
5 former no. one draft picks either going or have expressed an interest in having a look around:
Vickery - gone
Deledio - probably gone (Major surprise and :'( :'( :'( for most)
Jack - spoke to mate at Essendon + their coach (Also somewhat of a surprise after emphatic denials)
Lennon - wants to go... little interest though
Conca - wanted to go... looks like he might stay

From a few weeks ago to now we seem to have had a return of the dead possum funk in the joint.

What really has gone on and what really is going on at Punt road?

Oct 3, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Thread to discuss internal culture of The Tigers this year. (Please keep coach bashing to a minimum)

Clearly the milk at Punt Rd has soured a lot this season - from finals targets to massive (seemingly) ructions and re-builds.

Apparently a major internal review undertaken
Most assistant coaches gone - senior coach clinging on
Board under pressure and lame-duck challenge loomed and drowned
New GM of football (Balme) + trusted lieutenant (Caracella) brought in

PLAYERS:
5 former no. one draft picks either going or have expressed an interest in having a look around:
Vickery - gone
Deledio - probably gone (Major surprise and :'( :'( :'( for most)
Jack - spoke to mate at Essendon + their coach (Also somewhat of a surprise after emphatic denials)
Lennon - wants to go... little interest though
Conca - wanted to go... looks like he might stay

From a few weeks ago to now we seem to have had a return of the dead possum funk in the joint.

What really has gone on and what really is going on at Punt road?
Vickery leaving is best for both parties.
Still unknown why Lids is looking at other options.
Jack 100% committed to Richmond after Dimma confirmed that he was required.
Lennon was the same last year, more him than the club.
Concas a weird one. Both the club and player coming to the same decision says their is nothing wrong there.

There is a little bit going on, but really no more than other clubs. Just unusual for us since we rarely have players want to leave, they usually only leave after being delisted or retired

Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fighting Furies
I don't think it is as bad as it seems. There would be some tension within the group because of the year we have had, but I doubt its in crisis or anything.

We have been the best player retention team in the comp for a long time, this was bound to break at some point.

have a look at Adelaide, they have players walk out yearly yet are still doing fine.

Spluff

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
Why do you assume that all of this is player driven? I get the impression that the Deledio situation was club initiated. Similarly, the Riewoldt thing was when he thought the club might have been looking to trade him (which they have apparently since straightened out).

Vickery leaving was always going to happen. He would have stayed at RIchmond happily, but the club chose to play the FA out and see where it headed.
Deledio is a result of the review. Deledio was and still is very happy to stay. He just told the club that he understood if he needed to make way as an older player.

So the % of the list that wants to 'go' is? And remove Jack form the list, didn't want to leave, and appears was never shopped around.

So, TV is gone, whom everyone wanted gone, maybe Lennon who no-one would lose any sleep over, and Conca whom people have being trying to trade for two years. Lids is a surprise, but based on the support on this board for what the dogs did with Griffin and the end result, not sure why anyone is complaining.

Explain to me in more detail why we are an unhappy club?

Why do you assume that all of this is player driven? I get the impression that the Deledio situation was club initiated. Similarly, the Riewoldt thing was when he thought the club might have been looking to trade him (which they have apparently since straightened out).
On the contrary, don't think it is player driven - reality is I really have no idea but the club is driving major change and fair enough.
However that's a fair list of confirmed and/or potential A grade talent that is not sunning themselves in Palm Cove looking forward to returning to their mates at the club for pre-season.

I am really interested in footy club 'culture' and what does and does not make it work.

A mate of mine played first grade rugby league and now is involved in coaching for an nrl club.

I had a real interesting conversation a few weeks ago about his experiences within a pro footy club and how intangibles like environment and culture can actually become the main drivers to a successful environment.

Richmond used to have it in the 70's and very early 80's.
Since then we are looking like wannabe's who do the superficial surface stuff (process, inside the four walls, strategic etc etc ) but don't have the fibre inside to actually make it stick.

Obviously the current naval gazing and subsequent 'clean-out' might be the start but we will have to wait and see.

I don't think it is as bad as it seems. There would be some tension within the group because of the year we have had, but I doubt its in crisis or anything.

We have been the best player retention team in the comp for a long time, this was bound to break at some point.

have a look at Adelaide, they have players walk out yearly yet are still doing fine.
Exactly - so has our player retention rate actually hindered us?

Explain to me in more detail why we are an unhappy club?
OK - edited thread title to 'are we not a happy club' which is better.
I don't know actually - hence the questions.

OK - edited thread title to 'are we not a nappy club' which is better.
I don't know actually - hence the questions.
Nappy? Lol. Anyway, your point in the reply to Spluff about this being the start of a clean out might be right. 2016 might finally have been the year for the club to realise we need to do this better and we need to get better. It's far too late, and should have happened after the Port final, but maybe this is it.

Nappy? Lol. Anyway, your point in the reply to Spluff about this being the start of a clean out might be right. 2016 might finally have been the year for the club to realise we need to do this better and we need to get better. It's far too late, and should have happened after the Port final, but maybe this is it.
Nappy club was classic Freudian... :p

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Wouldn't put Jack into that, i reckon he got spooked by the constant harrassment from the media and maybe started to believe it and instead of speaking to the club first, has had a convo with a mate who has bolted back to his club and gone ring him he is vulnerable.

Mar 31, 2011
Premiership nirvana
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm not buying the simplistic viewpoint some posters bang on about saying players like lids,and ty are sooks and the cause of the problems down at the club

Explain why most assistant coaches were moved on..but not DH?
Why did we need an internal review?
Why was the playing group so fragmented this season?

2016 was a s**t season for us in a lot of ways....things came to a head and will continue to unravel before we come good again

Madness101

All Australian
Oct 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
You also have to put it into a larger context, and that is obviously the introduction of free agency. Heck Sam Mitchell is apparently leaving Hawthorn (For the betterment of the club of course WINK WINK) or look at Carlton and the players wanting to leave their too.

If we wish to rate happiness using the BigFooty Index, how would you rate a club which;

- sacked their CEO during the year;
- waved goodbye to their senior assistant coach;
- appointed a new Football Director;
- suspended two players mid season for fighting;
- dropped another for not meeting standards; and
- have two premiership players seeking opportunities elsewhere.

Don't they sound like a rabble.

And that Club is?

Haere Ra

MaricEquality

Rookie
Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
According to Brian Cook Geelong were approached by Lids's management out of the blue a couple of months ago. So it might not be the club shopping him around or Lids looking to jump ship, could be a manager just looking for another commission before the end of his career

exceptional design

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
If we wish to rate happiness using the BigFooty Index, how would you rate a club which;

- sacked their CEO during the year;
- waved goodbye to their senior assistant coach;
- appointed a new Football Director;
- suspended two players mid season for fighting;
- dropped another for not meeting standards; and
- have two premiership players seeking opportunities elsewhere.

Don't they sound like a rabble.

And that Club is?

Haere Ra

Port Melbourne ?? o_O

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Going down the wrong track on this, our faults lie elsewhere. Coaching group that was found out to be short on answers when needed. Our development sucked and we failed to nail that extra key player in time to carry some momentum over.
A few aggrieved fringe players and a coupe, of senior players looking elsewhere that as tugg pointed out we could have re signed ain't the root of it

Get the succession plan happening , get some key signings over the line and we will take our first step forward

exceptional design

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
It's interesting though.
This trade period, players have wanted to go to Vic clubs Hawks, Geel, Coll, Stk, (not including return trades).
I have seen a couple of reports about individual players wanting to go to or leave Dogs, Melb, Ess, Carl, North.
But it seems we had at least 4 that wanted to leave & only Prestia seeming to want to come to us.

Whatever position posters take, it is not a good look. :eek:

It's interesting though.
This trade period, players have wanted to go to Vic clubs Hawks, Geel, Coll, Stk, (not including return trades).
I have seen a couple of reports about individual players wanting to go to or leave Dogs, Melb, Ess, Carl, North.
But it seems we had at least 4 that wanted to leave & only Prestia seeming to want to come to us.

Whatever position posters take, it is not a good look. :eek:

It's only Day 3.

The earth moves slowly but the Ox is patient, unless he's got good odds on Race 1 at Randwick.

Haere Ra

Back