Opinion Are we on the verge of another period of dominance from teams not based in Melbourne?

Is the AFL about to be dominated by teams based outside of Melbourne?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The 2022 AFL Grand Final was the first time in 15 years that we saw a GF contested between two teams not based in Melbourne. The last time that happened was in 2007 and the four GFs that preceded that were also contested between teams not based in Melbourne. What's the state of affairs right now for teams not based in Melbourne? Obviously Geelong are the defending premiers so they should be right up there next year, a young Sydney side made the GF last year, Brisbane made another prelim and appear to have gotten stronger with Will Ashcroft and Josh Dunkley added, Fremantle made a semi final and may have just gotten stronger with the addition of Luke Jackson, Port Adelaide finished two wins shy of the finals and got stronger with the additions of Jason Horne-Francis and Junior Rioli and a young Suns outfit also finished two wins shy of the finals while looking ready to make the jump into the top 8 next year. It's not entirely clear where the Crows sit at this point in time and it would be fair to say both West Coast/GWS are entering rebuilding phases but you can see the majority of teams not based in Melbourne.

So, are we about to see a period of dominance from the teams not based in Melbourne?

A young and upcoming Carlton and Collingwood (god I feel dirty)
Melbourne who have the two best rucks in the last 5 years
Geelong who added Clarke Bowes Henry
Bulldogs who are starting to develop a spine to go with the mids
Richmond who added Taranto and Hopper

Think Victoria is fine

Maddo11

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Melbourne, Carlton and Richmond should all have good years injury permitting

Who the * knows with Collingwood, they might have the opposite year and win no games by a kick

Geelong, Brisbane, Carlton, Melbourne is my top4 with Sydney, Richmond, Collingwood and Freo rounding out the 8 in no particular order

A fine mix of IS/VIC

AFL did a review in May of 2007.
Vic won 14 of 16 since.
It was cyclical AFL put a stop to that.
Being a business, through their fixture levers and words with employees dominance will be squashed.
Especially if it’s hurting the bottom line.
What were the findings of the review and what specific changes were made?

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
How have they done that?

Grand Final always in Melbourne.

Draft much harder for non-Victorian teams as we have access to far fewer players in the draft pool since we have to avoid all the players who will want to go home almost immediately. AFL have done nothing to help with this.

Victorian teams massively benefit from the "go home factor". I mean look at Richmond just this year, managing to basically fix their midfield issues by recruiting both Hopper and Taranto.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As a Victorian State Government Sponsored League the Victorian Government wants ROI. An ""interstate" team who would have to be 20% better or get some of the disproportionate "luck" Victorian teams enjoy, would be tolerated but not too often. "Just enough to keep em interested" the snarling fat pigs say down at Spring Street. The Victorian Government doesn't mind non Vics playing in the Grand Finals, it brings in bucket loads of interstate cash, but winning? ... no, that is not palatable.

That has nothing to do with making it into the Grand Final
In fact, statistically non-Vic clubs are more likely to make finals.
So there's an advantage to non-Vic clubs.
If 2 non Vic clubs make the grand final, any Vic advantage is neutralised.
In any case, there is no statistical evidence of a statistical advantage for Vic or Melbourne based clubs in grand finals. This topic has been done to death.
Draft much harder for non-Victorian teams as we have access to far fewer players in the draft pool since we have to avoid all the players who will want to go home almost immediately. AFL have done nothing to help with this.

Victorian teams massively benefit from the "go home factor". I mean look at Richmond just this year, managing to basically fix their midfield issues by recruiting both Hopper and Taranto.
If there is a net advantage in the game home factor for Vic clubs, and that's highly debatable, how does the AFL force players to want to go home?

Other advantages non-Vic clubs have is getting to play all of their home games at their home ground, and having a home state advantage in 10 of their 11 home games.

So far you haven't come up with a single reason as to why the AFL have ensured that it can't happen.

Have you got anything else?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL have basically ensured it can't happen.
Non-Vics seethe harder.

We had two years straight of practically NO games in Vic, including finals and the GF, and not a single interstate team made the Grand Final both years.

Don't like it? Start your own league.

TheBigHorne

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2022
Don't ask me about my username
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles, 76ers, Phillies
As a Victorian State Government Sponsored League the Victorian Government wants ROI. An ""interstate" team who would have to be 20% better or get some of the disproportionate "luck" Victorian teams enjoy, would be tolerated but not too often. "Just enough to keep em interested" the snarling fat pigs say down at Spring Street. The Victorian Government doesn't mind non Vics playing in the Grand Finals, it brings in bucket loads of interstate cash, but winning? ... no, that is not palatable.
That's a nice opinion but where's your source?

PrinceCharles

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

So what did they change?

PrinceCharles

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
AFL HQanon

images

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Why do non Victorian club supporters think us Vics (least from my own club perspective) think we have it against them against our own traditional and tribal rivalries, I spent well over 200 dollars on Crows and Giants merch against Richmond in the 2017 and 2019 Grand finals (fat lot it did me)

The last (and probably only) time I supported a Vic club against an Interstate club in a Grand Final was St Kilda v Adelaide 1997.

Suits my agenda far more to see non Vic clubs win flags than fellow Vic clubs.

Demon13304

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

I find this draft argument so weird . There's pros and cons for Non-Victoria and Victorian. Yeah there more players from Victoria, but there's also 1 in 10 chance of us getting a player if he wants to return home. Whereas if an interstate player wants to go home, those state clubs will have a 50% chance.
It's like you're lumping 10 clubs into one because they're from Victoria.

Hopper and Taranto going to Richmond doesn't benefit my mob whatsoever. Same with Tom Lynch, Jeremy Cameron, Dangerfield (all big name players) etc.

Whereas Luke Jackson or Jesse Hogan wanting to go back home means Freo and West Coast have a 50% chance of getting them.

Demon13304

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Why do non Victorian club supporters think us Vics (least from my own club perspective) think we have it against them against our own traditional and tribal rivalries, I spent well over 200 dollars on Crows and Giants merch against Richmond in the 2017 and 2019 Grand finals (fat lot it did me)

The last (and probably only) time I supported a Vic club against an Interstate club in a Grand Final was St Kilda v Adelaide 1997.

Suits my agenda far more to see non Vic clubs win flags than fellow Vic clubs.
Yeah it's bizzare. No way we want our very own rivals to win the flag because they're from Victoria. No *ing way I wanted Geelong, Richmond, Hawthorn etc. to win 😂

Believe me, I've been barracking for every interstate club to win.

Back