Opinion Are we on the verge of another period of dominance from teams not based in Melbourne?

Is the AFL about to be dominated by teams based outside of Melbourne?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dustin gets 150k more from sponsors than he would get if he was at a mon vic side because he gets so many Friday night and national broadcast games.
Because he’s a star player that put his team on Friday nights. North Melbourne aren’t getting Friday nights and they are from Victoria.

I reckon getting 3 norm smiths and being a star during finals is a reason he’s getting extra money from sponsors

Because he’s a star player that put his team on Friday nights. North Melbourne aren’t getting Friday nights and they are from Victoria.

I reckon getting 3 norm smiths and being a star during finals is a reason he’s getting extra money from sponsors
And Vic clubs get 3 times the Friday night games as non Vic.

...and interstate sides get all of their games on FTA in their home state.

Swings & Roundabouts.

Some sponsors would appreciate that having their branding on FTA every week and would choose an interstate side over a Victorian side who's more likely to spend half the season behind a paywall.

...and interstate sides get all of their games on FTA in their home state.

Swings & Roundabouts.

Some sponsors would appreciate that having their branding on FTA every week and would choose an interstate side over a Victorian side who's more likely to spend half the season behind a paywall.

Who has free to air these days?

It has become a dinosaur

Who has free to air these days?

It has become a dinosaur

Based of viewership numbers approximately 80% of viewers still watch live sport on Free-to-air.

A lot of old people do

If you reflect upon the disparity of generational wealth in Australia, then the older generation are the target market for advertisers.

Thus why a team that has 22 FTA games into a market would be preferable for a company where the majority of their business is in one state. Let's use Hungry Jacks as an example. It makes sense to sponsor the Eagles as Western Australia is where it has a more comprehensive store network (1 store per 38k people), where as national advertising would end up going into NSW where there's only 1 store per 86k people

If you reflect upon the disparity of generational wealth in Australia, then the older generation are the target market for advertisers.

Thus why a team that has 22 FTA games into a market would be preferable for a company where the majority of their business is in one state. Let's use Hungry Jacks as an example. It makes sense to sponsor the Eagles as Western Australia is where it has a more comprehensive store network (1 store per 38k people), where as national advertising would end up going into NSW where there's only 1 store per 86k people

Yes mate that makes sense to me. I just wish Freo would get more regular Fri and Sat night games

Some clubs like Carlton get them no matter where they finish on the ladder

Yes mate that makes sense to me. I just wish Freo would get more regular Fri and Sat night games

Some clubs like Carlton get them no matter where they finish on the ladder

Then you'd complain that Fremantle games start at 5:40pm on a Friday night ;)

Do they? North Melbourne had 1, Fremantle had 3 last year. Id say it Richmond’s success that Dustin brought them gets them prime time spots and not the location of the club, and that style of play Dustin plays gets him the sponsorship dollars

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be 6:10pm but the AFL don't want to keep up the eastern states viewers because it's past their bedtime.

It’s not about the “bedtime” of the majority of the viewership, it’s about TV ratings.

You need to remember that at the end of the day the AFL is a business & their goal is to make money, not to keep a few people on BigFooty happy.

It’s not about the “bedtime” of the majority of the viewership, it’s about TV ratings.

You need to remember that at the end of the day the AFL is a business & their goal is to make money, not to keep a few people on BigFooty happy.
AFL is a registered "Not for Profit" organisation and because they have forgotten that it is the reason fans are not happy.
Won't be to long and we will become a mini FIFA.

Carlton had 3 last year, same as Fremantle

It is a big surprise that the bottom 6 teams for marquee games are all non victorian, and average viewer count only helps Victorian teams.

1673388077489.png

AFL is a registered "Not for Profit" organisation and because they have forgotten that it is the reason fans are not happy.
Won't be to long and we will become a mini FIFA.

I hate soccer and it's corruption

Na, it is teams who enjoy a home ground adavantage against their opponents.

Collingwood play a glut of games against opponents who also call the G home, no advantage to either team.

Check which teams finished top2 at end of H&A ladder most often since 2000....Geelong, Port, Brisbane, WC, Adelaide

Non-Melbourne teams, those who retained their home ground and enjoy a significant home ground advantage in 9+ games per year
Yeah I acknowledge this.

Richmond fans such as Grin , Senor M and Tzatziki_Man agreed on my view.

Richmond are one of 18 AFL sides. The only time they have a true home ground Advantage at the MCG is vs the non Victorian clubs. That's only 8 sides.

Collingwood is also one of 10 Victorian sides fighting for local Victorian talent too

Compared to our own unique ground, Victoria Park, yes it is a disadvantage.

And again, well aware that my team Collingwood has the best situation of all the Melbourne based teams.

We play 14 games every year since mid 2000s, that is our contractual stadium arrangement part of MCC deal to give home PFs.

But 8-10 of the 14 are just clashes (AFL manufactured BLOCKBUSTERS) against Melbourne teams who also call the MCG home...they are just neutral.

Would I rather have a single home stadium that we dont share with 6 other teams that gives a proper home ground advantage...damn straight.

4 games with a home ground advantage against the opponent is a fair bit less than the WA / SA teams who get 10.

Why would Collingwood be happy playing any games at Docklands? It aint our home ground.

Would we rather play a home game against Melbourne at the G which is neutral, or a home game against Freo at the G where we have an advantage.

Pretty obvious answer yeah? Not sure I get your point?

As a Freo fan, would you be happy selling 2-4 "home" games to NT or Broome (they supposedly still count as home advantage games and there is no travel impost if you sell them I am informed 😉🤪) to get some extra $$ and TV exposure for Freo?
Why would the dockers sell a home game in Perth to go to NT or even ACT? Doesn't make financial sense.

Freo got 58,982 vs the dogs in that 2022 Elim final in Perth.

North Melbourne sell and trade Docklands games to Tassie purely on financial reasons.

North Melbourne would struggle to get 15-20,000 vs a non Vic side.

North Melbourne can get paid $750,000 a game from the Tassie government and get 15-20,000 in Tassie vs a non Vic side

Why would the dockers sell a home game in Perth to go to NT or even ACT? Doesn't make financial sense.

Freo got 58,982 vs the dogs in that 2022 Elim final in Perth.

North Melbourne sell and trade Docklands games to Tassie purely on financial reasons.
The point was more to articulate how unfair it is from a sporting equity perspective, not $$.

Part of the problem is that the actual stadium deal at Docklands was horrible.

Back in the 2000s, even big clubs like Richmond also sold home games.
North Melbourne can get paid $750,000 a game from the Tassie government and get 15-20,000 in Tassie vs a non Vic side
Exactly, the Melbourne clubs sell home ground advantage for $$.

The non-Melbourne sides benefit from not playing teams with a home ground advantage.

Yet the majority of the WA/SA supporters think they are hard done by and disadvantaged in H&A fixture.

The point was more to articulate how unfair it is from a sporting equity perspective, not $$.

Part of the problem is that the actual stadium deal at Docklands was horrible.

Back in the 2000s, even big clubs like Richmond also sold home games.

Exactly, the Melbourne clubs sell home ground advantage for $$.

The non-Melbourne sides benefit from not playing teams with a home ground advantage.

Yet the majority of the WA/SA supporters think they are hard done by and disadvantaged in H&A fixture.
Well back in 2021, Freo played Carlton twice. One game was in docklands and the other was in the MCG.

The MCG game was originally supposed to be in WA but due to the corona virus 🦠, it was at the MCG.

Yes Carlton were happy for another MCG game at Freos expense.

In a typical 22 game season, I personally would in a bare minimum of Freo were bottom 6 rather have the eagles twice and 12 home state games. And have that mandatory one game at the MCG on a Sunday Arvo dead slot on any typical year.

It is a big surprise that the bottom 6 teams for marquee games are all non victorian, and average viewer count only helps Victorian teams.

View attachment 1584663
Bottom 5, my club is 6th bottom and that doesn’t concern me at all. The top players at Melbourne signed on knowing they have little national exposure.

So Dusty doesn’t get the extra sponsor money because of his huge finals performances, it’s because of his clubs location. What national endorsements does Patrick Cripps and Marcus Bontempelli have and how much extra dk they make because of the clubs location?

Back