Are we realistically ever gonna win another flag in the next century?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cool Kangas

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 2, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The hyperbole in the title is why people are giving CK s**t. "Century"? What are you trying to be, Emmett Brown?
Yep fair enough FS. Yes it is a fairly dramatic title....

...that said I find it astounding how one can’t ask a question (silly or not) or have a particular opinion on here without people jumping up and down and showing you the door. Nice. Some of the garbage some of you write on here is laughable but that seems to be ok because you wrote it. Love it.

PS. This isn’t directed at you FS - just writing back on the same reply. Cheers.

Orange Peanut

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I felt like you back in 1992 CK. I'd followed the Roos since 78 and had been fed a diet of failed hopes ever since. They'd been telling us we were going to be the team of the 90s and we could barely win 2 games in a row. The next 8 years were fricken awesome and made it all worth it .
Don't lose hope!

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I felt like you back in 1992 CK. I'd followed the Roos since 78 and had been fed a diet of failed hopes ever since. They'd been telling us we were going to be the team of the 90s and we could barely win 2 games in a row. The next 8 years were fricken awesome and made it all worth it .
Don't lose hope!

1983 was a far bigger letdown than 2014-2016.

Johnny99

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2011
In a house.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't think you understand who we really are mate. We are the eternal struggle against the odds. We are the shinboner. I wouldn't be anywhere else for all the money in the world.

Well said Snake, NMFC shouldn't be measured on how may GF's we have won in the last 20 yrs. How many Brownlow medallists. How many Norm Smiths. How many Colemans. How many AA's.....

We are SHINBONERS.......SHINBONNNERS !!!!

Some people are happy to be second...or third.....or ninth.....

Year after year after year....

Snake has accepted being mediocre, in fact he is proud of it....

I say good on him.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Johnny99

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2011
In a house.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
An amazing extrapolation. Apologies Veruca.

I really do overrate the intelligence of the average internet user a lot of the time.

I must admit, I am with Cool Kangas on this one...... I would love to see a flag again...To be the best team in the AFL again......

Thats why we play football isn't it. To be the best ?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I must admit, I am with Cool Kangas on this one...... I would love to see a flag again...To be the best team in the AFL again......

Thats why we play football isn't it. To be the best ?

What good is carrying on like a pork chop in the meantime?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
So having an opinion is carrying on?

Will we "win another flag in the next century" is the rational basis for a discussion?

I'll give you the proper answer then.............who knows?

I'll also truthfully inform you that it applies to 17 other clubs equally!

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
Yep fair enough FS. Yes it is a fairly dramatic title....

...that said I find it astounding how one can’t ask a question (silly or not) or have a particular opinion on here without people jumping up and down and showing you the door. Nice.

Agreed. People could do with overlooking the '100 years' bit and simply acknowledge the sentiments and what, ultimately underlies it. A passion for the club and the challenge of being a long suffering supporter.

I hear you CK. It can get hard at times but I'm sure, like those criticising your OP, you'll be there alongside them for the journey and enjoy the spoils when they arrive. (And they will.)

Johnny99

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2011
In a house.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Will we "win another flag in the next century" is the rational basis for a discussion?

Thanks for giving us the mathematical probability of the NMFC winning a flag...

You are correct...the same odds as 17 other clubs.

But if you had read Cool Kangas' original post more carefully, he is actually asking why do some clubs, get the process right and hence feature in the GF more often....

I am talking about WCE Sydney Hawks Pies

And north seem to struggle and are never quite there....

Is it culture ? Is it money ? Is it planning ? Who the * knows.....

I dont.

That is the question.

Cool Kangas

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 2, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Hey snake did you know that Sydney took 72 years to win a premiership in 2005? And did you know that Melbourne haven’t won a flag in 55 years? What about St Kilda? These are LONG TIMES!! It might not be 100 years but to supporters of these clubs it would feel like it.

Yes writing in the next century is dramatic but my underlying point is about hoping we don’t end up a club with a long suffering drought. I feel for Dees and Saints fans. It’s a LONG time. The bottom line is that we have been kind of average for a while and I’d hate to think that will be the status quo for years to come.

I don’t care if I’ve ruffled a few feathers - those showing me the door or crying about having the thread deleted - whatever - I know how much North means to me and I don’t need their or anyone’s approval.

I do however think we as supporters and loyal members are entitled to expect the best.

Last edited:

Cool Kangas

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 2, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thanks for giving us the mathematical probability of the NMFC winning a flag...

You are correct...the same odds as 17 other clubs.

But if you had read Cool Kangas' original post more carefully, he is actually asking why do some clubs, get the process right and hence feature in the GF more often....

I am talking about WCE Sydney Hawks Pies

And north seem to struggle and are never quite there....

Is it culture ? Is it money ? Is it planning ? Who the glory be knows.....

I dont.

That is the question.
Thanks mate you’re right. And I’m a she ;)

Cool Kangas

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 2, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Agreed. People could do with overlooking the '100 years' bit and simply acknowledge the sentiments and what, ultimately underlies it. A passion for the club and the challenge of being a long suffering supporter.

I hear you CK. It can get hard at times but I'm sure, like those criticising your OP, you'll be there alongside them for the journey and enjoy the spoils when they arrive. (And they will.)
Thanks Kimbo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back