Are we really that bad?

Remove this Banner Ad

FFS lets not sugar coat shagging the promo girl as some new wanky term ‘ mid life crisis ‘.
He cheated on the people he has spent the majority of his life with who trusted him the most .

the most shocking part of this post is that you've never heard of a mid life crisis

I don't believe we're as bad as lots of the talk suggests.
We've played some of the best footy seen all year, only that it's one quarter at a time.

I think it's our decision making and skill execution letting us down. Plenty of examples where we kick to an out numbered contest, float a ball in super high that kills any chance of a leading forward taking a mark, forwards not leading to the right spots, handballing around to players under just as much pressure etc.
Kick out's from full back going straight to oppo players under zero pressure.

These have been our real killers. Sure guys like Cotch, Jack, Prestia are getting older. Doesn't mean they can't still play impactful games. Look at Jack, kicked 8 goals in the two weeks prior and looked like he was 5 years younger and primed. Cotch in the Melbourne game was in absolutely everything, setting up scores, bullet passess inside 50.
Prestia, well I don't know what his issue is, he's not winning the footy like he used to, but is that caused by the inclusions of Hopper/Taranto?

The bounce used to go our way. Magic hand balls from guys like Edwards and Lambert and the link up run through the middle we'd nail and deliver inside 50 so quick to Lynch/Riewoldt etc.
Lately we're getting caught with errant handballs, holding on too long.

I'm not sure how it goes from here. I don't disagree with Hardwick though, our best is absolutely good enough to beat any team. Just waiting for the boys to click, get some confidence and hopefully turn things around.

Neutral perspective: no, you're just cruelled by injuries (same as last year IIRC).

Swap Lynch, Nankervis, Gibcus, Graham, Prestia, Tarrant & Soldo for your bottom seven players and you're easily a top 8 side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are so slow and have too many blokes who can't kick.
THey looked devoid of any confidence too.

True.
But that’s the spiral poorly performing sides get caught in.
They’ll be much quicker and kick much better when confidence kicks back in.
We badly need a catalyst.

I don't believe we're as bad as lots of the talk suggests.
We've played some of the best footy seen all year, only that it's one quarter at a time.

I think it's our decision making and skill execution letting us down. Plenty of examples where we kick to an out numbered contest, float a ball in super high that kills any chance of a leading forward taking a mark, forwards not leading to the right spots, handballing around to players under just as much pressure etc.
Kick out's from full back going straight to oppo players under zero pressure.

These have been our real killers. Sure guys like Cotch, Jack, Prestia are getting older. Doesn't mean they can't still play impactful games. Look at Jack, kicked 8 goals in the two weeks prior and looked like he was 5 years younger and primed. Cotch in the Melbourne game was in absolutely everything, setting up scores, bullet passess inside 50.
Prestia, well I don't know what his issue is, he's not winning the footy like he used to, but is that caused by the inclusions of Hopper/Taranto?

The bounce used to go our way. Magic hand balls from guys like Edwards and Lambert and the link up run through the middle we'd nail and deliver inside 50 so quick to Lynch/Riewoldt etc.
Lately we're getting caught with errant handballs, holding on too long.

I'm not sure how it goes from here. I don't disagree with Hardwick though, our best is absolutely good enough to beat any team. Just waiting for the boys to click, get some confidence and hopefully turn things around.

Lot of good points in there.

Agree that it's really just a case of players not executing anywhere near as well as they can - this week we managed to include set shot goal kicking on heavy rotation too! ;)

We know how dangerous and potent virtually the exact same list minus Dusty, Taranto and Hopper and the subsequent improvement of kids was come the end of last year - we blew a golden chance for a Prelim at the very least. We've gained, not lost, we're just not getting the results yet.

Our game plan stacks up fine, everyone's copying it. Hardwick hasn't forgotten how to coach, the players haven't forgotten how to play, we're just executing poorly too often to win.

Babies and bathwater were getting thrown out of windows with most of the same questions and apparently unresolvable issues this time last year, then we played finals. Again.

I was there on the weekend.

We seemed to have moments of the game where we strung together good chains of ball movement. The likes of Bolton, Bakes, Rioli were elite at times. But the final kick inside 50 was easily covered by the suns defence. It's not completely the forwardline's fault. The entries were long and high. But we looked very slow in the f50. Suns found it way too easy to waltz the ball out of the backline. 6 goals in perfect conditions is not AFL standard.

Is it really a falling off the cliff moment or are there just a few tweaks and things can start working in our favour?

I think our set up is horrendous at the moment and our handball happy ball movement is shite.

We have also lost a lot of athleticism. While we’ve bought in better skilled (not that at it shows at the moment ) footballers but have lost a lot of the elite athletes that we had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True.
But that’s the spiral poorly performing sides get caught in.
They’ll be much quicker and kick much better when confidence kicks back in.
We badly need a catalyst.

Surely we'll go all out attack and try to smash them out of the centre this week with Soldo V Williams?

Lots of fast, risky corridor ball and be aiming to kick half a dozen a quarter.

A big score -even if we concede plenty - on Saturday and then beating the Cats is exactly what we need to get the year back on track.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back