Are we really that bad?

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely we'll go all out attack and try to smash them out of the centre this week with Soldo V Williams?

Lots of fast, risky corridor ball and be aiming to kick half a dozen a quarter.

A big score -even if we concede plenty - on Saturday and then beating the Cats is exactly what we need to get the year back on track.

Exactly.
It’s like when you’re standing on the tee after slicing the crap out of your last drive.
Don’t think. Just do.
Blast it down the middle and all of a sudden the game is so much easier.

I think it's a combination of different things.

Due to rule changes we can't go back to that magnificent game plan we had 2017-2020. That manic pressure and perceived pressure mixed with a chaos type attack and defensive wall to lock the ball in our forward half can't be used anymore. Shocking completely faarked us there. This has hurt us post 2020. I don't even know exactly how you would describe our current game plan but it bears little resemblance to our flag years.

Coaching - Hardwick is a good coach but he is not a tactical genius. He needs quality assistants, which he doesn't have at the moment as they all left. He didn't suddenly become a super coach at the end of 2016, he needs tactical brains behind him. This may be a soft cap issue as I don't think we have the $ space to get quality underneath him at the moment.

The cattle - our stars (as a group) are over the hill. Cotchin, Jack, Grimes and Dusty are a shadow of the super-stars they were in 2017 - 2020. We also have injuries to other important players too at the moment. The kids and the GWS recruits can't pick up all that slack, not even close.

All this just leads us to our current ladder position. I don't think we are a bottom four side but I don't think we are a top 8 side either. To me we are somewhere in between. We need a rebuild. Not a full blown one as we have pieces of our next potential flag window already on our list but we need a hell of a lot more. I can see us bottoming out over the next few years and getting those high end picks, we need to nail them and land a few late picks too. It's a huge shame we don't have our first rounder this year but what's done is done

Surely we'll go all out attack and try to smash them out of the centre this week with Soldo V Williams?

Lots of fast, risky corridor ball and be aiming to kick half a dozen a quarter.

A big score -even if we concede plenty - on Saturday and then beating the Cats is exactly what we need to get the year back on track.

Based on Sunday’s game, I think I’d take even-money about Jeremy Cameron single-handedly outscoring us

• cooked tiger stalwarts: Riewoldt, Grimes, Cotchin, Tarrant, Prestia, Pickett, Nankervis, Dusty (harsh?)
  • At or near their peak: Baker, Rioli, Bolton, Balta, Lynch, Vlastuin, Broad, Tarranto, Hopper, Short, KMac, Graham
I'd swap these two. McIntosh looks closer to the end than Pickett does.

I'd swap these two. McIntosh looks closer to the end than Pickett does.
I feel like McIntosh is unfairly maligned because of aesthetics. He competes and does most things well.

I was thinking I would add Pickett to the 'at their peak' list too but due to his age I dont know if he will suddenly fall off.

We are injuries to Lynch and Nank from being in the 8 right now IMO

Problem is our depth. Ravaged by injuries with very little ready to go depth.
Yep.No Lynch no Structure.
And after seeing Soldo on the w/end if any campaigner thinks he gets the nod over Nank then they should give up on Football.

Exactly.
It’s like when you’re standing on the tee after slicing the crap out of your last drive.
Don’t think. Just do.
Blast it down the middle and all of a sudden the game is so much easier.
As my playing partner always reminds me.Its all about the 2nd shot.lol

I feel like McIntosh is unfairly maligned because of aesthetics. He competes and does most things well.
He just looks like he's lost a yard this season and is not finding the ball as often as he normally would.

Then again maybe he's just part of the overall team slump that we can't seem to shake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We aren’t THAT bad. It’s an even competition, we are down on form and confidence. Doesn’t help when we are missing key players either
Nicely summed up.

Tigers were good in that Melbourne game.

We are missing Lynch and Nank, badly.

I cant understand how much our scoring has dried up.

We get enough looks inside 50 and outside of Lynch (massive out) we are full strength up forward.

Is it a structure/fwd coach issue or are the likes of Jack, Cumbo, Dusty, Shai etc just not good enough???? On paper our fwd line still looks dynamic and strong enough to kick big scores.

we need to mix up our forward structure and front 6.

Time for Dusty to go back to atleast 50/50 mid forward
Shai 80/20 forward mid
Taranto to play some deep forward - we have Prestia who can play his role in the guts to cover him
Baker to play forward
and the last one, who I wanted forward last year is Pickett - Great in the air, fast and tackles to hurt.

Shai, cumbo, pickett and baker - That's alot of pace and pressure inside 50

I cant understand how much our scoring has dried up.

We get enough looks inside 50 and outside of Lynch (massive out) we are full strength up forward.

Is it a structure/fwd coach issue or are the likes of Jack, Cumbo, Dusty, Shai etc just not good enough???? On paper our fwd line still looks dynamic and strong enough to kick big scores.

we need to mix up our forward structure and front 6.

Time for Dusty to go back to atleast 50/50 mid forward
Shai 80/20 forward mid
Taranto to play some deep forward - we have Prestia who can play his role in the guts to cover him
Baker to play forward
and the last one, who I wanted forward last year is Pickett - Great in the air, fast and tackles to hurt.

Shai, cumbo, pickett and baker - That's alot of pace and pressure inside 50

Some good suggestions there.
Contrary to what some think, I rate MRJ as a forward pocket with huge potential.
If you add Pickett at HF as well, that's a whole lot of fear/hurt factor going on.

Some good suggestions there.
Contrary to what some think, I rate MRJ as a forward pocket with huge potential.
If you add Pickett at HF as well, that's a whole lot of fear/hurt factor going on.
I rate him also, long term i reckon he is a mid

Yep.No Lynch no Structure.
And after seeing Soldo on the w/end if any campaigner thinks he gets the nod over Nank then they should give up on Football.

Soldo went at 42% hit-outs to advantage in his first game back against one the top-3 rucks in the league (can make a good case for him being #1). Not only were they to advantage, they almost all put the player into space or gave them reasonable time to dispose. It's an elite skill and it makes us a better side, especially late in matches when centre clearances become do or die.

Nank is running at 27% hit-outs to advantage and that includes a game against De Koning and half a game against McStay. Many of those hit-outs to advantage were an 'advantage' in name only because they did the exact opposite of put a player in space. Then there's all the times the ball ends up down the throat or close enough to the most dangerous opposition mid.

Nank has his own value outside hit-outs, he's an elite asset at his best and he'll forever be a legend of the club, but at his worst when he's struggling with his body or having a shocker, as a pure #1 ruckman, there's no way to sugarcoat it, he loses us games single-handedly, or at the very least makes it far harder to win. At his worst he gives us virtually zero good first use and a stack to the opposition right there in the centre square - the most difficult part of the ground to defend.

Throw a fit Soldo instead of Miller, or Nank (or both for that matter) into that Brisbane final, we win comfortably and may well have gone all the way.

Soldo went at 42% hit-outs to advantage in his first game back against one the top-3 rucks in the league (can make a good case for him being #1). Not only were they to advantage, they almost all put the player into space or gave them reasonable time to dispose. It's an elite skill and it makes us a better side, especially late in matches when centre clearances become do or die.

Nank is running at 27% hit-outs to advantage and that includes a game against De Koning and half a game against McStay. Many of those hit-outs to advantage were an 'advantage' in name only because they did the exact opposite of put a player in space. Then there's all the times the ball ends up down the throat or close enough to the most dangerous opposition mid.

Nank has his own value outside hit-outs, he's an elite asset at his best and he'll forever be a legend of the club, but at his worst when he's struggling with his body or having a shocker, as a pure #1 ruckman, there's no way to sugarcoat it, he loses us games single-handedly, or at the very least makes it far harder to win. At his worst he gives us virtually zero good first use and a stack to the opposition right there in the centre square - the most difficult part of the ground to defend.

Throw a fit Soldo instead of Miller, or Nank (or both for that matter) into that Brisbane final, we win comfortably and may well have gone all the way.

Unlike some others, I was mightily impressed by Ivan's return game against Witts and the Nuns.
The continuing absence of Nank should give us the chance to see Soldo in the #1 ruck position for at least a couple more games.
I'm betting they will both play when Nank returns.

Like everyone here football is life and life aint great at the moment

V Swans - heart sunk the list of injuries really did bite and Swans not much better , commentators moaned about a poor standard game

V Melbourne – was upbeat afterwards , really came to play , everyone looked switched on , you could see holes , but you could see a way forward

V Suns – again commentators bemoaned a poor game , under the roof well into the season , both sides struggling , the boundary line commentator saying in the 1st qtr we don’t look switched on , it was not a game for the ages

The playing group that took the field against the Suns can do better and did just the week before, they showed spark, skills and smarts.

But we didn’t bring it 2 weeks in a row, we know we are at a cliff with players ageing and we aren’t confident with the prospects of many of our young players

I think that’s where our improvement will come from , something will click with two of more of Mansell, Hugo, Cumberland , Dow , Miller , Biggie

In the meantime we do a lot of teeth clenching

Seems the obvious and best solution and I reckon we'll look a different side when it happens.

Most people seriously underestimate the physical toll wrestling both Soldo and Nank takes out of oppo ruck divisions - and midfields more generally once they start laying tackles. It was a big reason we were such a good 4th quarter side back long ago when we were fielding both of them fit and firing.

Unlike some others, I was mightily impressed by Ivan's return game against Witts and the Nuns.
The continuing absence of Nank should give us the chance to see Soldo in the #1 ruck position for at least a couple more games.
Maybe, but only until Lynch returns and not if Gibcus comes in and plays forward before then.

We've been Jekyll and Hyde all season except the Gold Coast game which was all Jekyll

It won't get much better until we get some quality players back from injury.

The injury list before round one was concerning and it's only grown since then. I'd start asking questions of our fitness and conditioning team first and foremost.

If we had a healthy list, I doubt we'd be top of the table but we'd be in the 8 or close to it.

It is what it is. When we put enough holes on the field that our A listers can't cover our game plan disintegrates. I can't get past a better solution than the model we had when Fly developed our nursery and polished players came through the VFL to our main game. If we return to focusing on player development and tactical support for Dimma we'll be back in the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back