Are we really that bad?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the scoreboard suggest we have far greater problem scoring than saving them , 54 entries for 6G 16 says it all and we lose by 24p
I agree on that to a part also as we have had lots of forward entries, but unfortunately the quality of entries have been poor. I still think the defence has allowed the opposition to get too many easy goals.

I agree on that to a part also as we have had lots of forward entries, but unfortunately the quality of entries have been poor. I still think the defence has allowed the opposition to get too many easy goals.

That's correct - and the mistakes seem to come at critical moments.

Against the Swans, for instance, we had all the momentum in the third quarter when Balta had the Heeney howler.

I don’t believe we are that bad it’s just things are not in sync.
Tigers could have the makings of a very good backline and the nucleus of a very good midfield. Tigers do need another tall forward and HH would be ideal although unlikely - maybe go for Georgiades?
Short needs to be developed as an explosive mid as running back men are in surpass at Tigerland.
Another good, goal kicking midfielder and Tigers are right back in contention.

I don’t believe we are that bad it’s just things are not in sync.
Tigers could have the makings of a very good backline and the nucleus of a very good midfield. Tigers do need another tall forward and HH would be ideal although unlikely - maybe go for Georgiades?
Short needs to be developed as an explosive mid as running back men are in surpass at Tigerland.
Another good, goal kicking midfielder and Tigers are right back in contention.
Throw in our injuries, suspensions, inexperienced young players/new recruits and out of form older players...and an unhealthy dash of Umpire bias...and the old RFC is spluttering like a mis firing 2stroke motorbike...
I'd love Georgiades but reckon the smart option would be HH...
Our next game again the scatters ought to be a real good test to blow out the cobwebs...

I think things can turn around but something clearly isn’t right. There’s a lot of quality still on the list. It’ll make a big difference if some of the younger kids come to the party and the more senior players get their mojo back.

We need a clean out end of year retirement for are few and players that have been on the list far to long need to go including some kids.Get creative put up some big names on the trade table get back in the draft things can change quickly.

Football department needs the same review as the end of 2016 and invest in it because last couple of years we haven't. Fitness and injury wise department needs refreshing bigtime and assistant coaches to.Neil Balme needs to be involved in this.Dimma needs to focus on modern football now not this talk Richmond game and Richmond man game has changed you don't involve you get left behind.

At the moment, yes we are.

It's a combination of factors including form, injuries and some poor coaching.

I expect us to bounce back second half of the year and finish in the 12-9 bracket.

Hopefully get back to beating good sides, starting this week.

The future isn't all doom and gloom, but the list demographic and balance doesn't look right. We look too deep defensively and way too skinny in the forwards.

We have many issues to address but addressing our tackling & shepherding issues would go a long way to improving things in general. Been far and away our single biggest issue post-2020 IMO.

Also watching the replay was glad to hear commentators finally point out that our zoning is way too generous. Think it was Jordan Lewis who said the "teasing distance" is off, while another stated there were too many of our blokes just "guarding space".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know what's interesting? Richmond has led at 3 quarter time in 6 out of the 9 games we played - that's more than Collingwood, Melbourne, Port Adelaide, and St Kilda (5 times each). It is equal to Geelong and Western Bulldogs, and it is only behind Adelaide and Brisbane (7 times each). Son on this metric, we're really among the top 8 sides. So maybe the answer to this thread is that we're really not that bad.

The issue is our last quarters. From the 6 games we led at 3 quarter time, we only won 3. From the 3 games we trailed at 3 quarter time, we lost all of them. We're close, but we need to be better in the last quarter when leading at the end of the 3rd quarter. We won our last two 4th quarters when leading, so hopefully we keep it up.

We have many issues to address but addressing our tackling & shepherding issues would go a long way to improving things in general. Been far and away our single biggest issue post-2020 IMO.

Also watching the replay was glad to hear commentators finally point out that our zoning is way too generous. Think it was Jordan Lewis who said the "teasing distance" is off, while another stated there were too many of our blokes just "guarding space".
We've dropped a number of games this season purely because we refused to go to plan B. The zoning wasn't working and teams would just casually take the ball from end-to-end but we persisted. I get that Dimma wants to get the system right and for the pieces to fall into place and that takes time but even if we'd shifted to basic man-on-man a few times we could've stopped the oppo scoring freely and won out.
Hopefully the faith in getting the system right will set us up for the back end. Things are definitely looking that way. Just hard to swallow the losses that piled up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back