Opinion Are we really that much poorer with the 2017 retirements?

Is WCE going to be much poorer thanks to the 2017 retirements?

• Yep, the amount of experience lost will hurt the squad

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • No, old with the old in with the new

Votes: 48 59.3%
  • Unsure

• Come back Petrie!

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair point I was more referring to your first paragraph. It just seems the general consensus is we will finish bottom 6, but I feel like if Nic Nat and Shuey are at their best for most of the year this won't be the case. Not surprised at all we went from 2nd to 17th in Contested Possessions without Nic last year.

I guess my point is while our whole midfield is skewed by 1 or 2 players, I don't think this is much different to most other midfields in the comp
Our midfield is still not good any way you look at it but Nic Nat makes up a big part of the difference (if fit)

I actually think in the middle we can match and inporve on last year, in fact I think we will be a lot more dynamic as the season goes on.

However, I'm not sure this translates to ladder position. I'm very worried about JK, he's so crucial to our structure I think we're gonna have an up hill battle putting up a winning score until be he returns. Darling really needs to step up and tbh it looks unlikley.

We need to start working on plan B asap in regards to JK, he's on the wrong side of 30 now. Hopefully brandner is the answer.

I actually think in the middle we can match and inporve on last year, in fact I think we will be a lot more dynamic as the season goes on.

However, I'm not sure this translates to ladder position. I'm very worried about JK, he's so crucial to our structure I think we're gonna have an up hill battle putting up a winning score until be he returns. Darling really needs to step up and tbh it looks unlikley.

We need to start working on plan B asap in regards to JK, he's on the wrong side of 30 now. Hopefully brandner is the answer.
Brander looks solid, I'd be happy playing him at full forward until Kennedy gets back

We aren’t any better but fact that rookies are coming to replace 200+ gamers is bound to have a consistency impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our midfield is still not good any way you look at it but Nic Nat makes up a big part of the difference (if fit)
No doubt, my view is we drop from middle of the road to bottom few teams through losing nic. But i believe our defence and forward line (fully fit) makes us good enough to still compete with the best teams in the comp if our midfield goes back to middle of the road with nic back

NN is massive at centre bounces. Not just his tap work but the follow up and clearance. He brings our midfielders into the contest.
But a Danger/Fyfe/Dusty he is not. Around the ground his impact on our midfield output is minor.

NN is massive at centre bounces. Not just his tap work but the follow up and clearance. He brings our midfielders into the contest.
But a Danger/Fyfe/Dusty he is not. Around the ground his impact on our midfield output is minor.
No you're right he's not a top 5 midfielder in the game.
If however you think his impact on our midfield around the ground is minor then I think you need 6 eyes instead of 4. His follow up work and contested work around the packs helps our midfield immensely. There's a significant difference when he's not there and that's without looking at his ruck work.

Have we gone backwards through the loss of Priddis (Mitchel was delisted effectively prior to joining us and was a one season player). Petrie was a smart insurance policy given out ruck injuries last season. But regardless would last years list without current injuries be favourites to beat the Swans?

May take is that we are line ball but much more upside for the remainder of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cant see us sliding as bas as these so called experts predict. Im thinking we will finish mid table...again.

The loss of pridds and mitchell wont be felt IMO. Redden now has the opportunity to be the primary extractor. Sheed can play in the middle rather than being pushed up forward.

Im more concerned about this makeshift forward line.

I cant see us sliding as bas as these so called experts predict. Im thinking we will finish mid table...again.

The loss of pridds and mitchell wont be felt IMO. Redden now has the opportunity to be the primary extractor. Sheed can play in the middle rather than being pushed up forward.

Our lack of goals kicked in the pre-season (without JK) was a concern. The whole forward line needs to step up, otherwise the scoreboard is going to look a bit sick!

I don’t really buy this ‘Sheed can finally play in the middle’ argument. While last year he was often named on a flank before the game (heaps of on-ballers are these days) I’m fairly sure he would contest a large number of centre bounces.

They’ll get more continuity in there for sure but people make it sound as though Sheed, Redden, Ebert etc have all been forced to play full forward all game whenever Priddis was in the side

I don’t really buy this ‘Sheed can finally play in the middle’ argument. While last year he was often named on a flank before the game (heaps of on-ballers are these days) I’m fairly sure he would contest a large number of centre bounces.

They’ll get more continuity in there for sure but people make it sound as though Sheed, Redden, Ebert etc have all been forced to play full forward all game whenever Priddis was in the side
Such logic has no place with this audience

No but priddis was in a league of his own for slow

For instance sam mitchell - considered slow right?

His 20m time was closer to the fastest ever recorded at the draft combine than it was to priddis

Priddis was glacial slow.

Every team has a mix of fast and not so fast mids - we were the only team with anyone that slow

The oppositions slowest mids - Their dom sheeds etc could leave him in the dust

Just so it's known. A race was had in preseason last year and Mitchell was upset because he was slower than priddis. Now he wasn't always slower than priddis but he was last year in testing at least. Im sure as the season wore on with the cumulative issues with Pridda's back he may have been slower again but i would say that for players under 200cm they would have been 2 of the 3 slowest in the league.

Yeah a dubious free kick on the siren does not make you BOG.

32 disposals, 2 goals, 2 goal assists, 11 tackles and 5 marks pretty much does however. Oh yeah and the second goal was the match winner.

Shuey carried an injury through the mid part of last season which effected his performance (particularly in tight but as the club didnt release the info on this injury i will keep it to myself)

Look at shuey's first 6 rounds and up to halfway in the round 7 game to port and then look at the last 3 rounds. That was shuey fit and at peak form (his performance over those periods was top 5, potentially even top 3 in the league).

Even with carrying an injury he was still easily our best performed mid, was tagged every week and statistically had a career best season in multiple areas. But hey, he's not a match winner and had a down year....

Geez you must have been fun to watch that game with.
3f4.gif

The best game we've played under Simpson? If you say anything other than the QF against the hawks, you're wrong.

Mitchell had 35 touches and fed the ball beautifully to JK, Priddis was a monster on the inside, and Petrie snagged 5 goals and was taking contested marks left right and centre.

Oh wait, Mitchell got those 35 touches for the opposition, Petrie was across the country playing in an elimination final against Richmond, and Priddis was sitting on the sidelines.

We're really going to miss those guys.

#eaglesforthespoon

Back