Status
Not open for further replies.

TeeJay Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Just wanted to get this off my chest.

Everywhere I look, I am seeing these comments such as 'worst team in AFL history' and 'Carlton will win several more wooden spoons'. Either people are just saying that because they despise the team or they have to be really stupid. Yes, we were awful, but I wouldn't go as far as saying such stuff as 'they should be relegated to the VFL'. Hello, 16 premierships, the most successful Victorian team in Aussie Rules history? If we went like this, wouldn't we be saying the same thing about St. Kilda and Melbourne when they finished last? Would we be calling for GWS to be sent to the NEAFL when they looked to be making no progress for two years? Why are we considered to be SO terrible to the point where people think that an under 10's team could beat us? How did we even win games this year if this was the case?

The 2015 season sure did have moments where we were absolutely humiliated, and rightfully so. Consistent 60-70 point losses in the prime time slot was either one of the AFL making the club look stupid or the team digging its own grave. And the record-breaking loss against the Hawks was probably the most embarrassing defeat I have seen in my life. But overall, would I say this is the worst any team has performed in a season? The team did get 4 wins on the board and the percentage difference between them and the lions was pretty small. So did other teams that only got 1-2 wins in a season perform much better?

If you were paying close attention to the blues and their 2015 season, you would know that the reason for most of the losses were because of the lack of care and effort to put heads down and go in hard. The best example would have to be the round 5 match against Collingwood (which was Mick's record breaking game as coach). I was watching the game from start to finish and what I noticed was that the players didn't give a rats arse. It was like they did not want to be there. They were playing like witches hats. It was quite similar for most of the other defeats. Why do you think the team was able to only get one win under Malthouse, but get three wins under Barker? Why do you think Barker got a lot of praise from the members and supporters?

Also you can't forget the amount of injuries the club had suffered throughout the year:
- Dale Thomas dislocated his shoulder the first minute of round 1. Just his luck. And I believe he would of had a much better year if it didn't occur.
- Bryce Gibbs called it one of his most challenging seasons yet. Shoulder injury, comes back, gets suspended, comes back, tears his pectoral muscle and finally out for the rest of the year.
- As soon as Ciaran Byrne got his chance to shine, a hamstring issue kept him out from appearing in the team for a second time.
- Who could forget Chris Judd and his career-ending ACL injury? Not the way a modern champion of the game should have walked out.
- Dennis Armfield, Ciaran Sheehan, Levi Casboult, Sam Docherty, Cameron Giles, Andrew Carrazzo, Andrew Walker, Nick Graham, Kristian Jaksch, Marc Murphy, Michael Jamison, Chris Yarran, Matthew Kreuzer, Simon White, Robert Warnock and Billy Gowers were all out for an extended amount of time with injuries as well.
- And I can also add that Lachie Henderson turned his back on the club with a few weeks left.
It was one of the worst years for injuries. In fact, it was so bad, we were lucky to even put out a team in the final round.

While I won't deny that the 2015 Carlton list was one of the worst I've ever seen due to both the amount of unproven talent and lack of key position depth, this would have to be one of the best off-season list changing periods in history. It had proven that the club had an understanding when it comes to respecting its players (such as allowing Tom Bell to return home) and didn't go down without a fight (going hard in the trade period). And even though the list contains even more unproven players, I can safely say that the club is in a much better position than it was before.

If you honestly think we are yet to reach rock bottom, then I wouldn't support the team next year? A true supporter carries faith and hope through the tough times and believes the road to success is just around the corner. We have already hit rock bottom and are only beginning to get back on our feet. The team can't possibly finish lower or be any worse than 2015.

Last edited:
Every single person on the planet knows we live in an age of hyperbole...

And 80 percent of statistics are made up on the spot.

But to answer the OPs question: At present, yes. Yes we are.

We will struggle to win more than 5 games next year. Its a slow burn. Accept that, and embrace it, and look for the little signs over the next year or two.

I don't know how well or bad the Blues will go in 2016/17, I think the speculation revolves around the talent moved on, do the Blues have a functioning forward line, people like to take pop shots when a team is struggling , I know my team Port when they were struggling on and off the field all you heard was strip them of their license , their a disgrace etc. , it's frustrating as supporters you have to grin and bare it, support your team and the tide will turn....and it can happen quickly

I don't know how well or bad the Blues will go in 2016/17, I think the speculation revolves around the talent moved on, do the Blues have a functioning forward line, people like to take pop shots when a team is struggling , I know my team Port when they were struggling on and off the field all you heard was strip them of their license , their a disgrace etc. , it's frustrating as supporters you have to grin and bare it, support your team and the tide will turn....and it can happen quickly

I've told you before Kochie , * off!

Probably worst team in the history of AFL/VFL, make university look like contenders... :rolleyes:

Carlton isn't that far behind the bottom 6-7 teams - how many games won will be about injury (again) and how quickly Bolton settles a starting 22 who play his game style better than not.

I'm really excited about 2016.

Very few things are ever as bad as they seem, nor are things ever as rosy as they appear.

Halfway through 1999 ask any Bummer how many flags they thought they would win in the coming years...

In the short term yes (around 2-3 more seasons of pain) but should be fine towards 2019 onwards. Lack of quality 100 - 200/250 ish quality players is to blame, and that stems from well over a decade of poor recruiting/player and no one individual coach be it Ratten or Mick should be held accountable if previous recruiting managers/regimes kept firing blanks at the draft table.

A decade of poor recruiting and trading away good draft picks for only good players like Brock McLean, and overpaying the likes of Warnock set this club back years, and that's why I appreciate Mick starting the 'reset' button on our footy club and list, otherwise the same mediocre cycle at our footy club.

This football club was never going to win a premiership once Juddy's body started to wear down, probably is, Mick and the club's board and players were probably on different wavelengths, but the net result is this, we have now a fantastic new coach who is going to work his clacker off to make our club strong again, discarded two selfish individuals who only played for themselves, not the jumper (Yarran and Hendo) and replaced them with two quality kids Harry Mac and Prince Charles who have the talent/potential to be stars, CC hopefully can become our Bontempli)

Very comfortable having Son of Serge in charge of list management. And i do like how Trigg and LoGuidace's more honest/less bullshit approach to members.

I expect/hope for a more competitive Carlton in 2016, just don't think it will translate into more wins (at least Initially) but we're definitely on the right track.

It's irrelevant.

Were we that bad? Yes. Are we now? Nobody knows for sure until we start playing footy again.

I'm speaking about both sides.

WAS THIS THE WORST TEAM OF THE YEAR? - Yes, it was. There is no denying that.
WAS THIS THE WORST TEAM OF THE MODERN ERA? - Now THIS is debatable. There have been teams that have performed worse in a season.

DOES THE TEAM LOOK BETTER NOW? - Culture wise, there has been drastic improvement. Talent wise, it will require a lot of work. But this will be answered better during the 2016 season.

We won 4 games last season with considerably the worst list in the club's history. Do you really believe that we would struggle to win at least 1 game next season? When you have players hungry for game time, you know you are going to expect a lot from them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we will be better than last year due to the players hopefully caring.

But we can't expect anything in 2016 from our draftees. Maybe Weitering will provide a service season where he holds his own, but the others will largely be passengers.

I expect us to finish between 14-17, with small but promising improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Worst list ever? This team would slaughter the mid-2000's teams pre-Judd. Absolutely slaughter it. That list was the worst since the last years of Fitzroy.

I believe that that our list is in no way near as bad of a shape as it was six months ago talent wise. I think SOS and co did an amazing job starting the transformation of the list. It's the first of a five year plan. But five year plans scare me given how bad Sam Hinkie's doing with the 76ers.

Yes, we were. Dual losses to Brisbane were inexcusable. We had the worst fitness in the AFL and weren't just beaten but physically exhausted most weeks by half time.

Oh and the mental weakness...

'tis a monumental task to correct the damage in one preseason. But on the plus side, the team already looks stronger for round 1, despite losing Bell.

For me, the jury is still out. Much of last year saw the club in disarray, yet we had convincing wins against teams near us on the ladder & we also beat Port & with a little less panic, should have beaten Adelaide as well.

2016 will see us with a far more structured & disciplined set up & hopefully all players will be putting in rather than having a couple who aren't trying. No doubt we will cop some hidings, but I do believe there will be some surprise results as a result of teams letting down their guard.

Losing Henderson, Menzel, Yarran and Bell will hurt for sure. Even with the players we have got through the exchange period, I can't help but think we'll finish bottom 2, maybe bottom 4 if a few things go our way.

We cleaned up at the draft, and really think we're on the right track, but it will be a slow burn.

Losing Henderson, Menzel, Yarran and Bell will hurt for sure. Even with the players we have got through the exchange period, I can't help but think we'll finish bottom 2, maybe bottom 4 if a few things go our way.

We cleaned up at the draft, and really think we're on the right track, but it will be a slow burn.

Bell is the only one that didn't anything out of that lot despite their talent.

I don't think it will hurt us as much as a new gameplan and enthusiasm will help us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put it this way, if evolution is a premiership, we're an eye and a toe rolling round the bottom of a pond somewhere.

I wonder if we're a life-form that grows from the mouth or anus first...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back