Strategy Are we seeing a change in strategy?

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Have we made a conscious decision as a club to lean local with some of our draft picks and trades?

Just seeing us bring in Hately plus draft Thilthorpe and Pedlar this off season.

Has the procession of Gunston, Dangerfield, Lever, Cameron, McGovern... out the door over the journey worn us down and steered us in another direction as a club?

Two questions

1) Do you think this is a change in strategy or just a coincidence that the players we rate at those picks happen to be South Australian?

2) If it is a change in strategy, do you think the club is right to veer in this direction?

ShadeyP

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
If the talent is there i more than like us having our fair share of local lads ... Pride of and all

No, when 70% of the draft prospects are unknown talents this year, there will be a greater lean to the 30% known commodities.

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Legs, Wests Tigers
Have we made a conscious decision as a club to lean local with some of our draft picks and trades?

Just seeing us bring in Hately plus draft Thilthorpe and Pedlar this off season.

Has the procession of Gunston, Dangerfield, Lever, Cameron, McGovern... out the door over the journey worn us down and steered us in another direction as a club?

Two questions

1) Do you think this is a change in strategy or just a coincidence that the players we rate at those picks happen to be South Australian?

2) If it is a change in strategy, do you think the club is right to veer in this direction?

I must admit, I've thought exactly the same thing in the last few weeks - I personally think it's a definite change in policy. And I think the motivation might not just be purely football oriented, but about getting some identity and connection back in the club. Wouldn't be surprised if it's one of the outcomes from the review.

I remember when Nicksy first came to the club, and he made a point of highlighting that he was 'coming home. I reckon he's a proud South Aussie, so we could be seeing a bit of his influence as well.

Whatever the reason, I love it.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

Two questions

A little bit of change in strategy but ALOT to do with no footy in Vic this year so rather than taking players on trust we took players we knew well with exposed form this year

also there was some good local talent which helped , even more if we took Poulter instead of Berry but you can’t win them all !

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think the go home thing is something that needs to be fixed via the draft and I would be disappointed if they thought that too. It's a culture thing that needs to be fixed.

The one factor that could explain this draft is the exposure the SA players had versus the Victorians.

Thilthorpe looks to rightfully be up there with the top few picks and Cook did have an outstanding year at u18s. Pedlar and Rowe I have no idea about.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
1) I bluddywell hope so (that it's a change in strategy). Thilthorpe in particular is a lifelong Crows fan. I'd love for him to be a One-Club man.
2) Yes, absolutely. About time, isn't it?

StickerMan

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Norwood,
I must admit, I've thought exactly the same thing in the last few weeks - I personally think it's a definite change in policy. And I think the motivation might not just be purely football oriented, but about getting some identity and connection back in the club. Wouldn't be surprised if it's one of the outcomes from the review.

I remember when Nicksy first came to the club, and he made a point of highlighting that he was 'coming home. I reckon he's a proud South Aussie, so we could be seeing a bit of his influence as well.

Whatever the reason, I love it.
A comment from Kelly during trade week was something along the lines of, "we are keen to talk to any SA player who wants to return home..."

Made a strong point in saying this, so with our drafting, and Nicks trying to build a stronger culture and identity, thus could definitely be a tactic.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
30 Vics
14 SANFL
10 WAFL
2 NSW
2 QLD
1 NT

Having almost a quarter of the draft come from SA this year helps.

On the back of Luko, Rankine, Rozee etc from a few years ago - looking forward to State of Origin making a comeback in about 2023!

Highlights point Jeffcrowe was making though, in that proportion of non-vic draftees is skewed more by lack of VIC exposure than talent jump in SA pool.

Back