nolsey77

All Australian
Aug 21, 2001
house
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
GEELONG - Fighting On
There is no doubt that Geelong are on the right track with the youth policy, but last nights game against the Lions was always going to have one ending - Brisbane winning.

These players are the future of Geelong, but whilst it was a learning experience Geelong still lost by 57 points.
Peter Riccardi went missing
Daniel Foster looked lost
Cameron Mooney undid all his good work in the last 3 weeks.
Mitchell White's body is shot- I was not a fan of him being recruited, but he has loads of class but his body is gone.
Steven King white being good- was comprehensively out jumped by McDonald.

Tim Mc Grath and Menschy are virtually on the scrap heap, :(
Why I do not know; Bluey needs to be there to support Foster.

Harley, Sanderson and Scarlett have hearts as big a Corio Bay but they need support. - Graham.

If bomber wants to see Cameron Mooney Succeed Ben has to go to CHB.

No point in playing Chambers if he’s going to sit on the Bench for most of the Game.

I have got one small problem with the playing of the young players.

Why have we played, 6 similar type players
Ablett- forward pocket - midfield
Bartel- forward pocket- midfield
D Johnson-back pocket- midfield
S. Johnson-forward pocket- midfield
J. Kelly- midfield
J. Rooke-midfield/tagger

Whilest Gardiner, Payfair and McCarty are forwards and we need to get one or two of these guys to string a few good games in the VFL and put pressure on the forwards to hold there spot.

The Club have been quick to give up on Rahilly, Wojinski and Grgic.

What has Chappy done to upset Bomber ?????????

This is not a criticism it is just an observation turned in to an opinion.

Some positives should come in the next few weeks

Marc Woolnough will be back in the seniors in the next few weeks
Peter Street will be back in the 1's in the next 3-4 weeks.
Spriggsy and Corey Enright will be out on the track - obviously Spriggsy will just be doing some very light running and some ball work.

I think its time they unleash Gary Ablett, they had a shot of him sitting on the Bench he was not some kid sitting on the bench he was a footballer that was unhappy with his performance itching to get on a have a crack.

Bartel and Ablett have played all 6 games, I'd like to see Bomber say to them, just go for it forget your opponent, just go out there get the footy kick a few sausage rolls and enjoy yourself. Then over the next few weeks keep rotating them on and off the bench like he’s been doing all year.

nolsey77,

We are definately on the right track in playing our kids. Frank Costa came out last week and said plan A was to play the kids, plan B was to revert to plan A and there was no plan C. This would give the younger players tremendous amounts of confidence, and Geelong as a club will go a long way if we continue to follow this youth policy.

Keep the faith!! We played the best side in the competition last night on their own ground and I thought our players took on the challenge and although beaten, we certainly weren't disgraced and will learn a lot from the experience. :):)

Go Cats!! :cool:
SeinDude

I tend to agree with Nolsey. I'm all for the kids playing and am looking forward to them becoming the leaders of our club but at the moment I feel there are too many of them in the side. Another 2 debutants last night but against the best side in the land? I seemed a little strange. I just hope they don't lose their confidence and we fall down the ladder. I think you need your players with a bit more experience in there. But the kids need to learn and they are the future so at least we can't complain that we have all these talented young players but aren't giving them a game.

I think it's the only way to go with all the kids, even McGrath and Mensch wouldn't have made a difference when you play a side like brissy anyone who goes up their usually gets a flogging, at least this way we had Johnson & Kelly both taste the big time and they can only benifit from the expirience.

Couldn't really guage how good Kelly and Johnson are, but i agree with SeinDude in a different post that Johnson looks like he belongs out there.

And it is a bit of a mistery why thompson hasn't played any of the young forwards, especially Gardiner he came here with big wraps.

The kids aren't ever going to learn anything sitting on the bench, other than how to pick the splinters out of their butts. You learn the rigors of these wars from playing and participating. Playing the young players en masse is the way to go, and while there will be some growing pains, it has proved to be more successful than not most of the time, so far.

Last night was one of those things you can file away under the title of "experiences, learning".

Cheers,
William

Remove this Banner Ad

Back