Are we... the toughest home crowd??

Remove this Banner Ad

upthecoastaz

Rookie
Oct 10, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Was having a chat with my mates today (not all west coast fans) discussing who teams dread playing against at home. Everyone reckoned it was west coast in Perth, hands down. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been to optus numerous times and we are absolute dickheads to the oppo, definitely very hostile but I thought surely you’d have to consider maybe Richmond or Pies at the G as a tough home crowd? Kinda shocked at how quickly everyone jumped to west coast. I’ve never been to the g so I wouldn’t know but I’m sure they could give optus a run for its money in terms of atmosphere.

"It's probably the loudest crowd I've played in front of, it's literally 60,000 people against you" quote From Pendlebury.

All online I always see people talking s**t about optus’ west coast crowd about how inconsiderate and feral we are with all the (let’s face it) unnecessary booing etc. Doesn’t really bother me, may as well own it right?
Hopefully next year we continue to provide the same intimidating atmosphere. No doubt the crowd support pushed the lads over the line on more than one occasion.

What do you think guys? Are we the toughest? Obviously there’s no correct answer but in your opinion.

P.S I feel bad for lycett hahaha he’s really going to cop it when port come down here. Fingers crossed we star an Up the coasters chant just to take the piss lol

The noise at the final against the Pies was the loudest crowd I've ever heard, I've been to the G numerous times including this years GF and nothing has come close to the last ten minutes of that game, it was so intense it was like a physical force bearing down on you.
No wonder the Pies buckled.

The noise at the final against the Pies was the loudest crowd I've ever heard, I've been to the G numerous times including this years GF and nothing has come close to the last ten minutes of that game, it was so intense it was like a physical force bearing down on you.
No wonder the Pies buckled.

Lucky mate! I wasn’t able to go to that final absolutely gutted as it was mental and probably my favourite game of the season. Definitely one for the books. Can’t even imagine how loud the crowd was once Jetta kicked that goal. * I love footy. Anyway, my question was more so pertaining to the standard afl match, not so much finals. I’m definitely not looking forward to Richmond at the g next year

I would say yes, West Coast home crowds are the most ferocious.......and tbh I`m bloody proud of that.
The SA teams, probably Port slightly more, would be just behind us.
Richmond, Collingwood, Geelong at Kardinia the best of the Vics

The Scott Bros complaining about the biased crowd was hilarious!
A biased Vic complaining about bias?
GF=80,000 Pies fans vs. 20,000 Eagles at the MCG...bias?
Let's have more bias, noise affirmation and umpire favoritism, stirred gently
with arrogance!
Let's keep the foot on the pedal!
B2B is the new black!

Last edited:
I think we're the most daunting crowd to play in front of, a bit like that Richmond / Geelong final at the G but every week. It's always packed and always around 80% Eagles fans.

The biggest home ground advantage imo is Geelong's. It's uniquely shaped ground that you have to travel to, with a one sided crowd and isolated but still in Victoria, so they rarely actually Travel.

I think we're the most daunting crowd to play in front of, a bit like that Richmond / Geelong final at the G but every week. It's always packed and always around 80% Eagles fans.

The biggest home ground advantage imo is Geelong's. It's uniquely shaped ground that you have to travel to, with a one sided crowd and isolated but still in Victoria, so they rarely actually Travel.

Can’t forget north in bloody Tasmania. What a mare

At what point did we go from being chardonnay sipping retirees to having a ferocious booing home crowd? :)
Either way, will wear the tag with pride :D

We haven't, according to the Victorian Critical Paradox, we are both chardonnay-sipping retirees and feral, booing thugs. The universal constant in this paradox, is that we don't understand football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At what point did we go from being chardonnay sipping retirees to having a ferocious booing home crowd? :)
Either way, will wear the tag with pride :D
At what point? - We mutate into a ferocious blood-lusting, baying crowd after 2-3 full glasses of the golden nectar!
As summer arrived, I bought a cheeky chardonnay the other day and sipped it with pride and a hint of smokey-oaked arrogance.

I thought about all the people around the world who drink chardonnay but aren't Eagles supporters...what does that make them?
And all the Freo fans who secretly, ashamedly, guzzle chardonnay under the cover of darkness, along the coffee strip down in harbour town...what does that make them?

But we've earnt our title quaffing the sublime liquid in public, in open stadiums, in the face of adversity, brave and daring (like out footy team) without a backward step. We wear the title 'senior chardonnay sippers' like a suit of armour, recently topped off with a premiership crown!
We are the Eagles. We are arrogant. We sip chardonnay!
(and beer, cider, white wine, red wine, bourbon, vodka, tequila, whisky, gin etc etc)

Chardonnay is the best.

On topic I was always a bit under whelmed with the MCG crowd atmosphere TBH. I have been to Anzac Day games and never really thought they were as good as the Vic media makes out.

Collingwood fans never seem to cheer loud until they have the game in the bag?

At what point? - We mutate into a ferocious blood-lusting, baying crowd after 2-3 full glasses of the golden nectar!
As summer arrived, I bought a cheeky chardonnay the other day and sipped it with pride and a hint of smokey-oaked arrogance.

I thought about all the people around the world who drink chardonnay but aren't Eagles supporters...what does that make them?
And all the Freo fans who secretly, ashamedly, guzzle chardonnay under the cover of darkness, along the coffee strip down in harbour town...what does that make them?

But we've earnt our title quaffing the sublime liquid in public, in open stadiums, in the face of adversity, brave and daring (like out footy team) without a backward step. We wear the title 'senior chardonnay sippers' like a suit of armour, recently topped off with a premiership crown!
We are the Eagles. We are arrogant. We sip chardonnay!
(and beer, cider, white wine, red wine, bourbon, vodka, tequila, whisky, gin etc etc)

Brilliant post ,Astro. You have set a high standard for 2019.
"I bought a cheeky chardonnay the other day and sipped it with pride and a hint of smokey-oaked arrogance." Pure gold.:tearsofjoy:
Also great to see Kulture and Arrogance carrying forward from season 2018. The hallmarks of true West Coasters!!!

Chardonnay is the best.

On topic I was always a bit under whelmed with the MCG crowd atmosphere TBH. I have been to Anzac Day games and never really thought they were as good as the Vic media makes out.

Collingwood fans never seem to cheer loud until they have the game in the bag?
Very good observation. I went to a MCG match when we played Collingwood 4 or 5 years ago and the scores were pretty even at half time. But CW got a few early in the third qtr and the Collingwood supporters volume trebled and you could see the effect it had on our players who started to fumble and lose their confidence and unfortunately they ran all over us.
Also was lucky enough to be there for the GF this year and it was pretty noticeable how loud they got when their team were in front. BUT the difference this time was that our boys just kept on fighting, our supporters got louder and let me set the scene - you know what happened next. Best day ever !!!

Brilliant post ,Astro. You have set a high standard for 2019.
"I bought a cheeky chardonnay the other day and sipped it with pride and a hint of smokey-oaked arrogance." Pure gold.:tearsofjoy:
Also great to see Kulture and Arrogance carrying forward from season 2018. The hallmarks of true West Coasters!!!
Why thank you Mr. Doff, we aim to please...and sometimes talk about footy?

Id say it goes (per capita):

Us
Richmond
Geelong (at Kardinia Park)
Port Adelaide
Collingwood = Adelaide
Freo
Bulldogs
Carlton = Essendon
Norf = Hawks
Saints
Dees
Swans
Lions = GWS
Suns

Id say it goes (per capita):

Us
Richmond
Geelong (at Kardinia Park)
Port Adelaide
Collingwood = Adelaide
Freo
Bulldogs
Carlton = Essendon
Norf = Hawks
Saints
Dees
Swans
Lions = GWS
Suns
Think you under rate Essendon, they're a pack of flogs. Tough crowd to sit amongst.

Think you under rate Essendon, they're a pack of flogs. Tough crowd to sit amongst.

tenor.gif

I think the major difference to the big Vic teams is that the crowd is so one sided in Perth, I don't know the figures but for most games I can't imagine the number of away fans numbers more than 2500 max.

Once 55,000 or more fans start making noise in unison that is pretty intimidating. For that reason I would suggest that Adelaide Oval is a similar challenge for away teams. But I reckon the noise factor combined with the extra travel would make Perth the hardest place to play as an away team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back