Are we... the toughest home crowd??

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the major difference to the big Vic teams is that the crowd is so one sided in Perth, I don't know the figures but for most games I can't imagine the number of away fans numbers more than 2500 max.

Once 55,000 or more fans start making noise in unison that is pretty intimidating. For that reason I would suggest that Adelaide Oval is a similar challenge for away teams. But I reckon the noise factor combined with the extra travel would make Perth the hardest place to play as an away team.
plus we are more feral than those croweaters :fist::handfist:

I think the major difference to the big Vic teams is that the crowd is so one sided in Perth, I don't know the figures but for most games I can't imagine the number of away fans numbers more than 2500 max.

Once 55,000 or more fans start making noise in unison that is pretty intimidating. For that reason I would suggest that Adelaide Oval is a similar challenge for away teams. But I reckon the noise factor combined with the extra travel would make Perth the hardest place to play as an away team.
From personal experience I would say there are similarities. We have tiny numbers interstate so it may not reflect other clubs well.

I've been to AO twice in the last couple of years. Round 1 2017 and the 2017 QF. Optus oval once last year. It is a very parochial crowd at both venues but actually civilised. I've no doubt the crowd had an impact on our guys at AO.

I expect supporters to boo umpiring decisions and they do, whether it's Tigers or Magpie supporters at the G, Crows or you guys at home. The difference is in Victoria Toby Greene, :cool:the lovable scamp, gets booed. Vic press I suspect.

I dont think the atmosphere at Optus had much effect, you were very hard to beat this year. When we played at Subiaco in 2015 I thought we played near our best QTR for the year in the first and then collapsed and lost by 15 goals when the atmosphere got to the guys though.

From a personal standpoint despite the reputation of your crowd my experience at the ground was civil. As was AO in fact. I did sit with our cheer squad first time at a new ground though.

Maybe we are, but I think that the Vics just like having a whinge. It's obviously not as feral now as the old days, but I do remember the earlier days of the Eagles at the Melbourne suburban grounds. Moorabin mud bath, feral Vic Park where things were thrown at the players and support staff, cups of urine poured on the payers in the race at Kardinya Park, the windsock tied down at Windy Hill, cold showers in the Eagles rooms, heck Don Pyke was even put in headlock once from a spectator, I can't remember the ground and much more. The whining that goes on over a few boos at Optus is hilarious.

Was having a chat with my mates today (not all west coast fans) discussing who teams dread playing against at home. Everyone reckoned it was west coast in Perth, hands down. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been to optus numerous times and we are absolute dickheads to the oppo, definitely very hostile but I thought surely you’d have to consider maybe Richmond or Pies at the G as a tough home crowd? Kinda shocked at how quickly everyone jumped to west coast. I’ve never been to the g so I wouldn’t know but I’m sure they could give optus a run for its money in terms of atmosphere.

"It's probably the loudest crowd I've played in front of, it's literally 60,000 people against you" quote From Pendlebury.

All online I always see people talking s**t about optus’ west coast crowd about how inconsiderate and feral we are with all the (let’s face it) unnecessary booing etc. Doesn’t really bother me, may as well own it right?
Hopefully next year we continue to provide the same intimidating atmosphere. No doubt the crowd support pushed the lads over the line on more than one occasion.

What do you think guys? Are we the toughest? Obviously there’s no correct answer but in your opinion.

P.S I feel bad for lycett hahaha he’s really going to cop it when port come down here. Fingers crossed we star an Up the coasters chant just to take the piss lol
Does a bear s**t in the woods?

I expect supporters to boo umpiring decisions and they do, whether it's Tigers or Magpie supporters at the G, Crows or you guys at home. The difference is in Victoria Toby Greene, :cool:the lovable scamp, gets booed. Vic press I suspect.
C'mon, you don't actually believe that Greene is the victim of Vic media bashing surely? The bloke is a grub of the highest order and that is purely from what I have seen on the field (I live in QLD). He is also extremely talented its a damn shame he acts like such a campaigner.

C'mon, you don't actually believe that Greene is the victim of Vic media bashing surely? The bloke is a grub of the highest order and that is purely from what I have seen on the field (I live in QLD). He is also extremely talented its a damn shame he acts like such a campaigner.
Spot on. The bloke is universally despised due to the dog acts he performs on the field. eg putting his boots into an approaching players face.
If you want a laugh see this link https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/photoshop-pfunnies-toby-greene-kung-fu-fighter.1204300/

Very good observation. I went to a MCG match when we played Collingwood 4 or 5 years ago and the scores were pretty even at half time. But CW got a few early in the third qtr and the Collingwood supporters volume trebled and you could see the effect it had on our players who started to fumble and lose their confidence and unfortunately they ran all over us.
Also was lucky enough to be there for the GF this year and it was pretty noticeable how loud they got when their team were in front. BUT the difference this time was that our boys just kept on fighting, our supporters got louder and let me set the scene - you know what happened next. Best day ever !!!

"... our boys just kept on fighting, our supporters got louder and let me set the scene - you know what happened next. Best day ever !!!"

Amen to that!

I was there as well.:)

The noise from the Black and White Army when The Pies kicked those first 5 goals in Q1 was bad enough but it went up 10 fold when they kicked the first two goals of Q4.

So many special moments.

And the WCE fans were right up there as well when Yeo kicked that goal in Q3 and when Sheed nailed that Q4 goal - well ... you just had to be there ... I just don't have the words.

We stayed on at the G for a long time in our seats just chatting to other WCE fans long after that siren blew - when that siren went ... just so special particularly as we had sat thought the pain of 2015.

I am not sure what the time it was when we left (I think we could have stayed till midnight) but I said to the family, "... well I'm ready to go back to the Hotel now ... I have been a WCE supporter since they started and I just can't imagine how this day could get any better."

And I have to say that the Pies fans I ran into after the game took it very well.

Every element just seemed to line up.

1. Coming back from 5 goals down.
2. Showing the Vics that the G holds no fears for our club
3. That "let's just grind them down" play in Q2
4. Yeo's goal in Q3
5. Beating Collingwood - well beating the Pies is always good but in a GF by 5 points after they have led for most of the day - that's special.
6. Three key players out.
7. Schofield played an absolute blinder.
8. Darling's Q3 display - class stamped all over it.
9. Vardy gets some glory on the biggest day of the year after years and years of battling injuries.
10. Shuey lights up the MCG with his regular midfield brilliance.

And my missus doesn't want to go to a GF again as she reckons nothing could be better then 2018.

And here's some facts that the biased Vics overlooked as we charged across the season and then at the finals in 2018.

Since 2015

Number of games won WCE #1 AFL
Number of finals played WCE #1 AFL
Number of finals won WCE #1 AFL

Those facts were quoted on Foxtel's 'On the Couch' after the game.

Oh ... and the loudest crowd I heard all year - the last 10 minutes of the Qualifying Final at Optus. Just Insane!

Fcuk the haters. Who cares. Our crowd is the 23rd player. Influences umpires, scares opposition. Booooooo. I'm proud of every single shithouse thing we've done. Booing Watson after admitting taking a banned substance. Booing Goodes for being a prick. Cheering Gaff even though he fcuked up. We support our own. Never been more proud.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fcuk the haters. Who cares. Our crowd is the 23rd player. Influences umpires, scares opposition. Booooooo. I'm proud of every single shithouse thing we've done. Booing Watson after admitting taking a banned substance. Booing Goodes for being a prick. Cheering Gaff even though he fcuked up. We support our own. Never been more proud.
They're all just jealous of us. The Watson event I am particularly fond of. The Vic's crying 'Poor Joe's was hilarious

"... our boys just kept on fighting, our supporters got louder and let me set the scene - you know what happened next. Best day ever !!!"

Amen to that!

I was there as well.:)

The noise from the Black and White Army when The Pies kicked those first 5 goals in Q1 was bad enough but it went up 10 fold when they kicked the first two goals of Q4.

So many special moments.

And the WCE fans were right up there as well when Yeo kicked that goal in Q3 and when Sheed nailed that Q4 goal - well ... you just had to be there ... I just don't have the words.

We stayed on at the G for a long time in our seats just chatting to other WCE fans long after that siren blew - when that siren went ... just so special particularly as we had sat thought the pain of 2015.

I am not sure what the time it was when we left (I think we could have stayed till midnight) but I said to the family, "... well I'm ready to go back to the Hotel now ... I have been a WCE supporter since they started and I just can't imagine how this day could get any better."

And I have to say that the Pies fans I ran into after the game took it very well.

Every element just seemed to line up.

1. Coming back from 5 goals down.
2. Showing the Vics that the G holds no fears for our club
3. That "let's just grind them down" play in Q2
4. Yeo's goal in Q3
5. Beating Collingwood - well beating the Pies is always good but in a GF by 5 points after they have led for most of the day - that's special.
6. Three key players out.
7. Schofield played an absolute blinder.
8. Darling's Q3 display - class stamped all over it.
9. Vardy gets some glory on the biggest day of the year after years and years of battling injuries.
10. Shuey lights up the MCG with his regular midfield brilliance.

And my missus doesn't want to go to a GF again as she reckons nothing could be better then 2018.

And here's some facts that the biased Vics overlooked as we charged across the season and then at the finals in 2018.

Since 2015

Number of games won WCE #1 AFL
Number of finals played WCE #1 AFL
Number of finals won WCE #1 AFL

Those facts were quoted on Foxtel's 'On the Couch' after the game.

Oh ... and the loudest crowd I heard all year - the last 10 minutes of the Qualifying Final at Optus. Just Insane!

Like all of us that made the long journey from west to east you were rewarded with an experience that you will never forget.
I am still reliving moments from that day same as you.
In our section the Collingwood fans started the "USA USA" chant when the big useless yank finally got lucky and kicked a goal and the West Coast fans immediately started a "DOUBLE U A,DOUBLE U A". It was great to be a WESTERN Australian on that day. Just sooo many magic moments it was like living in a dream.
And just a tip for your missus - I felt the same about going in 2018 because I didn't think it would be be better than when I went in 2006. How wrong was that !! So the moral is ...JUST DO IT.
And I also agree about the Pie fans. Most of them took the loss pretty well considering that they must have felt devastated. I know I would have been had it not been for that "DOM IS GOOD SHEED" kick.One young boy wearing a Collingwood jumper was crying as he left and was consoled by quite a few WC supporters.
Enjoy your memories:D:westcoast:

In our section the Collingwood fans started the "USA USA" chant when the big useless yank finally got lucky and kicked a goal and the West Coast fans immediately started a "DOUBLE U A,DOUBLE U A". It was great to be a WESTERN Australian on that day.

I must have been sitting right near you, the WA chant was epic!

s**t yeah we are feral, some of our supporters go to the footy just to abuse our own players, never mind the opposition.:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back