Are You A Cheer Squad Member & Why?

Remove this Banner Ad

If you have nothing to hide then you’ll be all sweet. For those that do then so what if they’re weeded out?
What's the difference between them and everyone else in the stadium sitting next to kids is what I don't get. Heck there even seems to be almost zero children in them whenever they pan the camera to the cheer squad at the games.

Well that’s sad for those falsely accused no doubt. What about the one’s that aren’t false? Don’t we want to eliminate their exposure to children in as many circumstances as possible, including football cheer squads?

my point is that thos won’t work the way it’s supposed to and is not controllable. one could also argue that it ultimately does more harm than good... i don’t remember too many cases of child sexual abuse occuring at the MCG...

and by that logic wouldn’t we want to limit chiodren’s exposure to meth heads, alcoholics, domestic abuser... or violent offenders in general and so on. certainly not around racists.

now that i think about this, it makes less and less sense to me

my point is that thos won’t work the way it’s supposed to and is not controllable. one could also argue that it ultimately does more harm than good... i don’t remember too many cases of child sexual abuse occuring at the MCG...

and by that logic wouldn’t we want to limit chiodren’s exposure to meth heads, alcoholics, domestic abuser... or violent offenders in general and so on. certainly not around racists.

now that i think about this, it makes less and less sense to me
So because there hasn't been many cases of it so far is reason not to be ever vigilant to minimise risks of it happening in the future? There's been no terrorist attacks at the G either. Let's stop scanning patrons on entry.

As for the rest, if those occur in the home then child services should be called. If just out and about in public then parents can merely move their kids away from meth heads or violent offenders (or call the police)...

I remember back in the 80s there was a loser guy in the Sturt cheersquad ( not that the description would narrow down the person) who used to bang the teenage girls that hung around the cheersquad. He was in his early 30s and the girls were 13-15.

Would guess he wouldn't be getting a WWCC

So because there hasn't been many cases of it so far is reason not to be ever vigilant to minimise risks of it happening in the future? There's been no terrorist attacks at the G either. Let's stop scanning patrons on entry.

As for the rest, if those occur in the home then child services should be called. If just out and about in public then parents can merely move their kids away from meth heads or violent offenders (or call the police)...

if kids are with there parents isn’t the whole issue moot? it’s doubtful that many predators identify arenas with 10s of thousands of ppl with linited privacy and security as ideal stomping grounds and i don’t think the comparison of terrorism is a very good one. maybe try thinking about it a little more.

716225-994da910-51a6-11e3-b7b4-89041ea3763d.jpg
tenor.gif
Joffa+Corfe+AFL+Rd+2+Collingwood+v+Carlton+HAUOki__Qk2l.jpg
Especially that West Coast Clown. Going on ACA claiming he was scared for his life.....stuff me!

Given it is a free volunteer card, I don’t think we will see too much opposition. We will see.
Those that whinge about it would probably be the first to whinge if something bad happened.

Many first year uni students begin at age 17. Still minors.

Yeah I have to have a WWC as an uni teacher, even though I teach post grad and do it online, in case I ever come into virtual contact with a minor. Don't understand people bitching it about it, it annoys you for what 10 minutes and could prevent something bad happening to someone.

Yeah I have to have a WWC as an uni teacher, even though I teach post grad and do it online, in case I ever come into virtual contact with a minor. Don't understand people bitching it about it, it annoys you for what 10 minutes and could prevent something bad happening to someone.

Spot on. I have recently become a bus driver, and gaining DPTI clearance to allow me to carry children was an absolute sine qua non for the position. We live in different times from when I was a kid, but looking back I'm surprised the authorities were so lax about things.

Spot on. I have recently become a bus driver, and gaining DPTI clearance to allow me to carry children was an absolute sine qua non for the position. We live in different times from when I was a kid, but looking back I'm surprised the authorities were so lax about things.

Technology - it would have been impossible to cross reference back in the day.

Why don't we just make people who want to have children go through a Working with Children check.

Makes more sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fmd. When i was in the cheer squad many many years ago all the members except a few organisers where children. Wtf are adults doing in a cheer squad anyway.
Why are there cheersquads? Seem more like a sheltered workshop to me.

Restricting freedom of speech hurts those that shouldn't be silenced as well as the ones that should.

A wwcc requirement only impacts those that should be excluded.

I completed a check last week. 5 mins online and a photo at the post office (free process for volunteers).

A tiny bit of a nuisance, but Meh. If you're too busy for that, you're probably too busy to be volunteering to play around with crepe paper and sticky tape on the weekends.....

$100 to do this in SA - and only lasts 3 years

Why are there cheersquads? Seem more like a sheltered workshop to me.

Cheersquads are more than just the guys that do banners and throw floggers around at grounds.

They do a fair bit of fundraising and player sponsorship for clubs too. Also help with things like BBQ's etc at player appearances etc. Any club-sanctioned bus trips for away matches are often coordinated by the cheer squads too (Adelaide, for example, has a bus or 2 for every Victorian match).

Yes, they do attract people with disabilities (not that we should be mocking them for supporting their club), but there's also many who are just incredibly passionate about their club.

Lol at the people not understanding why working with children clearances are important. Watch the news much?

Maybe google Catholic Priests and you'll get an idea why they aren't "excessive".

Why don't we just make people who want to have children go through a Working with Children check.

Makes more sense.

Because they're used as a back door way to get police checks on people while making it seem like they're being responsible.

Lol at the people not understanding why working with children clearances are important. Watch the news much?

Maybe google Catholic Priests and you'll get an idea why they aren't "excessive".

By your logic everyone will have to get a working with children clearance to attend matches or go for a stroll down Bourke St

Remove this Banner Ad

Back