Are You A Cheer Squad Member & Why?

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering that Sam Gilbert first met Kim Duthie at a school clinic, it's not really that much of a joke...
Except he would have passed a working with children check and, as he was never charged with anything, probably still would. My 82 year old Mum has had to get a WWCC so she can sell marmalade at a church fete. I get the need to make it hard for paedophiles to operate, but they would do better focussing on the power structures in schools and institutions that breed this sort of practice rather than the hiring practices imo.

You can have a minor indiscretion and not be eligible for a card. It's pretty crazy. People think working with children's checks apply to crimes against children or serious crimes, but that isn't the case.

That being said, not sure why anyone over the age of 13 would want to be part of the cheersquad.
I agree with you, cheersquads are for kids. I had to get a WWC check every few years as a teacher in W.A. and it was pretty quick and painless. I am not sure what minor indiscretions would rule you ineligible. Do you know someone who could not get one because of that?

It's free for volunteers...and how on earth did yours cost $150? For an Employee card they cost $120 initially and $90 each time you renew after. And even then, just claim it back on tax to get some back.
Some guy in a back alley in Fitzroy did it for me. He said I was getting a good price?!

Public place. Private place (venues where they meet). Kind of different. I don't think you fully understand the purpose of a working with children check. Maybe teachers shouldn't need checks either, ay?

"Before we give you this job dealing with 20+ kids in this totally private evironment, can we ask - are you a sex offender?"

"Nah, thats against my rights. Next they'll be asking people for checks walking down Bourke St"

"Right... thats fair"

For the office bearers, yes all for them needing working with children checks.

The rank and file members is overkill - especially when it'll cost 2-3 times the cost of membership to the supporter groups to have a working with children check. What's next, every club member needing a working with children check? A working with children check with your drivers licence renewal?

The rank and file members is overkill - especially when it'll cost 2-3 times the cost of membership to the supporter groups to have a working with children check. What's next, every club member needing a working with children check? A working with children check with your drivers licence renewal?
You have literally zero idea what a working with children check is for. Its for people who are being trusted around children in a private environment. Look it up. How is a drivers license being trusted to handle children in a private environment? How is a club member being trusted to handle kids in a private environment?

You have literally zero idea what a working with children check is for. Its for people who are being trusted around children in a private environment. Look it up. How is a drivers license being trusted to handle children in a private environment? How is a club member being trusted to handle kids in a private environment?

How is a rank and file member of a support group being trusted to handle kids in a private environment?

Could say the same for any social club?

This reminds me of the anti gay marriage argument of what next people will marry their pets!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a common assault conviction for pointing and yelling at someone.

To all the moral lefties out there are you suggesting I shouldn't be able to ever be involved in any role with anything ever relating to children?

Joined the Crows cheer squad this season.

It's an eclectic mix of people - ranging from kids to the elderly. Yes, there's a few who are a few sandwiches short of a picnic (and cheer squads are great chance for them to head out and mix with others), but the majority are just hardcore fanatics, or see it as a way to invest into the club.

I posted elsewhere that cheer squad do more than build banners. They assist with many club events - for example, the Crows have nights where players will appear at a Toyota dealer, the Supporter Group will provide the bbq for the event (which requires a food prep course in order to do so). They also arrange bus transport for Victorian away matches, and for all finals matches (1-2 buses for minor round matches, right up to 12 they had for the Grand Final last year). They also sponsor a player or two each season.

Also, anyone's who been involved in building a banner will appreciate that it's not as easy as it looks.

They're more than a bunch of nutters with banners and floggers.

I sat behind the cheer squad for the GF last year.
They are great for getting the crowd to start chants and stuff like that but i felt after the siren like they thought they were the most deserving supporters.
I saw one famous richmond cheer squad member on the sunday at punt rd push through the crowd to get to the front when the team was presented.
I felt like saying "who the f do you think you are?"
I appriciate them but i would never join.

I am, along with my mother. We rarely miss a game unless I have something else on. I missed the PF last year because I had mates at my place for a sleepover that night and my mum got really really super-duper mad because she didn't want to go to game alone so she sat with us in my bedroom as we all watched my Simpsons and Star Wars box sets.

Joined the Crows cheer squad this season.

It's an eclectic mix of people - ranging from kids to the elderly. Yes, there's a few who are a few sandwiches short of a picnic (and cheer squads are great chance for them to head out and mix with others), but the majority are just hardcore fanatics, or see it as a way to invest into the club.

I posted elsewhere that cheer squad do more than build banners. They assist with many club events - for example, the Crows have nights where players will appear at a Toyota dealer, the Supporter Group will provide the bbq for the event (which requires a food prep course in order to do so). They also arrange bus transport for Victorian away matches, and for all finals matches (1-2 buses for minor round matches, right up to 12 they had for the Grand Final last year). They also sponsor a player or two each season.

Also, anyone's who been involved in building a banner will appreciate that it's not as easy as it looks.

They're more than a bunch of nutters with banners and floggers.

If they can do all that surely they can work out a half decent chant other than club name clap clap clap club name clap clap clap

Im not a member but definitely will join. I like to be in the visible supporter base you know.
Btw if anyone knows where to get floggers from pls.:thumbsu::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy:

I have a common assault conviction for pointing and yelling at someone.

To all the moral lefties out there are you suggesting I shouldn't be able to ever be involved in any role with anything ever relating to children?
Have you applied for a Working with children check? You may be surprised and actually qualify even with your conviction.

Why are people who are part of a cheer squad getting a hard time? I think it’s great that clubs have a group of eclectic, passionate supporters who actually light up the game.

I’ve never been in a cheer squad, but I’ve had a few laughs and been thoroughly entertained at games when the squad is in action.

Give them a break. They are what footy is all about. People on here bitch about the AFL losing the common supporter selling out to corporates, well there are things like the banner and cheer squads which keep it ‘our’ game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back