Are You A Cheer Squad Member & Why?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sit on the wing for home games but for away games/finals I tend to sit near the cheersquad so I can be with my own teams fans. They make a bit of noise which I like and it's better then sitting with the mutes that don't even pay attention to the footy.

Jesus there are some negative dickheads on this site, how crap would the atmosphere of games be if they didn't exist?

If it was up to big footy, people would just sit quietly and applaud goals sensibly. I'm not a cheersquad member myself but wouldn't s**t on somebody in a different walk of life doing something that inevitably makes the AFL experience a bit better.
I don't think their token chanting adds much to the atmosphere at all. It's not like they're the Kop at Anfield who genuinely make games awesome to watch with all the chanting.

I watch games from before 2000 and you see the flags, streamers, pom poms etc and it adds some colour and atmosphere to the game, but it's not like that anymore. Have noticed the last few years that thing seems to be less and less. They're basically just like any other fans now sitting behind the goals with a few extra banners.

I'm a member of the cheer squad and before you keyboard warriors start dishing out judgements, I am well educated (have a TAFE degree) and am relatively successful (I earn $57,000 a year)

EDIT: NOT including super
Sunshine Tafe?

No, and I wouldn't be.

Being on a football forum fighting with other people on the Geelong board about whether Jordon Murdoch has some incriminating photos of Chris Scott is bad enough as it is.

I can remember in the 80's Hawthorn having two cheer squads,one behind the goals and one on the flank.
I always assumed that was caused by political infighting that created a breakaway.
I wonder if any Hawthorn supporters know the story with that.
if you google hawthorn rebel cheer squad you will see the full story.

I'm sure many can't comprehend over 50,000 posts on a footy forum either. We are all footy barmy in our own ways.
This is a pretty good point when considering some of the comments on this thread.

It can't be just me but as a rule most of my friends and all of my brothers think I'm a bit of a nuffie because I use this website. I don't mind it but surely here can't rank much higher, if at all to being in a cheer squad.
The cheer squad would get to go on the ground occasionally to hold up the banner but we all post on here and receive nothing. Oh,except for those make believe virtual medals that get awarded lol.
I wonder if the cheer squads sit around putting down BF posters? I'm guessing they wouldn't give us much thought but I'm sure they'd think they're superior as well.

I give you very short odds 99% of them post on here.
Do you think they'd be to busy with making banners,and flags etc. I'd imagine they also have social events.
Point stilll stands though,and I'm not ashamed to admit it,posting on here is a bit odd and most of football people I know agree and certainly look down on us. We are at least the equal of a cheer squad member in the nuffie stakes.

It can't be just me but as a rule most of my friends and all of my brothers think I'm a bit of a nuffie because I use this website. I don't mind it but surely here can't rank much higher, if at all to being in a cheer squad.
Same here but then again these same people would also sit down every week to watch hours of reality TV..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't say I've had many battle of wits with cheersquad members, but still, i think we'll have to agree to disagree here.

That said, there are certainly some mensa candidates on here....but there are different degrees of bigfooty posters
How many cheer squad members do you actually speak to though? The more I think about it we are way beneath the cheer squads.
The only football people below us would probably be talk back callers to the radio.

It tooks me ages to figure out what the Gold Coast cheersquad were yelling out after each goal - eg:

Q "How good's Matera ?
A "He's alright !"

Is this a typical Queenslander thing?, Dead pan & self depreciating ?
I heard this at the Gabba a few weeks ago. I didn't realise what it was.
It was awkwardly embarrassing.
It must be a Queensland thing after all?

I've been a member in the past (not this year though) and I gotta say, it was the best thing for me for the simple reason that I could actually go to the footy and sit with my fellow supporters which is always a good thing given that before that, I always went to games on my own.

It can be quite enjoyable and to those slagging off the cheer squads with the usual BS stereotypes, well, it says a lot about you.

I also find that some CS members are BF posters so really, each to their own.

The too cool for school squad here on Bigfooty.

Shame on people actually going out and supporting their teams and enjoying themselves. Apart from the shithouse view it's actually fun sitting there, sat there a couple of times and loved it every time.

Cheersquads make for great entertainment.

one.jpg

Susan Boyle before Britain's got Talent?

Lol. BF regulars doing what BF regulars do best, acting superior to others over nothing.

Most BF regulars have IQs under 100, weigh over 100 themselves and are basically deranged weirdos who cling to the outer fringes of society while suffering acute personality disorders. ( not that there's anything wrong with that)

efa

Remove this Banner Ad

Back