Are you a REAL Crows supporter?

Remove this Banner Ad

We are all REAL Crows supporters.

That is why many are bleeding right now, because we love our club and we want it to be successful.

Whether or not someone is satisfied with the year does not make them more or less of a REAL Crows supporter.

I am a REAL Crows supporter. Personally, I am hugely disappointed, but I, like many others have tried to look at the positives whilst being mindful of the negatives and I am trying to move on and think about 04.

Others are still concentrating on the negatives and asking what went wrong. This is their right and they are REAL Crows supporters.

Others are completely accepting of our season and believe we have achieved much. This is their right and they are REAL Crows supporters.

To question whether we are REAL Crows supporters because of how we deal with the end of our season is ridiculous.

Originally posted by Jars458
Your judgment is such that your hero is an arrogant duck wit.

Get off our board idiot.

Touchy, touchy.
Just trying to instill a little light heartedness amid the gloom and doom.
I'll p*ss off now. Enjoy the summer.

Well, the main point of my thread was to point out that there were some positives to come out of the season because I was sick of hearing negative comment after negative comment after Friday night.

Ok, the Wizard Cup is worth didly squat, I concede that point. I, would trade 10 Wizard Cups for a Prelim final berth alone, and 20 for a Premiership.

I wasn't accepting mediocrity, just wanted to show that the year wasn't a total waste. We could all sit here and say 'if only' until next March, but that isn't going to change anything.

Sure, I would have loved to seen the club do better (and I expected them to do better, especially after Round 19), but we didn't. We can't change that now. All we can do is work for next year, and hopefully a 2004 premiership.

We could really get some good, young players to blend in with the experienced players. However, I don't think a change in coach is neccessary.

Finally, my comment with Daniel Schell had a bit of a bias with it as I am a Central supporter, and made that comment from my one-eyed Central supporter point of view.

Originally posted by brucetiki

There are also other players people have forgotten about and have been playing some good football in the SANFL, like Daniel Schell.

followed by his signature

I read the story just the other day, about the way you healed a blind man, made him see.

Pity this man wasn't an umpire

Hmmmmm. Perhaps you'd better see that man who can heal blind men yourself!!! :D

I wasn't accepting mediocrity, just wanted to show that the year wasn't a total waste. We could all sit here and say 'if only' until next March, but that isn't going to change anything.

Who's saying 'if only'?

We're all p|ssed off that a glaring opportunity to win a Premiership has been missed these past 2 seasons...

We're not a Western Bulldogs in 1997 and 1998 punching well above our weight... we're not a Sydney Swans aiming to shock even themselves with a top 4 finish...

We are the...

ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB.

We've the most members, we've the best facilities, we've a squad stacked to the brim with All Australians... yet we finished sixth and limped out of the finals in the second week.

If we sit here and pat the players and coaching staff on the head and say "job well done" and let them think that this kind of crap is acceptable they'll continue to collect OUR money without a second thought.

It's bad enough that since 1998 we've let Port Adelaide become top dog in this town - that's unacceptable. We're not feared anymore... look around... we're "just a side".... and it tears me apart.

Where's the fight? Where's the bottle? Where's the respect gone?

Look, I wasn't accepting mediocrity. I'm just saying that we did better this year that 11 other teams!

Having said that, I also don't want to spend the next 10 years in 5th position. We need to do better next year, absolutely. We can do better next year.

I also don't want the club do what St. Kilda did in 1998, or what Norwood do repeatedly in sacking coaches who get teams to finals. St. Kilda finished 6th in 1998 and sacked Stan Alves as a result, and they crashed to the bottom of the ladder, no-one wanted to coach the team, and they are only now recovering from that. Norwood have freqiently sacked coaches even though they have made the finals, and have hired coaches based purely on emotion (like Macintosh). Now look at them, 6th in a 9 team competition, only able to draw with bottom placed North, and thumped by 75 points against South! Sacking the coach is NOT the answer to everyone's prayers. What if we win the flag next year, would you want to sack him them? If we don't win the flag next year and we miss the finals, then it could be time for a new coach!

I'm just saying that we did better this year that 11 other teams!
And thats supposed to make us feel good??????:confused:

We need to do better next year, absolutely. We can do better next year.
Realistically, I don't think we can. We have lost Bickley and might lose Nigel. Thats 600 games of AFL experience. Players that would come in to fill for those 2 are too inexperienced. Personally, I don't see us making the top 4 in 2004.:(

What if we win the flag next year, would you want to sack him them?

See that's the problem, no one can see that happening with our current coaching structure. I'll happily be proven wrong and we'll get the chance to see next season because Ayresy ain't going anywhere.

I just fear that we'll neither, a) miss out completely on finals or b) win a premiership.

What if we win the flag next year, would you want to sack him them?
We'll honour the remaining year of his contract, but we won't win a flag under Ayres. That's what I've come to realise.

Look at the list of premiership coaches in recent times... Matthews, Sheedy, Pagan, Blight, Parkin, Malthouse.

Not really in the same league, is he?

Originally posted by DaveW
We'll honour the remaining year of his contract, but we won't win a flag under Ayres. That's what I've come to realise.

Look at the list of premiership coaches in recent times... Matthews, Sheedy, Pagan, Blight, Parkin, Malthouse.

Not really in the same league, is he?

Hell, they are big names when you look at it.

Nope, our Gazza is not in that league.

But if and when he is replaced at the end of 2004, what is the name of the replacement??

Originally posted by macca23
But if and when he is replaced at the end of 2004, what is the name of the replacement??
It might be worth going for a brand new AFL coach - the likes of Sydney, Fremantle and West Coast aren't doing too badly with their new coaches - rather than recycling a Wallace/Eade type.

Neil Craig is the obvious choice - although I haven't heard all good things about him on these boards. :(

Hopefully 2005 will be the beginning of said new coach establishing a name for himself. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what is the name of the replacement??
With our luck Mark Mickan!:(

Seriously, I reckon Craig is the obvious choice. At least the man has great scientific/imaginative brain and is good at developing youngsters. He is also not stubborn and is smart enough to make a move when a player is getting trashed by his opponent.

Re: Re: Are you a REAL Crows supporter?

Originally posted by Stiffy_18
See this is what really gets up my nose. Our supposrters accept mediocrity.
Stiffy, you, Ant and DaveW would be welcome down at Queen St anytime you feel like donning the black white and teal (just jokin ;)).

This is EXACTLY the right attitude. You can not accept mediocrity, and every single individual associated with the club must strive their utmost to achieve a premiership. Anything less is unacceptable.

Anyone who has recovered enough from last weekend, please re-read Fos Williams' creed here. It is relevant to your club as well.

Re: Re: Re: Are you a REAL Crows supporter?

Originally posted by Pred
Stiffy, you, Ant and DaveW would be welcome down at Queen St anytime you feel like donning the black white and teal (just jokin ;)).
Damn Pred you left me out of your list. What a pity, guess I'll have to continue supporting the Crows... ;) :p

Originally posted by DaveW
At the after match function on Friday night, I recall Burton saying something along the lines of: (I won't put it in quotes, since its off the top of my head)

we had a pretty good season, up to round 20 all our losses had been close

Well that's great Bridman. But good teams don't lose so many close games.
There might be a bit too much of the Woodville/West-Torrens attitude down at Footy Park these days.

Re: Re: Re: Are you a REAL Crows supporter?

Originally posted by Pred
I like DaveW will be declining that invitation.;)

I think you might have better chance with ant and dyertribe :(

Those 2 are really starting to worry me :(

Peter Jonas.

Look at his record since 1997

1. Part of the AFC coaching staff in 97 when we won the flag.
2. Took his AFC experience to Central Districts and helped us win our first flag in 2000.
3. The Premiership Coach was then called on by Malcolm Blight to assist him at St Kilda.
4. Current Assistiant Coach at the Sydney Swans.

Look at how well the Swans are playing this year - their coach has been voted Coach of the Year. Jonas has taken what he has learned here in SA and gained some more knowledge from Roos.

I wouldnt mind seeing us with the Swans game plan. I'd love to see us play finals footy they way they did against Port.

That's a fair record in my book. Other than the Saints situation, he's had a fair bit of success as a coach.

Oh and he's a South Aussie for those of who believe that only a South Australian can coach the Crows to success.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Are you a REAL Crows supporter?

Originally posted by Stiffy_18
I like DaveW will be declining that invitation.;)

I think you might have better chance with ant and dyertribe :(

Those 2 are really starting to worry me :(
Don't get me wrong, we don't really want you :p

Just commending your attitude, really ;)

Great choice

Originally posted by Jerome
Peter Jonas.

Look at his record since 1997

1. Part of the AFC coaching staff in 97 when we won the flag.
2. Took his AFC experience to Central Districts and helped us win our first flag in 2000.
3. The Premiership Coach was then called on by Malcolm Blight to assist him at St Kilda.
4. Current Assistiant Coach at the Sydney Swans.

Look at how well the Swans are playing this year - their coach has been voted Coach of the Year. Jonas has taken what he has learned here in SA and gained some more knowledge from Roos.

I wouldnt mind seeing us with the Swans game plan. I'd love to see us play finals footy they way they did against Port.

That's a fair record in my book. Other than the Saints situation, he's had a fair bit of success as a coach.

Oh and he's a South Aussie for those of who believe that only a South Australian can coach the Crows to success.

If we were to replace Gary Ayres in 2005, Jonas would be a great coach.

I remember the controversy when Centrals re-signed him at the end of the 1999 season when Centrals missed the finals for the first time in several years, yet he silenced his critics (including myself) by taking the Dogs to the 2000 flag and putting them in the position they're in today.

My point here is that the coach isn't responsible for everything. Sacking the coach isn't the answer to all our prayers, as was seen with Jonas in 1999-2000. I wanted Jonas sacked after 1999, and was amazed that his contract was extended, but I then saw the reasons why his contract was extended! If it wasn't for what happened at Centrals in 1999, then I, too, would probably be questioning Gary Ayres position more. But I have learnt my lesson, so I'm being more supportive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back