Social Science Are you an 'anorak' for anything?

Remove this Banner Ad

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Do you have a disproportionate knowledge of something small, specific, or niche? Not just a hobby – so not reading, watching the footy, learning guitar – but a borderline obsession for something quirky? Are you a weirdo?

Trainspotters are the main ones and the genesis for the term. I don't really get the interest in standing by a rail track and noting the numbers on a freight train. But I do like trains in general. Lately, I've noted a few Transperth carriages have USB chargers now. The platforms at The Esplanade, South Beach were all removed lately too down past the Freo Railway Station... I started getting this weird want to have these stations reinstated: imagining people going down the beach, getting off at Little Creature's, even how often it would run, how ticketing would work, how much it would cost... in the end I've found plenty of hours poured into railpage and this youtube series, where some dorky know-it-all who patronises his friends while going to the least visited train station in the UK, guiding you through the Glasgow underground system, noting what Underground station is least used...

Probably an actual one for me are stadiums and sports merch, as well as a few bands.

I love old 90s soccer shirts and could spend hours going through warehouses and shops just checking out how a Pony strip used to fit, how a collar sits in certain eras, materials, s**t like that.

Love things like mythical lost songs from bands, again, could and have spent hours on websites hypothesising how a 2005 Blur album would have sounded and why they cancelled a stand-alone gig the night before.

But stadiums are the big one for me. Probably obvious, but it's a relic of youth. Everyone remembers going to the footy with their dad and the routine, ritual you'd have. But I remember being about 13 and spending some Freo shellacking imagining how a redevelopment would look for Subi, how things would sit, where you could add seats, where you'd have to change things.

But I love old grounds. When I first moved to Melbourne, I went to every old ground. Tripped down to Moorabbin back when the old stands were up, kicked the footy on pingers at Vic Park, had plenty of lunches at Glenferrie Oval, and for a few years my favourite sunny-arvo thing to do was kicking the footy over a six pack at Optus Oval.

It's not just the 'imagine all the stories,' it's the weird s**t. There are some old turnstiles sitting in this nice park just down from East Fremantle Oval, thought that was cool. The old painted signs for Fosters at Vic Park. I'd love to go to the UK and Europe and check out these old decaying relics, half-smashed fridges and broken down sinks and redundant ticket price listings.

Any train set fans or anything like that? Do you sit in the fields near Tullamarine watching planes take off and land?

Cricket books but you all knew that anyhow. I have over 700 including over 100 signed and limited editions, a complete run of ABC cricket books, as well as another 50 odd other tour guides, Wisden 1944 to present day as well as another dozen prior to that, I spend hours online and in second hand shops scouring for them. I'm very nerdy about them and don't much like people touching them.

My music library is unusually skewed toward 'obscure songs from obscure 80s movies'.

Also, knives from movies.

70s Holden's are another one, however I don't think that is that uncommon.

i have a massive knowledge for Life itself,and great wells of wisdom for Life itself....but i know fck all about anything in life. If that makes any sense?
So you suffer from delusions of grandeur GG?

As for me I'm fascinated with the female body and would like to expand my knowledge even further.

As a kid in the 90s, anything to do with badgers, Neptune, the kings of Judah & Israel, holding your breath underwater, etc. Those felt fairly consistent throughout my childhood, whereas other things came and went or weren't as uncommon or voluntary.

Not so much as an adult, or with the internet at our fingertips. Autechre and Ridley Scott have steadily grown into desert island obsessions of mine. There was a period several years back when I was obsessed with Deng Xiaoping, but such phases come and go (and come again), whereas Autechre and Ridley Scott are examples of things that feel more persistently all-consuming to me. If those two things vanished from existence, who I am today might also cease to exist.

Last edited:
Bibliophile here but I collect specifically old religious books, bibles, Qurans, Buddhist text etc and old war. I can sometimes find really interesting handwritten notes or private letters scattered through the pages. One on the Korean War I found went to the National Library to be held in trust. The soldier who owned it had all his details inside the cover and original scribblings on nearly every page. He was there.

And art, nudes I don't make obvious by hanging in the loungeroom. It's not that weird but I gave someone in the family an original Hazel Dooney of her in a nude lesbian embrace and everybody looked a bit nervous.

I'm a Russophile. I love anything Russian. I have a large collection of Russian literature, music, movies and artefacts.

It's not so much like 'quirky trivia' or 'what would your trivia category' be. It's basically uptight, serious obsession with something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My brother and I used to have an obsession for collecting beer bottles around the neighborhood back in the late 60s early 70s, cash them in and buy bubble gum with it.

Even had a few fights with other kids in the area we accused of stealing ours, it was hard core.

Do you use one at all?

I vaguely remember that you were attempting to write a book at one stage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own 2, one mechanical one electric. I like using the mechanical one but it gets a bit tiresome to use for long stretches as you have to punch the keys much harder than you would a regular laptop keyboard.

I wrote a kid's book, even sent it off to a bunch of lit agents during the summer. Received 2 form rejection letters, and nothing from anyone else. Currently working on my second!

Probably the complete opposite. I’m very scatterbrained and just have lots of minor interests, and only a few major ones.

I’d say SuperCoach is probably the most specific thing I spend hours thinking over and having beyond a rational interest in. As much as I love Carlton, I can easily avoid the Carlton board for weeks and it’s either a feast or a famine in terms of how much I post.

One of the best things about Bigfooty, and Reddit, and other large forums is how many different topics (especially unrelated to football) you can pour over, and I’d say I’m partly product of that.

The platforms at The Esplanade, South Beach were all removed lately too down past the Freo Railway Station... I started getting this weird want to have these stations reinstated: imagining people going down the beach, getting off at Little Creature's, even how often it would run, how ticketing would work, how much it would cost...

This is a real shame. I hoped they'd one day reopen it and extend it down to Coogee where the new development is. Could even extend the South Freo line inland to Murdoch or Cockburn. I hope they don't go and dig up the existing rail line.

This is a real shame. I hoped they'd one day reopen it and extend it down to Coogee where the new development is. Could even extend the South Freo line inland to Murdoch or Cockburn. I hope they don't go and dig up the existing rail line.
The rail line is still serviced by freight. It was never electrified and I think it's just single way (?) so you couldn't have run passenger trains on it anyway. But yeah I'm sure they could have done half hourly services or something, apparently the line used to go into Spearwood. Probs don't need all that. But North Coogee is a busy area now with the tight developments all packed in there. Would have been a nice vibe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back