Are you feeling positive or negative about the 2019 Finals?

How will our finals campaign go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
My predictions.
Best Finals Player : Dangerfield
Biggest lift in performance from regular season : Luke Dahl
Worst Finals player : C Guthrie
Biggest drop in performance : Kelly

I have a bad feeling Kelly is going to have a poor finals series too.

Mr Meow

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Last time we were this certain about a final in advance was the Sydney final in 2017. We ended up smashing them. Not saying that will happen against (likely) Richmond, but nothing is certain.
Exactly. There is always hope while no teams are great. A bang average team can catch fire and/or get lucky. The privilege of a top 2 position, even if it means playing Richmond at the G, should be seen for the great opportunity it is. If they fail, so be it. Great to have another shot.

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
I dont know how it can be negative ( even though with the team theve got - they could easily lose both finals )

But what is the alternative - not make the finals - and i can remember the last time that happened - it was Steve Johnsons last year - and in the final dead rubber game of the year - he kicked that left footed torp - that was about the last thing to get a bit excited about - because Sept was as boring as hell with the side your supporting not involved in the finals

Mr Meow

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I dont know how it can be negative ( even though with the team theve got - they could easily lose both finals )

But what is the alternative - not make the finals - and i can remember the last time that happened - it was Steve Johnsons last year - and in the final dead rubber game of the year - he kicked that left footed torp - that was about the last thing to get a bit excited about - because Sept was as boring as hell with the side your supporting not involved in the finals
So true. A lot of people are acting as if they regret Geelong's current position, an unwanted burden given past finals failures. That's just a loser's attitude plain and simple. Last year we scraped into finals but were never contenders so it felt a bit hollow. This year we are a real chance. Just as big a chance to go out in straight sets as win the thing, but opportunity is an exciting thing.

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
So true. A lot of people are acting as if they regret Geelong's current position, an unwanted burden given past finals failures. That's just a loser's attitude plain and simple. Last year we scraped into finals but were never contenders so it felt a bit hollow. This year we are a real chance. Just as big a chance to go out in straight sets as win the thing, but opportunity is an exciting thing.

Yep - as i posted earlier in the week- Hawthorn have lost their past 4 finals - yet id imagine all their supporters are clinging onto the miracle- tiny chance they could still squeeze in their this year - even if it means or results in 5 straight final losses

Youve got to still have hope - and if you dont make the finals - youve got No Hope

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
The lids off... HECK YEAH... Rohan's back in, and gonna bang more goals than... won't say

Okay, too much booze, lol...

One thing I'll say is that we're not zero chance.

An unsettled ruck situation, game style that is not seen to stack up against a Richmond style run and gun, a shaky end to the season with an unsettled line up, people pointing to a string of wins early in the season as the outlier and not the true reflection of where the side is at, serious questions about whether the side can beat the contenders at the mcg... all of that describes west coast last year.

"Why the Eagles can’t win the flag: If they drop the first final to Collingwood, it means they’ll have no home ground advantage in the preliminary final. And even if they do make the Grand Final, questions still remain over the Eagles’ capacity to win at the MCG. The Eagles also haven’t had a settled line-up during the back end of the home and away season, with injuries to several key players, including Kennedy. And perhaps the biggest concern is the absence of superstar ruckman Nic Naitanui due to injury — can they genuinely win the premiership without him?"

That said I'm still using some pessimism as a form of emotional safeguard

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I still think any of the top four are about as equally likely as the others, and wouldn't rule out whichever team finishes fifth or the Doggos from being damaging at a minimum.

I'm feeling pretty positive about my at times controversial tip of no SA teams in the finals, though.

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Best Finals Player : stewart
Biggest lift in performance from regular season : guthrie
Worst Finals player : henderson
Biggest drop in performance : dangerfield

The optimistic part of me believes we've been playing conservatively ever since we booked ourselves a finals berth about six weeks ago, and have been using the last month to experiment with a few things (Blitz as number 1 ruck, Tuohy in the forward line, Atkins and Narkle in the guts etc).

We showed glimpses of our best form last week before the balmy conditions sapped us and we were cramping left, right and centre which allowed Brisbane to overrun us. Got a feeling we'll put Carlton to the sword this week, and even then the pundits and Hawks and Tiger trolls will put it down to the venue instead of a return to form.

Hope we play Richmond in the first week of the finals, as if they believe they'll be facing the Geelong of the last 6 weeks, I've got the feeling they'll be sorely mistaken.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Hope we play Richmond in the first week of the finals, as if they believe they'll be facing the Geelong of the last 6 weeks, I've got the feeling they'll be sorely mistaken
Hopefully whoever we play first week of finals gets a rude shock and we stamp ourselves, but so do 7 other teams.

I do think that this finals series is shaping up to be one of the better ones with 6 (Arguably 7) teams capable of winning it IF things go their way.

bigfarter

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't know how any (genuine) Geelong supporter could feel NEGATIVE about the 2019 Finals. I think the appropriate terms would be "Confident" or "Wary". I'm not as confident as I was pre-bye where we looked fresh and settled and hungry but I am certainly still positive about the finals and will go into each game hopeful, just as I do every week. People can point to our recent finals record being poor (which is true) but I take footy as entertainment and for the best part of 15 years now, Geelong have won FAR more often than lost and provided me with heaps of entertainment. Finals just ups the ante, meaning I'll either be more thrilled or more (momentarily) upset. Bring it on.

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't know how any (genuine) Geelong supporter could feel NEGATIVE about the 2019 Finals. I think the appropriate terms would be "Confident" or "Wary". I'm not as confident as I was pre-bye where we looked fresh and settled and hungry but I am certainly still positive about the finals and will go into each game hopeful, just as I do every week. People can point to our recent finals record being poor (which is true) but I take footy as entertainment and for the best part of 15 years now, Geelong have won FAR more often than lost and provided me with heaps of entertainment. Finals just ups the ante, meaning I'll either be more thrilled or more (momentarily) upset. Bring it on.

Great post - you still get a bit of a buz from the week to week wins - and thats been plentiful for over a decade

TomsBulgingDisc

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2013
Lumbar
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm hoping that Carlton play the GF against us today and really apply pressure across the whole of feild, for the whole of time. That will give some indication of how we will hold up come finals. If we crumble against a bottom 8 side (which I suspect we might) then that shows there's been no improvement in our ability to absorb pressure.
You can tinker with game plan and managing players all you like, if we can't perform under pressure, it's going to be an early end to the year.
Absorbing pressure is a psychological skill as much as a physical one. I've not seen much in the last 5 years that shows we have that ability when it counts.

If the 22 of Geelong play with the intesity of Kamdyn Macintosh from the Tigers, we will cause people problems deep into September.

This bloke is lmited as a player, not great skills or fitness per se.

But he does one thing that gets him a game each week.

Puts his head over it and plays every possession like its his last and is hard as every single time. If our 22 do that - it might not win us every game over the next 6 weeks but it will put us deep into them.

A certain GFC player that has some legend here did the same but I didn't want to go there so I looked outside the 4 walls of KP.

We do that, and we're up to our necks in it. We piss fart around the outside of contests looking for teamates to get it out for us... it wont end well.

If the exasperation of HT after the Lions loss still echoes and resonates with his 21 teammates - we have a good shot. If it's isolated to a few... we are in real Barney.

GO Catters

God Mode

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2011
Mount Olympus
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bulls
If the 22 of Geelong play with the intesity of Kamdyn Macintosh from the Tigers, we will cause people problems deep into September.

This bloke is lmited as a player, not great skills or fitness per se.

But he does one thing that gets him a game each week.

Puts his head over it and plays every possession like its his last and is hard as every single time. If our 22 do that - it might not win us every game over the next 6 weeks but it will put us deep into them.

A certain GFC player that has some legend here did the same but I didn't want to go there so I looked outside the 4 walls of KP.

We do that, and we're up to our necks in it. We piss fart around the outside of contests looking for teamates to get it out for us... it wont end well.

If the exasperation of HT after the Lions loss still echoes and resonates with his 21 teammates - we have a good shot. If it's isolated to a few... we are in real Barney.

GO Catters
100% this. Forget about our deficiencies. Every contender this year has them. If every player at the Cats plays every possession in the next 4 games like it's the last they'll ever play, we'll go deep.

Back