Are you feeling positive or negative about the 2019 Finals?

How will our finals campaign go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We have the talent on the list to win the flag, but I question the mental toughness of the side. I think now it looks like we'll face Collingwood in the QF, if the team can overcome their bye issue (for once) they could beat them. But most likely will falter at the prelim.

We have the talent on the list to win the flag, but I question the mental toughness of the side. I think now it looks like we'll face Collingwood in the QF, if the team can overcome their bye issue (for once) they could beat them. But most likely will falter at the prelim.
Me too, better but not bullish. I think they are mentally fragile in the big ones. However if 3 or so of our big guns fire, we can give it a real shake.

Im feeling more positive then last 3 years, just need to deliver the ball bit better to the forward line

Bloody Hawthorn... I cant stand them
I surprised myself last week. With all the Hawthorn Champs retiring I just couldn't bring myself to watch any of their interviews, games, or whatever. My hatred of Hawthorn still burns deep.

Completely agree. I remember saying 'good on him' when Roughy was kicking goals last week. My mind was saying 'blah blah blah' though with all the carry on after the game.
Its the jumper. Makes it hard to reconcile that he is a 4 time premiership champion with a long list of other accolades. I just do not like Hawthorn. I respect them. Thats it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finals draw has played out quite nicely with Eagles choking hard unexpectedly.

Should make prelim minimum now.

If we swing a home prelim against Lions should make GF.

We've gone from potentially QF v Richmond, Semi v Pies, Away prelim to Eagles

To

QF v Pies, PF v Lions
Richmond vs Geelong grand final?

I just can't bring myself to feel almost a scrap of positivity about finals - which kills me because I've loved this team all my life and I love seeing them do well.
I've just been burned every year after 2011, and this year has particularly annoyed me, because for the first time in a long while, we started to look like a team who was assembling the required components of a Premiership team:

- A genuine will for the contest (Rohan, Miers, Dahl etc)
- A working midfield unit (Kelly, Stanley, GAJ, Danger)
- A functional forwardline (Hawk, Miers, Rohan etc)

And now the will for the contest is lapsing (people are saying 'heavy training load' - not sure I buy it. The team doesn't look as tenacious as they did at the start of the year)
The midfield unit is down (Stanley's confidence shot, Kelly not lighting it on fire like he was before)
The forwardline isn't functioning (Hawkins down on form, the forward pressure isn't working anymore because the midfield delivery isn't as good)
And, like every single damn year since 2011, the Bye just continues to completely bend us over and our smug coach goes on 360 and runs the same tired s**t he always does - "Data can be deceiving / we don't really look at the past for future predictions / It's not something we really acknowledge within the club."
Really? Well start acknowledging it. When we beat Hawthorn 11 times in a row, their coach was honest about it and owned up to the reality as it presented itself. And you can bet your life he put it on the players to shape up and own the situation. There comes a point when reality needs to be addressed and ownership needs to be taken. And I'm just not sure how much ownership this current team is willing to take.

Like I've said, I love Geelong and I really hope they prove me wrong.
Excellent post - agree with all of it :thumbsu::thumbsu:

I surprised myself last week. With all the Hawthorn Champs retiring I just couldn't bring myself to watch any of their interviews, games, or whatever. My hatred of Hawthorn still burns deep.
I walked past Roughy in Camberwell last weekend. I nearly hit him.

Nearly.

Then I couldn't have reached him anyway.

Has there ever been a minor premier who's fan-base is so pessimistic about their finals chances. It's understandable current form combined with past finals form is engrained in our heads. Oh how far we have fallen, I remember back in 2012 where despite losing many of our stars from 2011 and falling down the ladder everyone feared running into us in the finals, there was talk that we would be the first team to win a flag from outside the top 4 under the new finals system, and then we lost to Freo at the G in the elimination final. Fast forward to today and I can't help but notice opposition fans were all wishing they would get us first final.

Personally I'm optimistic, seeing how Brisbane did take it to Richmond today and yet we only lost to them up there by a point indicates we aren't far off the mark, then flogging a resurgent blues is the best result we could have wished for from that game. I know the heavy training load excuse is a bit of a running joke but I like to hope it has some truth to it this year, I can't recall us being in a stronger position in the last 10 years to be able to add some heavy training to the midweek routine seeing as though we were about 3 games secured on top and 4 games in the top 2.

Finals draw has played out quite nicely with Eagles choking hard unexpectedly.

Should make prelim minimum now.

If we swing a home prelim against Lions should make GF.

We've gone from potentially QF v Richmond, Semi v Pies, Away prelim to Eagles

To

QF v Pies, PF v Lions to make GF
Really is a great opportunity

As I said earlier it’s go time!

Has there ever been a minor premier who's fan-base is so pessimistic about their finals chances. It's understandable current form combined with past finals form is engrained in our heads. Oh how far we have fallen, I remember back in 2012 where despite losing many of our stars from 2011 and falling down the ladder everyone feared running into us in the finals, there was talk that we would be the first team to win a flag from outside the top 4 under the new finals system, and then we lost to Freo at the G in the elimination final. Fast forward to today and I can't help but notice opposition fans were all wishing they would get us first final.

Personally I'm optimistic, seeing how Brisbane did take it to Richmond today and yet we only lost to them up there by a point indicates we aren't far off the mark, then flogging a resurgent blues is the best result we could have wished for from that game. I know the heavy training load excuse is a bit of a running joke but I like to hope it has some truth to it this year, I can't recall us being in a stronger position in the last 10 years to be able to add some heavy training to the midweek routine seeing as though we were about 3 games secured on top and 4 games in the top 2.

Yea we haven't been stellar the second half of the year but there aren't enough other teams in great form for me to say we will go out straight sets. In fact the 3 that could knock us over bang, bang are all on the other side of the system (Tigers, Lions and Dogs and we can lift and beat them anyhow).

Back