Opinion Are you for or against the club playing in LA?

For or against the club playing in LA?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

SEN Melb. Radio T. Watson & G. Lyon program 5.3

Watson posed this question to Lyon, after discussing the GWS home game in LA or San Francisco

" What if a couple of really well heeled businessmen came to GWS and said 'we want to buy the club, we want to have private ownership' of GWS. Do you think the AFL will entertain this?"

( then click on "SEN Breakfast Full Show 5.3.20". Then scroll to 1 hour 46 minutes 4 seconds - 1 hr 47 mins 40 seconds)

EDIT:

Watson neither claimed, nor implied, he had direct information about a possible takeover attempt.

Last edited:

Watson posed this question to Lyon, after discussing the GWS home game in LA or San Francisco

" What if a couple of really well heeled businessmen came to GWS and said they wanted to buy the club...private ownership of GWS. Do you think the AFL will entertain this?"
Watson implied he had no direct information about this being a possibility.

( then click on "SEN Breakfast Full Show 5.3.20". Then scroll to 1 hour 46 minutes 4 seconds - 1 hr 47 mins 40 seconds)

Considering how well private ownership has worked in the past and how much funding is needed I would say no.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

" What if a couple of really well heeled businessmen came to GWS and said 'we want to buy the club, we want to have private ownership' of GWS. Do you think the AFL will entertain this?"

EDIT:

Watson neither claimed, nor implied, he had direct information about a possible takeover attempt.

Crazy, just puts members off - private ownership.

I'm for it.
Quoting from yesterday's Age
"GWS' interest in the match has been enhanced by the club's two wealthy, Californian-based backers, who have contributed significant funds to the club after visiting Australia and becoming interested in AFL."

Do we know much about these guys?

I'm for it.
"GWS' interest in the match has been enhanced by the club's two wealthy, Californian-based backers, who have contributed significant funds to the club after visiting Australia and becoming interested in AFL."

I don't like where this whole thing seems to be heading...

I don't like where this whole thing seems to be heading...
It’s a bad look.

C'mon chaps, keep an open mind.
We all know that Dave Matthews is an alpha wheeler n dealer, (in fact, I think he's a better successor to Gillon McLaughlin than Benny Gale, who all the Vics are hard for).
Matthews has hardly put a foot wrong (well the tiff with Wayne Campbell was never explained properly), so for now, if Matthews can see a future that includes big money California, it'll only make the Giants more secure and less reliant on head office handouts.

C'mon chaps, keep an open mind.
We all know that Dave Matthews is an alpha wheeler n dealer, (in fact, I think he's a better successor to Gillon McLaughlin than Benny Gale, who all the Vics are hard for).
Matthews has hardly put a foot wrong (well the tiff with Wayne Campbell was never explained properly), so for now, if Matthews can see a future that includes big money California, it'll only make the Giants more secure and less reliant on head office handouts.

Except it gives ammunition to those who doubt is being in Western Sydney and those who may be thinking about having a look might now not do so.

7 home games ffs

Look guys. If it gets me to LA can we just be happy about it...please. for goodness sake. Think about my Frequent flyer points

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Given all the claims about the AFL/club flying us all down to the GF and giving us free merch, surely they can do the same for us for the LA game.

I am in the Against camp.
It seems to fly in the face of 10 years of steady and natural growth of our club. That was achieved by hard work.
I can accept there are things in play that I have no knowledge of, but it had better be something bloody amazing to cost us a home game. 7 home games a season...that would be so sh*t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

. 7 home games a season...that would be so sh*t.

Consider yourself lucky. I'm in CBR and get 3 home games a year. Happily travel up the Hume whenever I can to flesh out the season.
And you can always see the boys play at the SCG, so you're getting 8 hometown games a year.

I'm for it.

They were major contributors to the pool that bought us the stadium name rights

Back