Are you less excited about this year's GF?

Rate your grand final excitement level

• Same as usual

Votes: 41 15.0%
  • Less than usual

Votes: 186 68.1%
  • More than usual

Votes: 46 16.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's very hard to get excited!

I don't think their is a worst sporting spectacle in the world then modern AFL when effected by rain.

The only people looking forward to todays match are the defenders and the viewer who has a hard on for all things "defensive actions".

its 2020 and i live in australia and literally cannot watch the game.

i'd argue more people have internet access than reliable FTA signal. most people under 40 have ditched FTA tv due to it being complete garbage. people in regional areas often can't get TV signal on all channels. if you've built a house recently you wouldn't even bother with an aerial on it.

why are these dinosaurs stuck in the past?

its 2020 and i live in australia and literally cannot watch the game.

i'd argue more people have internet access than reliable FTA signal. most people under 40 have ditched FTA tv due to it being complete garbage. people in regional areas often can't get TV signal on all channels. if you've built a house recently you wouldn't even bother with an aerial on it.

why are these dinosaurs stuck in the past?
Where are you dude? Pm me if you dont wanna post

Yep, Grand Finals are generally over-rated. Great if your side is playing (even better if they're winning), but I've seen too many of them now that just fizzled out. Who knows, maybe this could be the greatest of them all, but I never allow my expectations to rise too high.

Think we've been pretty spoilt in the 2000s actually.

2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2016, 2018 were all either close or close enough and entertaining. The 90s were a bad decade for entertaining gfs.

Anyone else tired of the media continuously proclaiming how this will be the 'greatest' grand final win ever, or it's the 'toughest' because of the disruption of covid? Especially for Victorian teams? I mean yeah, it's been difficult for us all, not just footy players, but I don't see how it's any harder than any other season. It's a worthy premiership for whoever wins it, same as any other, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Anyone else tired of the media continuously proclaiming how this will be the 'greatest' grand final win ever, or it's the 'toughest' because of the disruption of covid? Especially for Victorian teams? I mean yeah, it's been difficult for us all, not just footy players, but I don't see how it's any harder than any other season. It's a worthy premiership for whoever wins it, same as any other, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
No other premier has been away from home for 100+ days...
I have full respect for the interstate sides that fly every second week but I know what I'd rather be doing

If you're not interested in other people's opinions then don't read them. A simple approach for a simple person like yourself.

The AFL chose this night thing for whatever reasons. Clearly tradition means nothing, except when signing 40 year contracts to play at the MCG.

The afternoon 'tradition' of many thousands of real footy people doesn't matter. Once again they show the real fans don't matter to the AFL

The real footy fans don’t worry about tradition...they worry about the game. Hell if it was played in South Africa at 3am in the morning I would still be excited. Humans are intrinsically scared of change and fear the unknown, who knows once you actually give it a go you may like it.

Can't even watch the Grand Final today as I will be in bed (have to get up at midnight to go to work). I am not hugely upset at missing the game though as Geelong and Richmond is not exactly an exciting Grand Final for me.

Take out the teams as a factor, does the fact the Grand Final is at night at the GABBA make it a bit less exciting for you? Anyone more excited than usual, because of the novelty? Or the same?

Tbh to me I do feel the lack of buildup, smaller crowd, being ar night, shorter games make it less of a spectacle to me. Should still be interesting and I'll watch with interest even if I don't care about the result. Would've cared more if Brisbane got in.
Grand Final week in Melbourne , is unlike anything else. The game is in normal time, the place is alive, yes there is no way known that this year matches up to any other year. The Gabba is fine but the feeling is quite dull, and the reason for the situation is a nonsense, virus or not, a shorter game???
Seriously, but I guess when the virus started no one knew.
I still can't understand the shorter game, if they were out there anyway, might have slowed things up a bit if the games even though played more often were the normal time frame? And a slower more skilful game may have developed?

The real footy fans don’t worry about tradition...they worry about the game. Hell if it was played in South Africa at 3am in the morning I would still be excited. Humans are intrinsically scared of change and fear the unknown, who knows once you actually give it a go you may like it.
Giving this horrendously changed game over the last 15 years forget COVID, the tradition was being lost the real game of football is disappearing, so change, what ? Is your name Steve Hocking????????????????????????????????????

I can't watch it with my mates.. and for some stupid reason they put it at night. I hope to god it's a one and done thing because I never want to see it happen again. It'll be a great game regardless but seriously it should be played during the day.
NON Melbourne people simply do not understand!

Giving this horrendously changed game over the last 15 years forget COVID, the tradition was being lost the real game of football is disappearing, so change, what ? Is your name Steve Hocking????????????????????????????????????
Sure I get the dislike for changing the fabric of the game. Rules etc... some of these have been for the better most for the worse...

don’t confuse the game with the time slot though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grand Final week in Melbourne , is unlike anything else. The game is in normal time, the place is alive, yes there is no way known that this year matches up to any other year. The Gabba is fine but the feeling is quite dull, and the reason for the situation is a nonsense, virus or not, a shorter game???
I still can't understand the shorter game, if they were out there anyway, might have slowed things up a bit if the games even though played more often were the normal time frame? And a slower more skilful game may have developed?

We Melbournians have been spoilt over the years when it comes to the GF etc....having the GF today up at the Gabba is exciting for those footy fans in Brissy, but down here in Melbourne it feels really empty, devoid of any real excitement...

...and that is how it feels every year for footy fans right around Australia when the GF is here at the MCG. They have to sit and watch the build up to the game on their tv's.......like we are doing today.

That is what I have liked about this footy year, it has opened many eyes to how things are for interstate teams and fans.

Doesn't feel anything like grand final day unfortunately.

Usually buy the record, the newspapers, plan a huge party etc. Pretty much forgot about all of those things.

As much as I don't care about either team it is a little disappointing that Dusty vs Danger isn't taking place at the MCG in front of 100 000 people at 2:30 in the afternoon.

Yes,

But I dont know whether it's due to

1) Being a night grand final
or
2) Being between the 2nd and 3rd worst case scenarios. (Thankfully Richmond knocked out the worst case scenario last week)

Am more keen than 2013/15/18 though............And no, I dont have anything against West Australia. I just happened to work through all 3 games.

For those vehemently against a night grand final, the best thing you can do is simply not watch it.

The worst thing that could have happened has happened. 2 Vic teams in the GF. As Ch7 Malbun and by extention the AFL only care about Vic ratings, the double whammy of 2 Vic teams plus everybody locked up in their homes Covid Town equals bumper ratings. Bumper ratings equal justification to do it again.

Even with the corrupt MCG Deal, what Victorians have known about "their" Grand Final may be gone forever.

Yeah makes no sense. Yeah players will be in super close proximity yet making the game 80% shorter might prevent a spread in case any player was somehow mistested?

For those vehemently against a night grand final, the best thing you can do is simply not watch it.

The worst thing that could have happened has happened. 2 Vic teams in the GF. As Ch7 Malbun and by extention the AFL only care about Vic ratings, the double whammy of 2 Vic teams plus everybody locked up in their homes Covid Town equals bumper ratings. Bumper ratings equal justification to do it again.

Even with the corrupt MCG Deal, what Victorians have known about "their" Grand Final may be gone forever.

Should start a campaign for people to lie to the rating pollsters lol

A bit excited, although not as much as normal. Now the Pies have been eliminated, there has to be an asterisk beside the name of the winner. Lacks legitimacy as a genuine premiership in this heavily compromised season.

Back