Are you less excited about this year's GF?

Rate your grand final excitement level

• Same as usual

Votes: 41 15.0%
  • Less than usual

Votes: 186 68.1%
  • More than usual

Votes: 46 16.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Don Catto

Rookie
Oct 19, 2020
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
The shortened quarters for me is a real downer.

Struggling personally with the way footy keeps changing based on greed from everyone involved in it.

Didn't watch a single H&A game this year, only interested now because my team is in the GF.

emilybrown7

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
If I could have a big bbq with my family and friends like I do each year then it would be no difference to every other year once the game starts on tv. The fact there was no parade or being able to go to a pub last night and be around that footy spirit it hasn’t been as exciting no.

R t james

Debutant
Jul 14, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
It’s a big no for me on the night final , I’m still going to watch as I love my footy and the teams have been going at just as hard as ever , but the day is dragging out , be interested to see who the commentators beat of to more , dusty or danger , what do you think duck or is it just me , love your work Bruce . Hope theres a tropical down pour and that washes away any thoughts of future night gfs

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Night grand final completely ruins the Day and perhaps the week.

I am normally excited on Friday night. This morning I woke up and the game felt ages away. I still have felt no excitment.

Are people going to to be eating their dinner and feeding their kids while the biggest event of the footy year is happening?

There is so much we have lost for just a few extra "eyeballs" (alleged).

Last edited:

Darren Moore

Debutant
Oct 17, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
They're clearly the two best teams this year, should be an interesting match, there will be no asterisk whoever wins they will have deserved it. As legitimate as any other premiership.

But there is no Grand Final buzz and little anticipation.

It feels like a Foster's or Ansett Cup Grand Final when it still meant a little bit in the 90's.

In fact the season has felt a little like an elongated Ansett Cup.

Perfect conditions in Adelaide today and warm and sunny in Perth.

Feb 26, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Been up since 6 so it’s been over 10 hrs wait with 2 more hrs for the game to start. It’s been an incredibly long and boring wait. Please, please AFL no more night GFs. It’s a much more exciting day when the GF starts at 2:30.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Night Grand Final is a total flop for me, the only spectical will be for the lucky people who get to attend..

Our household is bored and sick of waiting...
Grand Final day for us is usually amazing day , full of food, drinking, friends & family, excitement for the game and the day..

Corona Virus doesn't help, but the excitement for the game has vanished, due to the wait and all for what exactly?

Grand finals are all about the build up from the moment you get up and are excited for the special day..

Another thing which I have noticed has drastically reduced over the past 5-10 years, because of the politically correctness culture, is the parties in most houses, when I was a kid the majority of houses and business would decorate the premises with the team they wanted to win. Hardly see it anywhere anymore...

For once I agree with Caro, stick with tradition... Night Grand Final sucks ass

Apr 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
They're clearly the two best teams this year, should be an interesting match, there will be no asterisk whoever wins they will have deserved it. As legitimate as any other premiership.

But there is no Grand Final buzz and little anticipation.

It feels like a Foster's or Ansett Cup Grand Final when it still meant a little bit in the 90's.

In fact the season has felt a little like an elongated Ansett Cup.

Perfect conditions in Adelaide today and warm and sunny in Perth.

There's no asterix. The winner will be the deserved winner

But any Victorian who claims the fact that it's being played at night, which we aren't used to, in a small dump of a ground, which we aren't used to and that we can't watch with our mates, which we certainly aren't used to, won't take away from the experience of Grand Final day is either lying or not a football fan.

Of course it is going to suck in comparison. It is just better than nothing.

Spiritof82

Premiership Player
Jan 8, 2004
S**tny, the cesspit of OZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
The previous two AFLX GFs have been popular with supporters so I can see this one living up to the same standards

1603522737193.png

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
One team will win it and seventeen other sets of supporters will still be envious. Same as every year.

Nahhhh.

So many people Ive spoken to dont know who to go for, arent that interested and some cant even be bothered watching.

And now the heavens have opened up and Brisbane flooding.

So dont expect too many spectacular marks or moments. Hopefully its close but really will anyone be surprised if this becomes the lowest scoring gf ever?

Jun 5, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast
Personally, I'm fine with the night grand final. Went out last night to watch a band. Kids stayed over at grandparents. Slept in until about 9am. Kids got brought home. Took them down the shops to get some supplies for this afternoon/evening. Made lunch and settling into watch some final quarters from previous Grand Finals as my wife has taken them down to the pool. They'll come back soon, we'll make some burgers, get the food on and settle in for hopefully an entertaining game. Kids will go to bed afterward, the wife and I have the rest of the evening to chill and watch a movie.

Perfect day. No rushing. Big tick AFL! :)

Stax on the mill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
For those vehemently against a night grand final, the best thing you can do is simply not watch it.

The worst thing that could have happened has happened. 2 Vic teams in the GF. As Ch7 Malbun and by extention the AFL only care about Vic ratings, the double whammy of 2 Vic teams plus everybody locked up in their homes Covid Town equals bumper ratings. Bumper ratings equal justification to do it again.

Even with the corrupt MCG Deal, what Victorians have known about "their" Grand Final may be gone forever.
Vic bias?

thedank

All Australian
Mar 2, 2019
Meth City
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
West Perth
Shame Perth couldn't get it, couldn't ask for a more beautiful day over here in the west

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Its a different form of excitement than usual. Normally the excitement is for Grand Final day as an event, the pre game with good company, sharing the experience with mates and post game celebrations with thousands is every bit as good as the game.

This year my excitement is purely on potentially seeing my team make history in the most unique premiership you'll ever see, and going up another echelon into a triple premiership era (potentially). Also can Dusty elevate to the greatest finals player and GF player of all time if he wins 3 NS medals? Less about the event of the day, more about the outcome and significance of results this time.

Even if Geelong win, huge significance with some of the stories there.

Back