Are you less excited about this year's GF?

Rate your grand final excitement level

• Same as usual

Votes: 41 15.0%
  • Less than usual

Votes: 186 68.1%
  • More than usual

Votes: 46 16.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

All the people complaining the grand final is less interesting are using reasons other than the grand final. suggests they werent all that into the game to begin with and more into the childish side events for children and/or a socially acceptable reason to start drinking at 1pm with friends. For those latter people I give you zoom drinking parties. Although use teams instead. zoom is a tool for the CCP to spy on you.

so you want the game during the day so you can stay home and watch netflix and drink at night? Cant you just do that during the day?

ps. What exactly do you watch on netflix? Other than cobra kai netflix is sh*t. Amazon prime and stan are way better. I dont think anyway who says they watch netflix actually watches netflix.
Well I used Netflix as a stand-in for streaming services in general rather than listing them all individually...and I wouldn't touch Cobra Kai with someone elses 10' pole. And yep will probably be drinking and gaming during the day also, as I am on Holidays in Melb. during lockdown so I'm living the life...

Definitely less excited. My team is in it and I still can't get into it this week like previous years. No parade, no public training session, no live sites, no bbqs, no pubs, no Swan St, just doesn't feel right :(

Win or lose there won't be any celebrations

Oh, I get that point.

My point is that if it's all one season, then it should be played by the same rules.
When has a season ever been played by the same rules? Or should I say interpretation of the rules?

Finals are always umpired differently to home and away.

Deliberate out of bounds rule changed in between preliminary finals this year.

Holding the ball rule changed about 5 times this season.

They should have made the quarters the normal length for the finals.

Less excited about the two clubs. This is the most meh GF for me since '07 (even '11 had two super rivals). Brisbane in, especially against Port, and my hype would have been through the roof. I'll get to sit back in the rare joy of going in neutral (one of the good things about '11) and not having a nervy soft spot for either club. Can understand Tiges or Cats supporters feeling underwhelmed by the different buildup though.

The Gabba and the Covid-19 challenges of getting to this day are actually the sweetest thing about it for me. If this was a regular season and held at the MCG it would be even more meh. Different vibe about it compared to the Waverley year.

Night game and to some extent shortened quarters is the clear asterisk for traditionalists. Don't mind it being moved away from the MCG, but the move to night and different quarter length is a bit polarising and might ruin the vibe for some. From memory, the NRL and Aus Open navigated this well because in 2001 they had a boilover (Knights 1st half against runaway Eels) and 2005 was the Safin-Hewitt final so more local interest. 2020 AFL will need a similarly memorable occasion to make the night transition acceptable, and like many I pray it is a one-off.

Last edited:
My friends and I have huge gatherings for Grand Final day, biggest day of the year for us.

The two most supported teams in my group are Geelong and Richmond. The gods are cruel to make it a Richmond Geelong grand final and stop us from getting together. Yes sadly all week I have felt disapointment even though Cats are playing, my mood will improve Saturday but I don't feel any excitement which is a shame.

Most Eagles Grand Final weeks have been insanely busy for me so you aren't really able to soak it up until maybe the Friday arvo or day itself. In 2018 I moved house and didn't even think about it midweek as I powered through catching up on work. 2006 I had my Yr12 formal, farewell assembly, after party, etc. and Yr12 exams only weeks away. 2015 wasn't so bad, but still commuting a few hours away during the week.

2005 was an exception as I was lucky enough to have a school-free week and absolutely soaked up my first Eagles GF.

In 2005 I listened to Demon Days all week and in 2015 Blur's 13, so I've learnt that freer weeks listening to Albarn in '.5 years is a curse of sorts to avoid in future. Luckier when you keep more occupied during the week and maybe have a recent GF heartache behind you.

Been meh about this whole season.

I agree with others that the 20min quarters should have been brought back for finals.... War of attrition and all that

I'm actually glad its different in terms of venue and time slot... but Covid really restricted what AFL could do to promote the big game in Brisbane.... no parade, no AFL exhibits near Brisbane CBD for fans to get psyched about this historic occasion, barely any buzz about the game whatsoever... it won't leave much of footprint in QLD when the game is done and dusted.... Just an obscure Grand Final footnote a la the 1991 Waverley GF... Here's hoping the game can salvage something exciting out of this year... Extra time would be nice to make up for the shortened quarters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been meh about this whole season.

I agree with others that the 20min quarters should have been brought back for finals.... War of attrition and all that

I'm actually glad its different in terms of venue and time slot... but Covid really restricted what AFL could do to promote the big game in Brisbane.... no parade, no AFL exhibits near Brisbane CBD for fans to get psyched about this historic occasion, barely any buzz about the game whatsoever... it won't leave much of footprint in QLD when the game is done and dusted.... Just an obscure Grand Final footnote a la the 1991 Waverley GF... Here's hoping the game can salvage something exciting out of this year... Extra time would be nice to make up for the shortened quarters
Do people actually like the parade and exhibits. Seeing my team in a grand final 8 times none of those thingsi nterested me. Only went to a parade once and thats only cos it literally went past my office in collins street. Was all a but boring.

what i like a out grand final week is listening to all the buzz on the radio and tv. That is all still there. Grand final marathons with mates. And the whole grand final morning. Pity there isnt going to be a vfl/under 18 grand final beforehand.

85 percent of people stay home on a saturday night. those who go out to pubs and parties are a very small proportion of the population. Mostly 18-35 year olds.

however 50 percent of people are out on a saturday afternoon going shopping, chores, playing sport, catching up with friends.

Except for GF day when everything stops, like cup day, everyone has other things to do on a Tuesday afternoon but no one calls for a night cup!

There is no other sport on the normal GF day, all local footy finishes the week before and summer sports start the week after. This year it’s late October and everyone has moved on

The other thing missing this GF day is a unique spectacle, you only see it on ANZAC Day or GF day, a full house, the sun shining at the MCG. This year will be just like any other game at the GABBA. Nothing different, nothing special.

Do people actually like the parade and exhibits. Seeing my team in a grand final 8 times none of those thingsi nterested me. Only went to a parade once and thats only cos it literally went past my office in collins street. Was all a but boring.

what i like a out grand final week is listening to all the buzz on the radio and tv. That is all still there. Grand final marathons with mates. And the whole grand final morning. Pity there isnt going to be a vfl/under 18 grand final beforehand.

I haven’t been to all of our parades, but been to a couple, it’s the whole atmosphere in Melbourne and our Dear Leader who wouldn’t even know there was a footy game on this Saturday until someone told him decided the parade was so big he’d give everyone a day off for it...

I've watched about 5 games total this year, so yes. Whole season feels Mickey mouse.

Let me guess, your interest in the season dropped off when North won only one game in the last 15 rounds.

When has a season ever been played by the same rules? Or should I say interpretation of the rules?

Finals are always umpired differently to home and away.

Deliberate out of bounds rule changed in between preliminary finals this year.

Holding the ball rule changed about 5 times this season.

They should have made the quarters the normal length for the finals.

Yeah there is no reason that quarters couldn't have gone back to the normal length for finals, saying you can't make changes during the season is a copout when there are plenty of other examples of the AFL making rule changes during the season.

I think the real reason the AFL didn't want to go back to normal length quarters for finals is that they want to keep the shorter quarters permanently, if they went back to normal length quarters for finals and everyone said how much better the games were it would make it harder for them to keep the shorter quarters.

Except for GF day when everything stops, like cup day, everyone has other things to do on a Tuesday afternoon but no one calls for a night cup!

There is no other sport on the normal GF day, all local footy finishes the week before and summer sports start the week after. This year it’s late October and everyone has moved on

The other thing missing this GF day is a unique spectacle, you only see it on ANZAC Day or GF day, a full house, the sun shining at the MCG. This year will be just like any other game at the GABBA. Nothing different, nothing special.
Thats not correct. Prelims are always sell outs and have better fan atmospheres then the gramd final. Plus there is usually a couple of other games during the season that get over 80 thousand. The grand final is not that unique.

As some one who has been to 6 games in queensland this year the atmosphere will definately be unique to the home and away. Most of those games have only had 3-10 thousand people at them. 30 thousand is huge in comparison.

was at the prelim on saturday. Crowd atmosphere felt the equivalent of about 75 thousand at the mcg.

Zero excitement for me. Grand Final day for me is about getting together with friends, family etc and having a bbq and froths. Its usually a really exciting day and week. My team is in it, and I would usually be bouncing off the walls with excitement, but this year knowing i'll be sitting on the couch with no hope of celebrating if we win just completely kills it for me. On the plus side, at least I won't be completely devastated if we lose either...

Thats not correct. Prelims are always sell outs and have better fan atmospheres then the gramd final. Plus there is usually a couple of other games during the season that get over 80 thousand. The grand final is not that unique.

As some one who has been to 6 games in queensland this year the atmosphere will definately be unique to the home and away. Most of those games have only had 3-10 thousand people at them. 30 thousand is huge in comparison.

was at the prelim on saturday. Crowd atmosphere felt the equivalent of about 75 thousand at the mcg.

And Prelims are night games...

A night game at the GABBA with 30,000 will feel like any other GABBA game over the last 20 years

Let me guess, your interest in the season dropped off when North won only one game in the last 15 rounds.

Not at all. I've barely missed a North game in memory before this year, regardless of how we were travelling. I'd usually catch at least 1-2 non-North games a week too. Just haven't been able to muster up any energy for the 2020 season.

I think its the teams who are playing in it, a Richmond vs Geelong final was the most boring option.

Also this game lacks the hype and fun, last year we had the Big Big sound memes, 2018 had Pies vs West Coast, 2017 had tigers first gf since 1982, 2016 had dogs first gf since 1960 odd, ect ect

Back