Opinion Are you ready for the “Hawthorn Hoot”?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we should all shut the f#&k up and follow the lead of this sydney school and "silent cheer" and "pull excited faces" when cyril takes a speci, to respect spectators who are sensitive to noise...

"CLAPPING has been banned at a Sydney primary school which has introduced “silent cheering”, “pulling excited faces” and “punching the air” to respect students who are “sensitive to noise”."

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...e/news-story/cf87e7e5758906367e31b41537b18ad6
"Punching the air"? Bit too aggressive for me.

Meh. If I want to sing, I'll go and do karaoke at the local where there is cheaper beer and hotter chicks...at the game, i just want everyone to shut up so I can hear the promo...

The Demons sell plastic pitchforks - why don't we make up some plastic razor-sharp talons and just shred the nearest opposition supporter every time we score...?

I think we should sing an INXS song before our games.
The idea might really catch on.
Bitter tears would be a good one I think

I know that this sort of thing needs to happen organically in order for it to be meaningful but it has been 92 seasons and the extent of fan verbal engagement with the game has arrived at an evolutionary cul-de-sac with "Hawthorn (clap clap clap), Hawthorn (clap clap clap)" .... repeat 6 times before fading out self consciously. I keep hoping that something like this will catch on and that it will become Hawthorn's thing that is unique to us. I liked the Iceland clapping thing cos it was both unique and intimidating to the opposition. It also really defined them as a fan base. I wish something like that would evolve in the AFL and preferably within Hawthorn. I stress the word evolve because the Port 'never tear us a apart' thing I find cringey. Also, as with chants, once one club successfully orchestrates something the rest will respond to it. Any sort of fan engagement like this is good for the game imo. Make it happen.

I think we should all shut the f#&k up and follow the lead of this sydney school and "silent cheer" and "pull excited faces" when cyril takes a speci, to respect spectators who are sensitive to noise...

"CLAPPING has been banned at a Sydney primary school which has introduced “silent cheering”, “pulling excited faces” and “punching the air” to respect students who are “sensitive to noise”."

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...e/news-story/cf87e7e5758906367e31b41537b18ad6
Some one should go into that school and burn down the admin building.
They put an apostrophe in Assembly's when pluralising the word.

sitting at my desk mashing my k/b I think its a silly idea.

but at the footy with a few bubbly-browns in my belly I'd probably suffer mob-mentality and join in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Miss the bugler from the old wooden stand at the sardine tin.

But that reminds me of depression days.

I reckon the first two lines of our club song would be enough to put most opposition players off when taking a pressure shot on goal.

That was Andrew Bretherton in the 1960s.Got a couple of mentions in the '61 Premiership TV broadcast.
Used to park himself up the back of the main stand at Glenferrie.
Another Scotch boy!
Back when Jeff still barracked for Melbourne.

Didn't I read on here that some people had started singing Cyril to the tune of Errol by Aus. Crawl? and, Don't let me down Breust, to ELO?

exactly, and the straight Cyril ccyyyyyrill chant.

used to like the ole ole ole ole ....mighty hawks hawks hawks but it didn't last.

club tried to get 'we are family' but that fell flat.

I like the crownbet ad riff before the bounce. sets the mood

The regressive left is something people should be very concerned about.

I always take the shock, horror stories about schools when things like 'hug bans' are publicized with a pinch of salt

teachers are dealing with schoolkids 'crazes' which evaporate and the outrageous 'rule' is forgotten. its usually a storm in a teacup

The regressive left is something people should be very concerned about.

Don't get me started, the regressive left have infiltrated every aspect of our lives and they masquerade as "do gooders". Both spectrums of the political sphere are included in this.

Soon they will tell us when to cheer at the football by placing placards around the MCG to clap on queue as not to disturb the seagulls flying around for they may feel distress from all the noise.

Probably don't need comment about the left or right here there is a whole politics and religion board for that before we get into a s**t fight about something other than who should be playing this week

Artificial and contrived fan chants etc are a bit meh, really. We just won 3 flags in a row without having a special chant or warm up song etc. Our crowds are definitely on the timid side - but I dare say that has little overall impact when you consider the results we've been able to generate from 08-16.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back