Aren't they a nice bunch down at Hillsong

Remove this Banner Ad

There are many questions about this article and none of mine are directed at Hillsong.

''Many people would be reluctant to deal with such an avowed evangelical outfit as Hillsong and there are legitimate concerns in the community about the blurring of an organisation's religious pursuits and its relationship with their welfare services."
And many would equally be reluctant to deal with the Catholic Church (KFC)church

I'm all for hillsong bashing.....but this article has nothing to do with them :confused:

whatever you think about the catholic church, this is a pretty good publicity stunt/moral stand.

Centrelink got kicked in the balls with the Matthew Pearce case.

The Catholic Social Services Australia is just stoking the fires :)

pressure pressure >,>

midorigreenwood said:
I'm all for hillsong bashing>

So am I but maybe I have stretch it too far

That Hillsong is the sole provider of a dodgy govt service, that should be run by the Govt, annoys me.

I love the way so many on BF feel more than free to kick the crxp out of Christians but vehemently defend the far more ardent god bothering of muslims.

How many Christians want a theocracy? People expressing beliefs well short of that are called extremist loonies.

Yet supposedly muslims expressing belief in the caliphate, their religion being more important in their identity than their country, extreme anti gay beliefs etc can be labelled as moderate.

How odd.

medusala said:
I love the way so many on BF feel more than free to kick the crxp out of Christians but vehemently defend the far more ardent god bothering of muslims.

I try to have two boots

medusala said:

How many Christians want a theocracy? People expressing beliefs well short of that are called extremist loonies.

Yet supposedly muslims expressing belief in the caliphate, their religion being more important in their identity than their country, extreme anti gay beliefs etc can be labelled as moderate.

How odd.
having a religious institution riddled with kiddy fiddlers does nothing to instill support .....except for brainwashed weak minded individuals

MightyFighting said:
I'm with Qsaint. Private organisations and welfare do not mix.

What dont you like about the Salvos, SVdP, BSL etc?

Plenty would argue they do a better job than the govt with far less resources.

medusala said:
What dont you like about the Salvos, SVdP, BSL etc?

Plenty would argue they do a better job than the govt with far less resources.

This question wasn't directed at me, but I'll put in my two bob's worth ...

The organisations you mention all do a wonderful job in their own way. But there's something dangerously laissez-faire about leaving the official social safety net to the discretion of organisations with a particular moral agenda.

St Vinnies, the Salvos and the Brotherhood tend to be fairly unconditional with their love.

I just tend to worry about a mob like Hillsong. I think they have a strong philosophical link to the neo-con world order, which would make them ideal "enforcers" of the Howard agenda ... and that is a very scary proposition. The Federal government using an extremist evangelical sect to do its dirty work.

Not that paying people's bills for them is "dirty work". But kicking them off the dole for 8 weeks and then having a bunch of protestant extremists sit in judgement to decide if they're worthy of help or not does not inspire confidence in the system at all.

No coincidence that Peter Costello is a Hillsong member.

A church that equates wealth with virtue ... administering government welfare?

No thanks.

I think it's highly significant that the Catholic Church, with its strong tradition of social justice, has decided that it can no longer work with this government. This suggests to me that this government is seriously on the nose ... and more and more people are coming to realise it.

Good signs, really ... it probably means Australia's nightmarish experiment with Ultra Rightism is nearly over.

medusala said:

How odd.
I love the way so many on BF feel more than free to kick the crxp out of Muslims but vehemently defend the far more ardent god bothering of Christians.

How many Muslims want a theocracy? People expressing beliefs well short of that are called extremist loonies.

Yet supposedly Christians expressing belief in charity and extreme anti gay beliefs etc can be labelled as moderate.

How odd

-------
Indeed Medusala

I have no problem with Christian goups running soup kitchens, I was actually involved with one. No problem with Drug and alcohol rehabilitation either. The reason is to some extent you have a choice to use the service

The govt is off loading there responsibility of centerlink payments to one group of evangelicals in Redfern and Blacktown. While I don't like pandering to minorities, Muslims and Aboriginals for instance should not have to use that service

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have nothing against the charity wings of many religious NGOs as long as there are no strings attached.

I may disagree with their teachings but the Catholic Church were instrumental in raising awareness about the plight of the East Timorese when they were in the wilderness of international apathy.

However there has been serious questions raised about misappropiation of funds with Hillsong emerge (their charity wing). That alone is reason enough to be skeptical about their financial dealings.

Dr AlfAndrews said:
A church that equates wealth with virtue ... administering government welfare?

A no of protestant churches do that. Lets not confuse established churches with Johhny come lately jump and down and yell hallelujah type mobs.

I would hardly be in favour of letting many nutcase religions/cults anywhere near govt cash/services.

I honestly don't know where this equating of wealth with virtue came from. Certainly not from the Bible. It says somewhere that it's harder to get a rich guy into heaven than it is to get a camel through the eye of a needle, and that takes some doing. Also, I don't think Jesus ever had much money.

So stop trying to find a theological justification for being a money-grubbing dipstick. There just isn't one.

Jumpin' Jimmy said:
Can you verify this?

Well, I haven't got a source, if that's what you mean. I just thought it was common knowledge.

I saw something on TV once about the Hillsong Church ... and there he was ... smirking away like an alley cat.

Can't remember what channel, what program, what date ... trust me ... I saw it.

medusala said:
A no of protestant churches do that. Lets not confuse established churches with Johhny come lately jump and down and yell hallelujah type mobs.

I would hardly be in favour of letting many nutcase religions/cults anywhere near govt cash/services.

Which, I suppose, then begs the question: do you consider Hillsong to be an established protestant church or a "Johnny come lately jump up and down and yell hallelujah mob"?

I would regard them as the latter.

Dr AlfAndrews said:
Which, I suppose, then begs the question: do you consider Hillsong to be an established protestant church or a "Johnny come lately jump up and down and yell hallelujah mob"?

I would regard them as the latter.

My 70 year old mum describes them as "happy clappy people" Deserving IMO.

Blues_Man said:
having a religious institution riddled with kiddy fiddlers does nothing to instill support .....except for brainwashed weak minded individuals

Riddled? It is an extremely small minority, and the rest of the church should not be condemned for the behaviour of others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back