TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
I recently had an argument with someone which got heated and afterwards i feel regret and even anxiety that i didnt defuse the situation before it happened.

So i realize its always better to walk away in these tense situations as nothing good ever comes from it.
Unless its a matter of protecting yourself and family.

What are you're thoughts & experience on this?

i have a fairly short temper and when the adrenaline starts pumping and you feel yourself start yelling, it can be difficult to stop.
It's what i dislike most about myself because I am always consumed with embarassment and guilt afterwards.

I think it is best, generally, to walk away.
sometimes an argument, even a heated argument, is good if it leads to issues being resolved.
but a lot of the time it's just two people trying to talk over each other, not listening to the other person, and both people looking like gooses.

With family members I think it's a mistake. Seems to be the case most of the time when it happens. Doesn't help anyone's cause.

With friends though I don't mind it. Friends seem to hold things in a lot of the time and it doesn't do much good.

I had a few confrontations in my school years as most would have and a few involved flying fists that mostly missed the mark.
A few heated ones when running a pub in the 90s. None escalated to violence.

Although the closest to violence and fiercest one I have had happened only a few short months ago at 57 years of age when I had a toe to toe screaming match with my daughters dead beat boyfriend. He told me to take my glasses off which I did and I told him to take his best shot, he wanted to, I could see it in his eyes but he held back. Went on for what seemed an eternity but was more like 3-5 minutes. In the end I told him to f..k off and never set foot in my house again.

Note-
He's an alcoholic, drug taker, unemployed dole bludger going on 3 years now, also played up on my daughter, she dumped him but foolishly she took him back a few weeks later. I found marijuana growing in the back yard which he admitted was his, I've had police at our place with a warrant for his arrest for assault and that is the short story.

I had a few confrontations in my school years as most would have and a few involved flying fists that mostly missed the mark.
A few heated ones when running a pub in the 90s. None escalated to violence.

Although the closest to violence and fiercest one I have had happened only a few short months ago at 57 years of age when I had a toe to toe screaming match with my daughters dead beat boyfriend. He told me to take my glasses off which I did and I told him to take his best shot, he wanted to, I could see it in his eyes but he held back. Went on for what seemed an eternity but was more like 3-5 minutes. In the end I told him to f..k off and never set foot in my house again.

Note-
He's an alcoholic, drug taker, unemployed dole bludger going on 3 years now, also played up on my daughter, she dumped him but foolishly she took him back a few weeks later. I found marijuana growing in the back yard which he admitted was his, I've had police at our place with a warrant for his arrest for assault and that is the short story.

Good on you
Id do the same for my daughters when they are that age.

Been in two fights in my life, one was a draw (got broken up) and one I got dropped with the first punch, my nose is still crooked ha ha. Fighting is dumb unless you absolutely have to (i.e. someone attacks you), avoid at all costs. As for arguments I'm generally pretty calm, however on Bigfooty I'm brave as ****.
Three of us one night got jumped by pikies. That wasn't a fair fight, actually it wasn't even a fight, they just gave kicking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pikies are one group you wouldn't want to take on that's for sure, there's a 13 year old pikie down at the gym I go to, unbelievably seasoned fighter, you'd swear he'd had at least 10 pro fights.
One of them was the brother of a bloke who fought for a British title. He was also a grass which is why despite the entire village knowing who bashed us, nobody was charged.

i have a fairly short temper and when the adrenaline starts pumping and you feel yourself start yelling, it can be difficult to stop.
It's what i dislike most about myself because I am always consumed with embarassment and guilt afterwards.

I think it is best, generally, to walk away.
sometimes an argument, even a heated argument, is good if it leads to issues being resolved.
but a lot of the time it's just two people trying to talk over each other, not listening to the other person, and both people looking like gooses.

Surprised - never heard of a Yugoslavian with a temper before

Damn - beaten to it - just like Bosnia in the early 90s - #amirite perthblue

Remove this Banner Ad

Back