International Club Rugby Arise, Sir Graham

Remove this Banner Ad

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
No surprise at all. Richie will be next.

Henry's cup gift

WELLINGTON: All Blacks coach Graham Henry, who guided New Zealand to their Rugby World Cup win last October, was rewarded with a knighthood in the New Year's honours list.

Henry, now Sir Graham, has been made a Knight Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit, for his service to the national sport.

It's a silly and out-dated bunch of crap IMO really in general but even if I ignore my feelings on the award in general, why should sportsmen and women be knighted? Always seemed ridiculous and OTT for that to be the case. A brilliant scientist who discovers the cure to a terrible disease or a philanthropist who raises money in an attempt to better the world, fair enough. But entertainers being knighted...spare me.

However, if you go along with the paradigm that sportsmen/musicians are worthy of knighthood, then Henry is a fair selection.

The only sportsman and women who should be knighted should be the ones of similar stature to Sir Don Bradman who pulled Australia through the depression with his sporting skill.

Coaching a winning team at a Rugby World cup does not stand up to that for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back