Player Watch Arlo Draper (Delisted 2023)

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
He’s a mid/forward more than half-back. Strong overhead, great clearance work.

He’s incredibly versatile though, can play anywhere. He played off HB for SA in that champs game before getting injured and looked the goods, he’s a forward runner so better being somewhere he can see the play too.

The knock on him was his two-way running because when his opponent won the ball at the stoppage he would (literally) walk, which he improved more towards the end before being injured. He’s a first round prospect if he can pull his finger out which hopefully comes in an elite environment. Like he looked super for say 80% of the game, if he can improve that 20% where he can be lethargic, then he’s got plenty of upside.
Injuries and application as you’ve just stated mean that it’s not a bargain pick but par m. Yes he has massive upside if he applies himself and keeps fit and injury free, but these are big if’s in modern day football. The fact so many picks past him by suggests there are concerns. With our history of injury and players with poor attitude not realising their potential. I am cautiously optimistic.

Injuries and application as you’ve just stated mean that it’s not a bargain pick but par m. Yes he has massive upside if he applies himself and keeps fit and injury free, but these are big if’s in modern day football. The fact so many picks past him by suggests there are concerns. With our history of injury and players with poor attitude not realising their potential. I am cautiously optimistic.

Hopefully a whole new Setup will fix these Issues.

Of Course in the 3rd Round you Taking Players with some Question Marks but some part of his Game is seen as Elite

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Hopefully a whole new Setup will fix these Issues.

Of Course in the 3rd Round you Taking Players with some Question Marks but some part of his Game is seen as Elite
Absolutely elite if it all comes together. But so was Shaz, Freeman, Sier. Broomhead had all the attributes on paper as well.

I’m happy with the pick given where we picked him up in comparison to those I’ve listed above. But similar to those listed above, from what I’ve read their a risks and I don’t think it’s a bargain pick.

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Moving up 2 spots by giving up a future 3 rounder to Geelong to get this kid shows they really wanted him. Effectively paid 2 third rounders for him.
He does look good though. Time will tell.
Dodoro did look annoyed after that move.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Moving up 2 spots by giving up a future 3 rounder to Geelong to get this kid shows they really wanted him. Effectively paid 2 third rounders for him.
He does look good though. Time will tell.
Dodoro did look annoyed after that move.
Well Dodoro annoys the sht out of everyone else in the league so that makes me happy.

ant22

Premiership Player
Oct 14, 2005
gisborne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
pies

suggesting he has a poor attitude seems a bit harsh. Kid sounded brilliant when interviewed.

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
It’s been suggested he could lift his work rate defensively. I don’t think that means he had a bad attitude. It’s an area for him to work on. If the interview is anything to go by he comes across as a really level headed kid.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to knock the kid before he has an opportunity to even prove his worth. The point of my OP was that on account of his reported laziness and his injuries he was picked later than some anticipated. This isn’t an accident, clubs are very deliberate in their approach, they don’t just forget to pick players.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to knock the kid before he has an opportunity to even prove his worth. The point of my OP was that on account of his reported laziness and his injuries he was picked later than some anticipated. This isn’t an accident, clubs are very deliberate in their approach, they don’t just forget to pick players.

Teams make decisions according to their own parameters.

There has never been a draft that went in the exact correct order, using the benefit of hindsight. If he was a player we had in our sights and he fell to us then great. All the better that we traded up a couple of spots to knock Essendon out of contention

I have no idea about this alleged laziness but Maynard came to us with the same unfair reputation iirc.

This might be one of those “before Patrick Cripps we wouldn’t have drafted him” picks. His endurance is bad bad we’re backing ourselves to fix it.

Just as long as it doesn’t end up like Phil Inn.

Matrix10

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Think Arlo can push for senior selection year 1

has senior experience, a reasonable body, and is smart with the ball

good selection
He be more than pushing for senior election in his first year , this kid has all the tools and skill set , it’s down to his application , dedication to working hard on the track and how much he wants to be the best he can be , natural footballer with talent that can light up the football world on the football field. Go well young man

Back