Player Watch Arlo Draper (Delisted 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Was very happy with how the draft turned out in the end despite numerous terrible trades.

On face value was probably the bargain of the draft, and he does have his strengths as a small midfielder:
- Speed
- Skills
- Clearance work

However, these are not attributes that we desperately need in our next generation of midfielders. If anything all of Nick Daicos, Josh Daicos, Finlay Macrae, Reef McInnis are highly offensive mids that have the above areas well covered.

So while it would've been nice to have another pick in that range to select Taylor, ultimately he wasn't a need at all, and if anything I think him competing for spots not only hurts the development of our other young mids, but also is pointless since with his light frame there is very little synergy between him and the rest of the midfield group.

Which is why with all things considered, Draper WAS the best case scenario. Very excited about his future prospects. Probably prefer him to play a hybrid wing/inside midfield role to exploit his kicking skills and set up plays up the ground. I see him Sam Menegola in him, skillful outside mid that can actually win his own ball and rotate through stoppages.

Was very happy with how the draft turned out in the end despite numerous terrible trades.

On face value was probably the bargain of the draft, and he does have his strengths as a small midfielder:
- Speed
- Skills
- Clearance work

However, these are not attributes that we desperately need in our next generation of midfielders. If anything all of Nick Daicos, Josh Daicos, Finlay Macrae, Reef McInnis are highly offensive mids that have the above areas well covered.

So while it would've been nice to have another pick in that range to select Taylor, ultimately he wasn't a need at all, and if anything I think him competing for spots not only hurts the development of our other young mids, but also is pointless since with his light frame there is very little synergy between him and the rest of the midfield group.

Which is why with all things considered, Draper WAS the best case scenario. Very excited about his future prospects. Probably prefer him to play a hybrid wing/inside midfield role to exploit his kicking skills and set up plays up the ground. I see him Sam Menegola in him, skillful outside mid that can actually win his own ball and rotate through stoppages.
Not every trade is a Swanny in the 40's and besides haven't you ever heard of sacrificial tactics?

You can't realistically expect to win every round of every contest.

Let your opponent have a small tactical victory or even a number of tactical victories to secure the final victory.

Looking at some of those swaps in isolation gives the impression of a loss but I would not be surprised if some of those swaps were strategic to enlist favors and position our team to take advantage of a coming situation. I don't for one second think Nick slipped to 4 - a totally unbelievable happenstance - without some horse trading to enlist non bids.

It's just too simplistic to say they were terrible trades when we are not privy to the campaign tactics of two very experienced trading professionals.

Arlo Draper (Collingwood)
Compared in style to Jake Stringer. Medium forward with a few tricks which makes him difficult to contain including his aerial ability, dazzling speed and agility can turn an opponent inside out. Has a touch of class about him and has already played a couple of senior matches with South Adelaide coming up through the grades.

Was he playing basketball.

Not sure.. just basing it on that lil 2 min chat after he got drafted. Might be easily distracted. Not as committed as some others. A speculative pick in the 10-20s. Good gamble at 45. Can't really afford to drop 5% at the elite level.. unless you're a star I suppose.

Not sure.. just basing it on that lil 2 min chat after he got drafted. Might be easily distracted. Not as committed as some others. A speculative pick in the 10-20s. Good gamble at 45. Can't really afford to drop 5% at the elite level.. unless you're a star I suppose.

Don't think you could really tell from a 2 Minute Interview.

Might have Heaters problem with ADHD?

I think I’ve watched his highlights every day since we drafted him

Dumb question, is the shoulder still an issue? Or is he able to participate in full training now?
Dekka said full training post-christmas? I think. I'd have to go back and re-watch but I think he said that

Thanks Jen. The interview on the website he said hopefully ready by preseason, but it was clearly recorded well ahead of time.

At least it’s only an AC joint.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Jen. The interview on the website he said hopefully ready by preseason, but it was clearly recorded well ahead of time.

At least it’s only an AC joint.
Yeah, they'll ease him into things. He has been doing drills at least. Probably just no rough upper body contact.

Dumb question, is the shoulder still an issue? Or is he able to participate in full training now?

What I heard he won't be back into Full Training until next year as had Surgery on his AC Joint

Hine said the other day that he'll start a bit later than the other draftees, but I thought he had an ankle issue?

He had Ankle early in the Season

Apparently been put in The forward group. like hearing that after reading about his strengths in the draft wraps
Suppose he was. But not in full training yet til next month. But its no surprise he'll start there, as some mids usually do. Was doing mostly running today while match sim was going on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back