List Mgmt. Arm Chair campaigners assemble, Lets talk Jack Lonie

Predict Lonie's career

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Jack. He's a really nice kid.

Club has pushed him down the pecking order, so he is looking at options.

It may come down to delisting and drafting him again if he doesn't get picked up.

Has plenty of skill but his size is a concern.

IMO he has been given many opportunities and persisted with.

If I was going to pump 10 games into anyone, it would be Minch next year.

Don't let his endeavour cloud the fact that his ability isn't up to it . Isn't big enough to tackle well or that quick for his size . When he does get the ball his vision is average or below , he can't kick more than 40m and his set shot is poor . Usually players that small are super skilled but he's not.
I haven't seen him play much VFL so I can't say whether he shows any of this at that level.
Small forward wise I am happy to move forward with the other guys we have.

The way the game us played, there's hardly any room for a crumbing forward these days, so you need other weapons in the kit such as marking and tackling.

Unless left one out like Betts, I reckon even Milne would struggle to be as prolific as he was... even though he could play as 3rd tall.

Don't let his endeavour cloud the fact that his ability isn't up to it . Isn't big enough to tackle well or that quick for his size . When he does get the ball his vision is average or below , he can't kick more than 40m and his set shot is poor . Usually players that small are super skilled but he's not.
I haven't seen him play much VFL so I can't say whether he shows any of this at that level.

Couldn't agree more, if he was super skilled and could kick set shots he would be valuable, but he is poor at set shots and lacks skills.
6 goals 13, rated at 29% , is one of the worst kicks at goal in the comp. but I don't think he is a forward, he is a midfielder for sandy so we aren't playing him in the right spot. Whether he could replace a Steele, Ross, Steven or dunstan is highly unlikely.

List clogger, delist.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

GWS need small forwards. Happy to involve Lonie in any potential Kelly trade.

Lonie is young I'd back him in for one more if no trade could be done.

I'd back Lonie over Wright but probably not Minch at this stage.

39 games for a kid is nothing to throw away. 28 goals 39 points as a forward pocket is his problem. Does average 3 tackles a game. Is that enough ??

The difference between Lonie and Wright is that Wright knows his limitations when on the field, so doesn't try to do miraculous things and focuses on applying pressure and playing his role.

Lonie tries to do too much and still doesn't grasp that he can't pull off those miracle kicks, and by attempting them it can really disadvantage the team.

The difference between Lonie and Wright is that Wright knows his limitations when on the field, so doesn't try to do miraculous things and focuses on applying pressure and playing his role.

Lonie tries to do too much and still doesn't grasp that he can't pull off those miracle kicks, and by attempting them it can really disadvantage the team.

Problem there is that he is told to work on turning defensive work into attack.

Hasn't quite done that, so not sure if the club believes he can. Maybe he is trying too hard?

I don't buy this "he's too small to..". Caleb Daniel is shorter but seems to do all the right AFL things. Lonie unfortunately is too slow, turns the ball over too much, can't hit the side of a barn when taking a set shot, but it's got nothing to do with him being too small.

Problem there is that he is told to work on turning defensive work into attack.

Hasn't quite done that, so not sure if the club believes he can. Maybe he is trying too hard?

I think this is getting close to the money.
Based on results he's not there.
But when you watch him, there is so much that looks right, its just not quite working for him, little things are going wrong. ( Ahmed Saad was a bit like that too ).
IF .. It can click in place for him, he could be terrific. To me he's a player that could suddenly be good, or he may never be good.
I don't buy these people who say he's a spud, purely based on his goal kicking results.

I think this is getting close to the money.
Based on results he's not there.
But when you watch him, there is so much that looks right, its just not quite working for him, little things are going wrong. ( Ahmed Saad was a bit like that too ).
IF .. It can click in place for him, he could be terrific. To me he's a player that could suddenly be good, or he may never be good.
I don't buy these people who say he's a spud, purely based on his goal kicking results.

Has a bit of the stringer disease, tries to show off all the time and do flashy things that rarely works. Can't do the basics right, such as set shot goals and passing it regularly without turning it over. Purely attitude, he can turn it around, just get the basics right first before doing flashy stuff...

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cringe when he dives and carries on. Been given numerous opportunities and has struggled with the same deficiencies on pretty much every occasion.

Dominates on the ball at VFL level but will never be an onballer at AFL level. Just too small.

On what I've seen of him, cut him loose. It's a pity because he looked ok early in his first year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are you talking about? Lays more tackles than almost all our other forwards (mav included) and before I see this "yeah but his tackles just get broken" argument, no; if a tackle gets broken it's then just a pressure act.

As for his skill watch any of his highlight reels and you'll see his delivery into f50 is better than half our team as well as his nutty goals when he's actually allowed a bit of leeway to play his own game.

Finally, how on earth is Lonie a worse prospect than any, let aloke EVERY one of our other smalls? Minch has been on the list for what 6 years now and he's still shown less. Wright legitimately couldn't hit a raindrop in a hailstorm. Long has shown piss all in his games (noteably far less than Lonie in his first couple of years). And beyond that who else do we have? Mav? Don't even get me started on yoga...

As someone said in another thread, he needs to bulk up, could do a lot worse than model his game on a Zorko type. Rumours unhappy at what Saints have offered $$ wise. I know a lot of smart hard working people who'd love to be offered $150-$200K per year to be doing something they love. If it's not enough for Jack, hit the ******* gym and show us what you've got!

t

too light - caleb daniel gives up 6cm but at the same weight is stockier and able to keep his feet - trainers will be on him to increase his muscle mass if we keep him.

Caleb is an inside mid vs a forward, muscle mass wouldnt make a diff, as a 6 foot guy would still beat him easily for strength

I hear lonie is wanting to go to another club, williamstown would be good

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Slightly surprised we have already offered him a deal (pre trade period).

That basically only limits us to one acquisition before trading out other players.

Back