List Mgmt. Arm Chair campaigners assemble, Lets talk Jack Lonie

Predict Lonie's career

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So you would play Lonie in the forward pocket in the seconds? He plays exactly as he should in both the firsts and seconds. That's the life of small footballers. Surely you understand that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't see how playing midfield in the VFL helps to prepare him for playing small forward in the AFL.

I don't see how playing midfield in the VFL helps to prepare him for playing small forward in the AFL.

Well touching the ball 5 times in the seconds wouldn't help either. I doubt many players from any club who come in as forward pockets play role in the seconds. They may rest there but most probably play on ball

Well touching the ball 5 times in the seconds wouldn't help either. I doubt many players from any club who come in as forward pockets play role in the seconds. They may rest there but most probably play on ball

He would still get quite a lot more than 5 disposals even if he played as a small forward. :rolleyes:

You may be right re: other clubs, but surely it also is not such a bad idea to have him spend some games in the VFL as a small forward to help him become better accustomed to playing there. It can't be easy getting used to one role in the VFL and then having to adjust to another in the AFL, on top of all of the other increased difficulties that come with the step up from VFL to AFL.

He would still get quite a lot more than 5 disposals even if he played as a small forward. :rolleyes:

You may be right re: other clubs, but surely it also is not such a bad idea to have him spend some games in the VFL as a small forward to help him become better accustomed to playing there. It can't be easy getting used to one role in the VFL and then having to adjust to another in the AFL, on top of all of the other increased difficulties that come with the step up from VFL to AFL.

He would play when he rests. The option is to play him permanently there and never really develop him or play mid and rest there and give him a chance to develop

He would play when he rests. The option is to play him permanently there and never really develop him or play mid and rest there and give him a chance to develop

I see both sides of the argument, however, he seems to playing far more as a mid than a small forward, which I question of the value of doing that with the aim of developing a more rounded game if we have no intention of playing him as a midfielder in the AFL.

The worry I have about Lonie is what he is missing that Gresham and Sinclair had which is an elite characteristic.
Sinclair always had an ability to find a little extra space and Gresham has an elusive step both are also better at kicking for goal (but ignore the goal kicking as that to me was a training problem)
The only elite characteristic Lonie has is drawing a free kick and he's not particularly fast a good mark or evasive. Saying that if he can work on his accuracy and sticking tackles he will be a decent small forward who gets a soft free kick or 2 a game but it's a very 50/50 thing.
The 1 year contract might not be a bad thing for him if he stays every chance he really nails down his spot next year just by practicing his goal kicking and getting a little more muscle strength and can demand some decent money but I don't see him becoming an elite player like Sinclair or Gresham can and likely will.

with the ball he can be pretty elusive and hard to pin especially when in a bit of space, also he's quick thinking and quick by hand. also is courageous and never stops hunting the ball. I'm a Lonie fan but mind tells me he's going to be one of those players who can never quite make the leap up to VFL, but hope I'm wrong.

So you would play Lonie in the forward pocket in the seconds? He plays exactly as he should in both the firsts and seconds. That's the life of small footballers. Surely you understand that

I understand everything except some of your statements :)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-13/the-depth-chart-how-is-your-club-placed

Re Brisbane:
The Lions need more versatility in the middle of the ground either through trade or draft and could also desperately do with a pressuring small forward

Re Collingwood:
... while a small forward to bring pressure to their attacking half is something else they could do with.

Re Fremantle:
A goalkicking small forward to help release Walters into the midfield wouldn't go astray.

Re Geelong:
They could do with another small forward, too.

Re GWS:
... but they could use a high-pressure small forward with genuine speed to help at ground level.

Re Melbourne:
... but another small forward to assist Garlett will be high on the club's wish list.

If, as rumoured, Lonie is shopping himself around, there appear to be plenty of clubs that need his type. If he doesn't end anywhere else, then that's a fair indication of how he is rated in the AFL given the number of clubs looking ...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-13/the-depth-chart-how-is-your-club-placed

Re Brisbane:
The Lions need more versatility in the middle of the ground either through trade or draft and could also desperately do with a pressuring small forward

Re Collingwood:
... while a small forward to bring pressure to their attacking half is something else they could do with.

Re Fremantle:
A goalkicking small forward to help release Walters into the midfield wouldn't go astray.

Re Geelong:
They could do with another small forward, too.

Re GWS:
... but they could use a high-pressure small forward with genuine speed to help at ground level.

Re Melbourne:
... but another small forward to assist Garlett will be high on the club's wish list.

If, as rumoured, Lonie is shopping himself around, there appear to be plenty of clubs that need his type. If he doesn't end anywhere else, then that's a fair indication of how he is rated in the AFL given the number of clubs looking ...

WE need his type. But he gets the yips and misses the goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is why he should be played in the forward pocket so he can practice his shots for goal and perfect his defensive action as well . No reason why he can't give a mid a spell for five minutes or so .

That's not how to develop. His defensive actions are fine. His shooting for goal isn't. Playing in front of a cat and dog won't help that when it is mental. He is played exactly as a developing player should be played. Mainly mid and rest forward

Lets hope he actually plays most of his time up forward in the 2's next year, we've killed his development first few years.

I see both sides of the argument, however, he seems to playing far more as a mid than a small forward, which I question of the value of doing that with the aim of developing a more rounded game if we have no intention of playing him as a midfielder in the AFL.

With the current "forward pressure" being able to play like a mid, win clearances , win contested ball, will only help him as a small forward. The midfield moves to the forward line.
Its the "fragile" forwards who suffer in this environment.
Steven Milne 2005 would have really struggled in this environment ( he actually improved this aspect of the game as he got older ).

1 year is the right decision.

He is too young and raw to throw on the scrap heap just yet, but it also shows that both parties acknowledge that he has plenty of work to do to become a consistently good AFL footballer.

Let's hope in 12 months time we're celebrating him signing a 3 year deal cause it will mean he's had a great year for us.

Im am continually disappointed by the lack of physical development the collective of our younger players show. There is something seriously amiss with their gym programs when a guy like Lonie hasnt put on any bulk or got stonger in the last 3 years. When you look at other clubs youngsters with developed bodies it raises questions IMO.

Im am continually disappointed by the lack of physical development the collective of our younger players show. There is something seriously amiss with their gym programs when a guy like Lonie hasnt put on any bulk or got stonger in the last 3 years. When you look at other clubs youngsters with developed bodies it raises questions IMO.
Like Billings who has put on 8-9kg?

Like Billings who has put on 8-9kg?
Nahh we'll get someone in to put some real muscle on them. I think i know just the "Weapon " we need. We could "charter" him to give them a real fitness program , not just jogging round some "Dank" oval in winter.

Back