Arm *ing tackles

Remove this Banner Ad

Cyril Rioli really led the way with this and a lot of other players have caught up.

As a Dees fan it's a bit grating to have Alex Neal-Bullen banned for 4 weeks when he started his tackle around the shoulder and slipped down to an arm and grabbed the jumper with his free arm. Hardly a strong tackle. His opponent swings around to kick which enhances the sling THEN having commentators in the same game praise every single other tackle that pins an arm.

"That's the perfect tackle, gave him no chance to dispose" is not something I like hearing.

David King said in the Dogs game they had 4 free kicks just from executing 'the perfect tackle'. It's not perfect at all. It's dangerous.

If it's not going to be banned the umpires should start paying it as a completed tackler. Ok, ball it up or holding the ball. No need for this silliness of attempting disposals or getting smashed to the ground with no way to protect yourself. Injuries are waiting to happen.

Seems to be the way many players are tackling now. Players hell bent on pulling a player's arm back to stop correct disposal. I think it's only a matter of time before someone ends up with a shoulder reconstruction because of this technique. Has anyone else noticed that this is dangerous and should be stamped out.

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do you remember Cyril Rioli's "tackle" on Matthew Warnock? Almost pulled his arm from its socket. Warnock went out with shoulder injury after that, but no reconstruction.

EDIT: Hahaha see above. Someone already on to it.

We all complain about the AFL changing the rules constantly then fans post stuff like this. Wrapping up the arm in the tackle IS a perfectly executed tackle. That is how you are taught to tackle.

Pinning the arms and grabbing the wrist and pulling the arm behind the back are two entirely different techniques

The reason why players do it is because prior seems to go out the window when the ball carrying arm is free. They don't tackle that way to hurt, they do it to get the free kick.

Pinning arms without prior opportunity = ball up
Grabbing one arm without prior opportunity = holding the ball

Naitanui can lay a fierce tack when he feels like it. I remember in an international series he ran down an irishman and put him into gaga land.

Do you remember Cyril Rioli's "tackle" on Matthew Warnock? Almost pulled his arm from its socket.
But that was a tackle. It wasn't a [Air Quotes] "tackle" [/Air Quotes]. 206cm Warnock took possession of the ball and 177cm Rioli grabbed his arm & dragged him to ground. Awkward spot for the big gumby. Fantastic strong tackle by the little fella!

Cyril wasn't the second man in on a defenceless player. He didn't deliberately bend the arm back like Chris Judd did to Leigh Adams

Warnock went out with shoulder injury after that, but no reconstruction.
That's bullshit.

The Hawks flogged Carlton on the 29th June and the under-performing Warnock was dropped. On the 8th July - 9 days later - Warnock played in Carlton's VFL team vs Frankston and won 32 hitouts. He was reported in that match and subsequently suspended.

It says this on Blueseum: Whilst serving his suspension, Warnock sought treatment for pain and stiffness in his right shoulder, and scans revealed floating bone fragments in the socket. Carlton’s finals hopes were all but shot by late August, so the club’s medical staff recommended an immediate arthroscope to clean out the joint. The procedure brought a premature end to another season for Robbie

Notice in that Rioli clip how Warnock had about three rolls of tape on his shoulders? That's because he had bung shoulders just like Juddy.

From Blueseum: In the aftermath of the [2011 finals], more surgery was required on both of Warnock’s shoulders, bringing a delayed start to his 2012 pre-season preparation. It was late May before he earned a recall...

He'd missed the first 8 matches of the season because of his pre-existing shoulder injury! And you're claiming it's all Cyril fault for dragging him to the ground by his arm. :D

Warnock played in the Magoos, got rubbed out, and while he was sidelined, he complained about soreness in his reconstructed shoulder one month after the game vs the Hawks. Scans revealed floating bone fragments in the joint. Carlton was struggling in 11th position, so they pulled the pin on his season and booked him in for minor arthroscopic surgery. It was a 'clean up' operation. Not an injury.

Got any other cool bedtime stories? What about the one where Cyril ate Little Red Riding Hood's grandma ?

Last edited:
Seems to be the way many players are tackling now. Players hell bent on pulling a player's arm back to stop correct disposal. I think it's only a matter of time before someone ends up with a shoulder reconstruction because of this technique. Has anyone else noticed that this is dangerous and should be stamped out.

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes. It’s highly effective but as you say it’s only a matter of time before we see a shoulder pop out eventually and then what?

The AFL had a chance to do something when Chris Judd did it all those years ago. I’d never seen the arm tackle before he did it

People are occasionally going to get hurt, and seriously hurt, when being tackled. This could be a shoulder, arm, or leg injury.
Unless you want to outlaw the tackle, the occasional injuries are unavoidable.

Pinning the arm/arms is a textbook good tackle, you can pin the arms and still execute a hard tackle that doesn't slam the head into the ground, and you can pin one arm without dislocating someone's shoulder. A tackle where you leave both opposition arms free, is generally speaking a poor tackle because it's too easy for them to handball the ball away,

Of course occasionally, these tackles will go wrong and people will get injured, that's footy.

Cyril Rioli really led the way with this and a lot of other players have caught up.

As a Dees fan it's a bit grating to have Alex Neal-Bullen banned for 4 weeks when he started his tackle around the shoulder and slipped down to an arm and grabbed the jumper with his free arm. Hardly a strong tackle. His opponent swings around to kick which enhances the sling THEN having commentators in the same game praise every single other tackle that pins an arm.

"That's the perfect tackle, gave him no chance to dispose" is not something I like hearing.

David King said in the Dogs game they had 4 free kicks just from executing 'the perfect tackle'. It's not perfect at all. It's dangerous.

If it's not going to be banned the umpires should start paying it as a completed tackler. Ok, ball it up or holding the ball. No need for this silliness of attempting disposals or getting smashed to the ground with no way to protect yourself. Injuries are waiting to happen.

Well it is a perfect tackle. It's not against the rules and doesn't allow you to dispose of the footy. What you think about those sort of tackles isn't relevant to what King was saying.

Well it is a perfect tackle. It's not against the rules and doesn't allow you to dispose of the footy. What you think about those sort of tackles isn't relevant to what King was saying.
You can't describe it as the perfect tackle then bemoan sling tackles, they're part of the same family.

There were plenty of 'perfect' tackles made for 100 years before coaches started working out techniques to pin one arm to attempt to draw holding the ball free kicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the increasing popularity of the fend off (or "don't argue") has a bit to do with this.

What Judd did was appalling, should have got weeks. Can't remember if he got anything. Far worse than a sling tackle, IMO.

With the fend off the tackler has no choice but to grab the arm. If they are successful whatever movement the player with the ball does after that could really do some damage. If they slip while an opponent has their arm, I don't want to think what could happen.

If they allow the fend off than I suppose the player doing it is taking the risk they could get seriously injured.

It seems like tacklers are adjusting to it and going for the arm, can't blame them for that.

A bit like ducking, you duck and you are risking getting cleaned up through no-ones fault but your own.

First Pinapple-Pen and now Dollhouse gets cleared by the tribunal.

Christian is probably raging right now. I wouldn't want to be a housepet or fragile object at his house tonight.

But what do you expect when you keep pinging people for complete fictions?

I can see how SPP got let off, But Dahihaus is very lucky.

I'm not sure why you think so. Unlike other tackles that have been looked at, Crouch's head didn't hit the ground and he was in possession of the ball pretty much the whole time.

Unless you mean that Dahlhaus was lucky the tribunal didn't throw Christian a bone just to let him save face a bit, in which case I agree.

I can see how SPP got let off, But Dahihaus is very lucky.

Got off because crouch wasn't hurt and got up immediately. The tribunal seemed to think there wasn't even evidence that his head hit the deck at all.

So we're again back to judging suspensions based on outcomes.

So we're again back to judging suspensions based on outcomes.

There's often a fine line between judging alleged offenses on "outcomes", and judging them on what actually happened. I think what helped Dahlhaus was

* Crouch's head didn't hit the ground. The video evidence contradicted the tale told by Christian and Gleeson.
* Crouch had the ball pretty much the whole time. What was Dahl meant to do, stop tackling? Anyone who doesn't commit to a tackle when the other guy's still got the footy deserves to be dropped for longer than the suspension he risks
* The slinging motion, what there was of it (not much), was much less than what Burgoyne kept getting off for, and comparable to SPP's.

Luke Dahlhaus should have received a week for that tackle. I just assumed it was a given. How the hell can this be judged purely on injury sustained by the player and not - what should be adjudicated - the action itself. Too soft AFL. wake up.

Dahlhaus did the exact same tackle as Alex Neal-Bullen, he just picked an opponent 10kg heavier and stronger. That's the only difference and the only reason why Crouch avoided concussion.

The tribunal have made absolute fools of themselves.

Dalhaus gets off but Murphys fine stands

LOL * OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

We haven't been ****ed this hard at the tribunal since the time all of Victoria rallied to poor Jack Vineys cause when he broke Tom Lynchs jaw

Remove this Banner Ad

Back