Universal Love Army announces his retirement - Thanks Dennis

Remove this Banner Ad

36758287-ae23-4bb8-ab6f-1cd7e99eec75.jpg

Dear Aph,

It is with a heavy heart that I write to you to declare that I will retire at season’s end.

After consulting with a number of my loved ones and close friends, I have decided that it’s time to start the next chapter of my life and bid farewell to my AFL career.

What a ride it’s been! Coming over from Perth to one of the biggest footy clubs in the country at the end of 2007, I could never have imagined that I’d still be here 10 years later. I was just aiming to play one game, so to have played 143 so far and receive Life Membership is something I’m certainly very proud of.

There are so many people to thank.

I want to thank everyone who has been at the Carlton Football Club over my ten-year career. You’ve taught me so much, and I truly consider you all my family.

To the men who have served as senior coach throughout my career, Brett Ratten, Mick Malthouse, John Barker and Brendon Bolton, thank you for having faith in me and for all of your guidance. Thanks also to Shane Rogers, who was the man responsible for getting me to the Blues via the 2007 National Draft, and to all of the assistant coaches/development coaches that I have worked with throughout the years. Your patience and support won’t soon be forgotten.

To my teammates and everyone I’ve played with over the years, thank you for the memories. I’ll miss being in at the Club every day, and I’ll certainly miss all the laughs, but I’m determined to stay in touch. You won’t get rid of me that easily! The same goes with all the staff at the Club. To the medical personnel, trainers, fitness staff and weights coaches, thank you for keeping me going for all these years! I have also forged some fantastic relationships with the Club’s administration staff during my time and I’ve been involved with projects that I couldn’t have dreamed of before I started playing AFL.

To the Carlton Cheer Squad… What can I say? Thank you for always being there for me. I have loved getting to know you all over the years. I’d like to make a special mention to Caity Gough for all her support.

I’d also like to acknowledge Paul Ryan, who has been my player sponsor for my whole career. I’m sure there were better options, Paul, but I truly appreciate your loyalty! Thanks also to my manager Colin Young for all that you have done for me.

My family means the world to me, and I wouldn’t have had such a long and enjoyable career had it not been for the support of some key individuals. To my dad, thank you for always being there for me and for driving me to live my dream to play AFL. To my beautiful wife Abby, thank you for being my rock. I can’t wait to see what the next chapter of our life together brings.

Finally, to everyone who cheered me on throughout the years, thank you. You’ll never know how your support and energy drove me and motivated me.

I have loved every minute of my time at the Carlton Football Club. Never once did I take for granted the privilege of donning the Navy Blue and running out in front of our incredible members and supporters. I’m not afraid to say that there have been a few tears shed over the last week or so thinking about how much I’m going to miss the roar of the Blues faithful after a big moment, but, having played for 10 seasons, I certainly have enough memories to last me a lifetime.

It feels a bit surreal that it’s my turn to hang up the boots, but the time is right. I am certain that the Club is in the best position it’s been during my time here, and I can’t wait to see all of our youngsters blossom into the stars I know they’ll be. I promise that I’ll give my all in the coming weeks, whether at AFL or VFL level, and hopefully we can pinch a couple more wins.

I will remain a devoted Bluebagger, so you can expect this washed-up old footballer to tap you on the shoulder at some stage and ask to join you for a beer at a game! I’m happy to get the first shout!

Thank you again for all of your incredible support throughout the years. I’ll never forget it.

Dennis

d296a0f4-f255-4e3d-b9d4-2f2ef25eee84.jpg

I always Liked Dennis, from getting caught with the ball against Sydney in that final to kicking 4 goals from about 50m out at the G due to a wind pocket.

good sense of humour, thanks for your service Dennis.

One of my favourite players at Carlton loved watching his famous chase downs of Dangerfield and his kicking accuracy when playing forward. Was at his best as the odd one out alongside the three 'amigos' All the best Dennis.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done Dennis.

Been a fave of mine and really had to endure some rough treatment from fans and even team mates. Remember early in his career when a few notable CFC players simply wouldn't kick him the ball.

Hope he has plenty of kids because he had a terrific rig for footy and if they can get a footy in his kids hands at 6 years of age (instead of 17 or 18 like Dennis did) they'll be terrific players.

As HBF said, got the most out of himself. Remember watching his audition tape when he was at Swans and how he just kept hunting the ball carrier and finally got his man. Persistence personified.

Loved his speed (remember him running down Dangerfield twice in a pre-season game a few year ago) and his kicking, especially for goal on the run improved a lot over his time at the club.

Best of luck Dennis.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/sites/Carlton/news/2017-08-08/armfield-calls-time

“Dennis was the epitome of a team-first footballer and he has been a very loyal servant of the Carlton Football Club for over ten years,” McKay said.

“He has been a fantastic role model for our younger players and along with his on-field contribution, has been a passionate ambassador for a number of charities who have benefitted from his work in that space. His recent integration into the Club’s AFLW program speaks volumes of his genuine passion in helping others.”

ArmfieldStynesAug8Pic.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back