Game Day Around The Grounds Rnds 1 - 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Edit: Leigh Fisher was umpiring

I'm sorry. It still irks me that he's allowed to umpire Saints games.

Just like it pissed me off when we got Bannister

Internal bias and self awareness is a thing. You're highly likely to go out of your way to show you're not biased for your former club or to just be natural and your internal bias takes control even when unintended.

Thank Christ Gather Round is over.

Contrary to what Gil and the media say, I honestly believe the whole concept was a flop, and imo, produced the worst/most unwatchable games of footy so early in the season, in well over a decade.

I disagree.

Didn't go to all the games I had tickets for but looking beyond Carlton...

Last night's game was genuinely one of the most exciting wet weather games I've ever attended. Dogs pressure was insane for about two and a half to three quarters of that game. Port overcame it which in itself was exciting to see.

IF it wasn't Gather Round but it was still accessible to me I wouldn't have attended.

The atmosphere at all of the games I did get to was very positive. The live sites were packed with supporters enjoying themselves. There was minimal club culture clashes. No Crows supporters rubbed in their win though I wore my Carlton caps everywhere. It was all good fun.

Walking Rundle Mall earlier today and seeing international tourists stopping by the Rebel AFL Merch store out in the mall demonstrated to me that those who attended at least one game found the experience enjoyable. Quite a few bought merch. I'm not usually a people watcher so it was eye opening.

I think the AFL (and SA govt) got exactly what they needed out of this round. It's a huge success.

I think I will give the Anzac Day game a miss next week.

I want both bum ass/trash teams to lose, and the media hype is going to be unbearable.
You okay buddy?

I disagree.

Last night's game was genuinely one of the most exciting wet weather games I've ever attended. Dogs pressure was insane for about two and a half to three quarters of that game. Port overcame it which in itself was exciting to see.

IF it wasn't Gather Round but it was still accessible to me I wouldn't have attended.

The atmosphere at all of the games I did get to was very positive. The live sites were

Walking Rundle Mall earlier today and seeing international tourists stopping by the Rebel AFL Merch store out in the mall demonstrated to me that those who attended at least one game found the experience enjoyable. Quite a few bought merch. I'm not usually a people watcher so it was eye opening.

I think the AFL (and SA govt) got exactly what they needed out of this round. It's a huge success.
that's a new low - vics referred to as "international tourists".............

Gotta say well done to the city and state for putting on a helluva carnival..

So many good restaurants here - absolutely world class foodies city. Impossible to do anything more than scratch the surface over a week and that's without leaving the city centre (going to Hahndorf tomorrow as that's named after the captain of the ship my Dad's side originated from).

The whole thing has just been done superbly. Public transport is very easy to get anywhere in the city (including to AO, given my mobility issues that's a huge tick), people are super friendly and welcoming, etc. People actually move out of the disabled spots on public transport when they see someone with a motorised scooter or even a walker like I have.

I fully recommend those who were on the fence this year come in the future.

I literally didn't hear a car horn the 3 or 4 days I was there. Blew my mind.

Lovely city and a great vibe - they were genuinely pumped to have Gather Round and all the interstate folk visiting. It felt like a GF before our match (I'm personally pretty cynical re Gather Round - obviously just a money-maker for AFL - but can't deny that it was fun being there). Was nice. Seems Adelaide would be an easy place to live (and confirmed by some friends we caught up with who do live there) - good restaurants/bars, little traffic, all amenities, 20 mins to the hills with mountain-biking, hikes and vineyards, amazing coast line 20 mins south of the city, an hour to good surf etc. McLaren Vale was beautiful. Locals/Crows supporters were very friendly with us on the train on way to footy and at bars before/afterwards. Had a great time.

that's a new low - vics referred to as "international tourists".............

Love it. Saw some North Americans and Euros buying merch :p

Whats this about?

Whenever a home team's player kicks a goal they blast the goal scorer's chosen song.

Brisbane's done it for a couple of years now.

Every club did it during Gather Round

And then they flash the lights around the stadium as well

I literally didn't hear a car horn the 3 or 4 days I was there. Blew my mind.

I can confirm similar experience. I'm staying on North Tce, one of the busiest roads here opposite the unis and major hospitals. Aside from the odd ambulance I've heard nothing from the other vehicles on the road.

Hate to say it but no Howe, Lipinski, Cameron, Cox, McStay and De Goey but Collingwood turn up and roll the undefeated Saints.

Would like some of that spirit. Sick of the injury narrative, or the "hey we dont have that fringe player available so it was always unlikely we would get up".

Yes still bitter about Thursday.

Whenever a home team's player kicks a goal they blast the goal scorer's chosen song.

Oh ok,yeah i did notice that shenanigans happening. Surely this isnt going to happen at games in Melb?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hate to say it but no Howe, Lipinski, Cameron, Cox, McStay and De Goey but Collingwood turn up and roll the undefeated Saints.

Would like some of that spirit. Sick of the injury narrative, or the "hey we dont have that fringe player available so it was always unlikely we would get up".

Yes still bitter about Thursday.

Media outlets have speculated that a virus swept through the club as well during the week.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I disagree.

The atmosphere at all of the games I did get to was very positive. The live sites were packed with supporters enjoying themselves. There was minimal club culture clashes. No Crows supporters rubbed in their win though I wore my Carlton caps everywhere. It was all good fun.

And it's likely to be more popular and successful in the coming years.

I didn't even realise it was on until just before the season started and couldn't organise myself to go.

I may go next year however.

Well if ever I was a footballer, my chosen song would be "Anarchy in the UK" by the Sex Pistols.

Our % :(

Ft31oudaQAEcS-X

if you do, organise your accommodation early. Quite high for those that left it late

$1400ish from Wednesday to checkout Tuesday. Got in early so not sure how much others paid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back