Game Day Around the Grounds - Rounds 1 - 5

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Hurley's the only one that's played some quality football this year. The rest haven't set the world on fire.

But you're right in the sense that it does show that the teams with smaller players are having more success these days.

Smaller? Reid and Cox were decent targets.

Don't get too carried away with the Tigers, will be interesting where they sit after round 16 or so

Essendope will never get far with Worsfold. Bloke had hands down the best midfield in the competition when you consider ruckman Kerr, Cousins, Judd and Cox. Managed one flag.
Won “Party Team of the Year” every single year he was there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it would have been his second stint at the club when we've been a basket case
Glad he learned all our bad habits before taking them with him to *.

Smaller? Reid and Cox were decent targets.

Don't get too carried away with the Tigers, will be interesting where they sit after round 16 or so

I already explained in detail that I'm not carried away with Richmond at all in the draft thread.

Pies team is predominantly smalls. Same deal with Tigers.

Didn't say a team with talls can't succeed. Just saying, it hasn't really happened in recent times.

FWIW, Cox only kicked 2 and Reid just the 1. 3 goals total from your 2 tall targets don't equate to them being decent targets.

Treloar, Sidebottom and WHE combined for 7 goals. When the mids are consistently kicking more than the tall targets, it highlights it even further.

I already explained in detail that I'm not carried away with Richmond at all in the draft thread.

Pies team is predominantly smalls. Same deal with Tigers.

Didn't say a team with talls can't succeed. Just saying, it hasn't really happened in recent times.

FWIW, Cox only kicked 2 and Reid just the 1. 3 goals total from your 2 tall targets don't equate to them being decent targets.

Treloar, Sidebottom and WHE combined for 7 goals. When the mids are consistently kicking more than the tall targets, it highlights it even further.
Might be that the competition regarding forwards is changing however there are still teams that have the 2 main forwards ie:crows,kangas,eagles.Also the resting big body mid is becoming increasingly important as well.

I actually think we have all underrated Collingwood

Watched a few of their games. Their style is so odd, it's very much hack it forward and run hard. When they try hit up a target it's often a turnover. But they have the pace to make it work so good luck to them.

Richmonds success is about process.

Unfortunately I don't see any team who are as reliable as the Tigers in bringing pressure week in and week out.

So different from 6-8 or so years ago when there were some good strong pressure sides.

The comp is the weakest its been since 1990.

Watched a few of their games. Their style is so odd, it's very much hack it forward and run hard. When they try hit up a target it's often a turnover. But they have the pace to make it work so good luck to them.

Very strong, deep midfield...and somehow Howe and Dunn are holding up in defence.

Ben Reid is going well be very injury prone.

Might be that the competition regarding forwards is changing however there are still teams that have the 2 main forwards ie:crows,kangas,eagles.Also the resting big body mid is becoming increasingly important as well.

We've got the resting big bodied mid with Cripps. So that's good news for us.

2 main forwards is what I think we'd be aiming for. With three, it can become a problem. They all need to be able to work together and they need two quick small forwards that apply a lot of tackling pressure otherwise it can come apart on the MCG in particular.

Very strong, deep midfield...and somehow Howe and Dunn are holding up in defence.

Ben Reid is going well be very injury prone.

Collingwood remind me a bit of Richmond the way they play...lots of run and overlap, lots of defensive pressure forcing turnovers...again essentially the plan is to overwhelm the opposition with relentless running power.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back